Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 45 Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 1:49am
He better be.  He is bringing me a Bantam part!
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 1:44am
Originally posted by Night0wl Night0wl wrote:

Art,
No. ...........I will be hauling one back home with me though! :)

Glad to see you took my advise and got a driver while you working on your project
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 3:52am
It just fell in my lap.LOL
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2012 at 4:47pm
I had to do a search just to find my own project, it's been so long!LOL
Not really, but it has been a while since I posted something on my project.
I got my original wheels sandblasted the other day.
A couple of them are ruff where the valve stem used to be.
The others are pretty good.  Here is the stamping I found inside each one.
Made in the USA
by MOTOR WHEEL
No date code that I can find. Angry But, I am confident they are the original wheels to the Jeep.
I believe the 569 to be the Motor Wheel style number.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
fritz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2012 at 8:10pm
those came out nice and clean!  i might need to find a couple of those extra large valve stems like you though.
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2013 at 12:25pm
Wow, has it actually been this long since I updated my post?
It's hard to believe!  I have been busy with just life in general.
Proud to say though, that theCJ2Apage.com has now made it to Africa.  Liberia to be exact!
Thought it fitting to post here about this little Jeep boy.  He is part of a local orphanage. 
No parents, no other family.  I hope to get back on my project soon but other things are more important right now. 

Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2013 at 12:57pm
Great to hear from you Dave! Sorry I missed your call the other night. If you see any flattys over there be sure to post up
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2015 at 12:39am
Okay, So Yes.... It has been a very long time since I have been on the page.
It has been a busy last few years and focus has been elsewhere.
I do have some updated news on my Jeep however.
Most of you know the history of my Jeep and my endless search for the original motor that was taken from my dads place.  The search continues after 4 years now but I have to move on.  I had purchased an early '46  motor to go in my early 45.  Looked for years for a '45 motor but no luck.
Then comes my good buddy!  He found me this Very Early '45 2A motor, that while not the original is about as close as I am going to get.  I would imagine it was built possibly within the week or atleast the month my motor would have been built.  It is serial number CJ2A10222.  Making it #222 of course.
I am excited about this opportunity and plan to put this in my 45. 
Here are some pics:
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2015 at 12:45am
Glad to see it didn't fall off the back of your Cherokee. Now get rebuilding! Look forward to seeing you 2A completed for the next reunion
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

4x4Dad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4x4Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2015 at 5:09am
Great find, Dave!

That's going to be a fantastic, original rig when you are done. It takes real precision and perseverance to do what you are doing. (Mine's a lumpy mutt with parts spanning at least three decades.)
Tucker

51 CJ3A with the front end of a 2A and a Ford V8.
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 9:10pm
Update: So the motor (#222) is officially in the machine shop and getting taken apart as of today!
Sorry no pictures to post on it but I will try to get some.  
Looking forward to getting that part of the build done!
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Night0wl Night0wl wrote:

Update: So the motor (#222) is officially in the machine shop and getting taken apart as of today!
Sorry no pictures to post on it but I will try to get some.  
Looking forward to getting that part of the build done!

Try to get pics of the machining date on the pan rail b4 work starts, for your records, and for my curiosity.... thx
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 2:35am
Hmmm, that engine looks familiar.Smile It's traveled a long ways from Bob Suden's shed!Clap Hope it works out well!     BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2017 at 2:17am
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

Try to get pics of the machining date on the pan rail b4 work starts, for your records, and for my curiosity.... thx

Will do.

Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Clap Hope it works out well!     BW

That makes two of us!
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 1:15am
Here are some updated pics from the machine shop.  
Low, you can see a stamp "1" on the corner of the pan rail.  I didn't see a date.

According to the machinist I will have to get a new crank shaft.  One of the rod bearings had spun and that area of the crank is now at .060 under.  
This is a chain drive timing engine so I if it cannot be fixed, I will need to find a replacement crank.

Block goes into the hot tank this week.  Let's hope there are not cracksConfused
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 1:40am
Any good machine shop should know of a company that they can send the crank to and have it splash welded and turned back down....

Also, I see the "1" you are referring to, but the machining date will be at the rear, on the passenger side.....  the pass side needs wire brushed, as I think when i enlarge the photo, I can start to see the stamping...

My #10170 was casted 6/29     I will dig for the machining date, but it was 7/?/45

In a few weeks I am picking up engine #10034, I am curious on the dates of that engine as well...

Edited by lowenuf - 05 Sep. 2017 at 1:46am
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 1:53am
I asked at least 3 times about the crank being repaired.
Even told him this would most likely be  a Sunday driver / Parade  driver.
He said it was down to far to repair.
I believe he has done several of these engines before and of course I am not the expert here.
Not to many of these machine shops around.
I may end up getting it repaired myself if need be.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2017 at 1:56am
let me talk to my "old school" guy, and see what he says...
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>