Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #16890, Cape Town

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2016 at 6:00pm
Haha I think you are right smfulle! Waiting on parts when you really want to work on your jeep lets you spend time on things that you might otherwise have overlooked. And I guess it just feels nice to do it properly! 

Thank you for the compliments :)
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
sm1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sm1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2016 at 4:37am
Impressive work.  I own a 46 cj2a #16265.  It was repainted long  before I found it but it still has some original color you might be interested in seeing.  I'll try to attach the photos.
sm 46 CJ-2A 16265
sm1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sm1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2016 at 12:00am
1946 Harvest Tan
sm 46 CJ-2A 16265
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2016 at 1:25am
Originally posted by sm1986 sm1986 wrote:

1946 Harvest Tan

I see that you have the same 'passenger side heater mount' option that my Jeep has.Wink
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
sm1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sm1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2016 at 12:08am
There is a matching hole below (out of photo).  I still have the original snow plow that was on the jeep (its now on the front of my 55 Allis.  If I remember right the hydraulic lines ran through those firewall "vents".
sm 46 CJ-2A 16265
Sarge 46 CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2016 at 9:16am
Originally posted by sm1986 sm1986 wrote:

There is a matching hole below (out of photo).  I still have the original snow plow that was on the jeep (its now on the front of my 55 Allis.  If I remember right the hydraulic lines ran through those firewall "vents".

sm1986 Thank you for the photos and compliment! It's actually almost time to paint the body so any reference is great. I really hope that I can find someone down here that I can work with to get the colour right! 

Those holes in the firewall are peculiar. The 'vents' in yours seem to have served a reasonable purpose at least haha but I feel like mine just has way too many and I've no idea what someone would have needed them all for. 

The hole through my body's data tag is the strangest one for me. It looks way too much like a bullet hole...

1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 10:03am
It is terrible that so much time has gone by without having much progress to report on.

So I have been waiting on some parts to arrive, and these would have been the last that I needed to get the motor started for the first time. I set aside the Christmas holidays to get that done but I am still waiting on this order (that was placed in September/October of last year).

In the meantime I have been doing what I can with some of the other parts of the Jeep. The rims are now finished and are ready for their new shoes! The body parts are patiently waiting for me to finish up with all the mechanical things on the chassis. Once that is done I can focus solely on getting everything drilled and aligned before it all gets painted.

The end is slowly creeping into sight!

Edited by Sarge 46 CJ2A - 09 Feb. 2017 at 10:06am
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 12:40pm
Hang in there Sascha! I know how it goes waiting for parts... it can be extremely frustrating. But you have done some excellent work, and the results are there for all to see.

Never, ever give up! Keep on pushing, and one day, probably sooner than you think, you will be driving one of the nicest CJ2A restorations in South Africa. Keep pushing towards that dream!

It has helped me to have multiple aspects of my project progressing at any one time. So when one side hits a snag, you can carry on with other things while you sort out the hold up. This helps to keep my "gees" up and keep from getting disillusioned with the project.

Keep it up my friend, you will get there!

Mike
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2017 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

Hang in there Sascha! I know how it goes waiting for parts... it can be extremely frustrating. But you have done some excellent work, and the results are there for all to see.

Never, ever give up! Keep on pushing, and one day, probably sooner than you think, you will be driving one of the nicest CJ2A restorations in South Africa. Keep pushing towards that dream!

It has helped me to have multiple aspects of my project progressing at any one time. So when one side hits a snag, you can carry on with other things while you sort out the hold up. This helps to keep my "gees" up and keep from getting disillusioned with the project.

Keep it up my friend, you will get there!

Mike

Mike, thank you very much for your kind words. It sure means a lot Smile
You certainly know the struggle just as well... But perhaps our jeeps will mean that much more to us because of it.

It is true what you say about having different parts of the project progressing at the same time. I guess I just like to finish off one thing before I get into the next. I know that it is not a very efficient way to work though so perhaps I should commit to getting the body parts ready for paint, while I wait for the other parts. It'll definitely be a big motivation to see the body in it's proper colour!

By the way, your jeep is looking fantastic as well! Soon they will both be on (or off Tongue) the road where they belong! Thanks again Mike.
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2017 at 1:44pm
Greetings from a stormy Cape Town :)

Once again it has been too long since I have been able to share any progress on #16890. The project has not been standing completely still though, and I finally have the chance to share some very exciting news indeed! And it's in the form of new Jeep shoes!! :)

Some things are happening with the motor as well. And it won't be too long before the motor and all the transmission components are fitted permanently. I've also changed my mind and decided that the bushings in the steering box should be replaced while everything is still easy to work on. More updates will follow soon.

Thanks for checking in :)
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2017 at 12:16am
Wow, that looks nice!  What color will the body be?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2017 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Wow, that looks nice!  What color will the body be?

Thank you very much Sir! The colour will be harvest tan, as it originally was :) 
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
Frans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 1:06pm
It looks good!!
Where did you buy NDT tires?
Frans
Smithfield, South Africa
Tel 0794317256

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Frans Frans wrote:

It looks good!!
Where did you buy NDT tires?

Hi Frans, thank you very much!
I bought them through a gentleman named Claus, in Namibia.
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
ophthoidoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ophthoidoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 5:17am

Howzit & nice work Matie (quite a compliment from an Ikey ;-))
I traded Cape Town for Southern California a while ago.
Just finishing up my rig in time for our local July 4th parade.
I'll attach a pic.
Enjoying your thread & attention to detail.
If I can help sourcing anything here in the states, let me know.
Best
Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by ophthoidoug ophthoidoug wrote:

Howzit & nice work Matie (quite a compliment from an Ikey ;-))
I traded Cape Town for Southern California a while ago.
Just finishing up my rig in time for our local July 4th parade.
I'll attach a pic.
Enjoying your thread & attention to detail.
If I can help sourcing anything here in the states, let me know.
Best
Doug

Howzit Doug, and thank you very much! I know to appreciate it ;)
Your rig looks superb! And thank you for that offer! I might well take you up on it.
Cheers :)
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
bundu jeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundu jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2017 at 11:57am
It is such a pleasure seeing an old flat fender jeep being brought back to life and watching the different stages of your restoration work being recorded as you have done here.

It is not only fun but also a sense of achievement when you finally receive all the missing parts that you need to do a proper restoration. The harrowing time for me was when I waited for the new parts to arrive from the States when the SA Post Office was on strike!!! Luckily I got everything that was ordered. All these experiences turn into individual stories for each part!  You treasure these memories when the restoration is finally completed.

Your restoration work so far is excellent!
48 CJ2A #212540
47 CJ2A #114977

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2017 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by bundu jeep bundu jeep wrote:

It is such a pleasure seeing an old flat fender jeep being brought back to life and watching the different stages of your restoration work being recorded as you have done here.

It is not only fun but also a sense of achievement when you finally receive all the missing parts that you need to do a proper restoration. The harrowing time for me was when I waited for the new parts to arrive from the States when the SA Post Office was on strike!!! Luckily I got everything that was ordered. All these experiences turn into individual stories for each part!  You treasure these memories when the restoration is finally completed.

Your restoration work so far is excellent!

Thank you very much bundu jeep! 

The missing parts are are slowly but surely finding their way here so the end seems to be creeping into sight! It is certainly feels good to be at the point where everything is mostly just assembly work. Interestingly I had exactly the same experience with parts coming into the country during the time when the post office was unstable! Very stressful.. Especially because that one in particular was quite an important order. Luckily we both ended up getting our parts! You are right. All of these things will make the project that much more satisfying when it is finally complete!

Thank you again for your kind words. 
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>