Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MY '47 CJ-2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 1:53am
OK, glad your up and running.   the "ramp" is the V area that the shaft rides in?  two pics show wear but if not to bad can one simply file the worn part down flush?

I was amazed at how much filing debri came out of the threaded holes.   Before dissembling, the two case pieces looked to have a very wide gap. Like maybe the unit was not tighten up correctly.   I was also looking for alignment markings. Instead I found over 5 punch random punch marks so I made a straight across marks with a sharp chisel.  Unti still may be out 180 but not from me, LOL. 

I have a series 4 P/L but it's a 19 spline unit.   Wonder if changing out the 19 spline gears to the 30 spline would give a better unit then this after-market one.  regardless, I still would need a new clutch pak.

I will post pic of the other half of the case and the clutch pak asap.

OH----looked into those P/L's for  the d-27's-----all are right hand thread.  KRAP!   still might be worth getting for the clutch pak, cross shats, and cones.   herm wants around 350.

Edited by jeepsterjim - 23 July 2020 at 1:56am
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 2:20am
You can find old stock DS clutch packs for $120
Those bolts possibly came that way from the aftermarket mfg. along with the tap shavings ?
Can you post pic of a bolt head so I can see the markings ?
I have never filed on any of the ramps. I would leave em be unless deep gouged.
If case halves are misaligned 180* upon re-assembly you can easily tell because the bolts will begin to bind long before they are tight.

Edited by oldtime - 23 July 2020 at 2:31am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 4:15am
looks as if Nitro gear maybe selling this P/L look alike unit.  At their site one can see that the case bolts have star washers.  No ID numbers though.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 10:17pm
OK, here's the bolts as requested.  Also shows the other half of the case. 
You can see the wear pattern in the "V" area as well.

On the bottom machined area there are indents from?

the bolts along with the other half of the case has the letters AM in them.    Nitro gear maybe the ones selling this unit.  I am trying to contact them but keep getting their answering machine.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 1:25am
OK more pics

This is a 30 spline set up for a series 3.  This is a "AFTER MARKET" OVERSEAS  MADE P/L.
Fits a 1971 D-44 flanged 30 spline rear diff

Wear looks  OK?????

showing 30 spline gear going through "hub?"     Is this the same set up as what Spicer P/L has?

Pic...shows gears.....are the gears good?

Pics of spined gears and back to "HUB?"    is this the same gears as SPICER P/L?

More gears pics.....any good?

Input is important since all the above parts are made overseas.  

Knowing if Spicer Dana P/L parts can interchange is important too.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 1:34am

Pic show front and back side of what I call a hub/cup....ya it's not correct, LOL

Clutch pack
Left side clutches are from a genuine Spicer P/L------ right side clutches are the overseas version
They look the same BUT the 2 cone washers on the overseas version are nearly flat.

It does appear that a Spicer clutch pack would work.

Edited by jeepsterjim - 25 July 2020 at 2:28am
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 2:06am
Never saw any case bolts like those before.
The case ramps look like normal wear to me but the casting gouges on the clutch face are not typical.
DS 30 spline Model 44 Powr Loks used two different styles of side gear. The one from early 1960’s we’re 2 piece side gears plus the side gear cup. Later DS versions have 1 piece side gears as shown in your pic. Most side gear wear is noted where the gear teeth contact the cup AKA cup gouges.
Your pinion mate gears and side gears look in really good shape from what I can see.
If you have no deep striations not any fingernail deep scratches on the clutch plates they are acceptable for  further service.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 2:42am

Here's a better pic of the clutch plates.   upper center is the cone  and one of the two plates is supposed to be cone shaped too.....both are darn flat.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 2:47am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Never saw any case bolts like those before.
The case ramps look like normal wear to me but the casting gouges on the clutch face are not typical.
DS 30 spline Model 44 Powr Loks used two different styles of side gear. The one from early 1960’s we’re 2 piece side gears plus the side gear cup. Later DS versions have 1 piece side gears as shown in your pic. Most side gear wear is noted where the gear teeth contact the cup AKA cup gouges.
Your pinion mate gears and side gears look in really good shape from what I can see.
If you have no deep striations not any fingernail deep scratches on the clutch plates they are acceptable for  further service.

This P/L was made in India.   Some say randy's differential made them but one can find them for sale through Nitro Gear for under 600.00.  Still trying to find out how well they hold up.   Nobody down here has parts OR don't know that Spicer parts will work.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 8:51pm
I needed a clutch pack and cross shafts for the P/L 4 series uint that will go into the D-30 Frt. diff. Found aftermarket overseas stuff but proved  expensive and  there is that quality issue.
QTM had NOS series 4 P/L units for the D-25/27's at a fair price and the clutch pack and cross shaft is "suppose" to be the same as the D-30's P/L.   I bought one and SAVED  a good a amount  of cash and came out with NOS parts.   A win win deal for me.  

The unit  looks near in perfect shape.

Came with the manual and sticker.   
One more step closer!!!!! MAYBELOL
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 1:42am
I have a 1963 F-134 motor, rear motor plate, and bell housing that will be used in my 2A.

QUESTION:   what are the six 5/16 bolt holes for?    Neither the plate or bell housing has the bolt holes for them.

Was this some sort of military thing which requires special parts?

SEE PIC

Edited by jeepsterjim - 16 Aug. 2020 at 1:50am
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 7:30pm
No ONE?   I''ve searched with no results.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 8:34pm
I haven't started any searches yet, but I know there are people in this thread that already know.  But here's my .02 cents worth.

I've got one F-head.  I can't see anything in those holes. The backing plate matches the bell housing and mates the housing to the back of the engine.  If you can do that, I'm not sure if those holes will matter much. 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 10:27pm
The picture looks very similar to one of Wes Knettles photos from willysmjeeps.

I believe that block would have been from an M38A1 Military Jeep with the waterproof bellhousing.

A post on WillysMJeeps should get you the answer you are seeking.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

The picture looks very similar to one of Wes Knettles photos from willysmjeeps.

I believe that block would have been from an M38A1 Military Jeep with the waterproof bellhousing.

A post on WillysMJeeps should get you the answer you are seeking.

I saw the rig that the motor was pulled from which was about 2 hours before I showed up and it came out of a 1963 CJ-5.  There is no rear freeze plug on the motor.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2020 at 1:51am
UPDATE:
Jay----"Deer chaser" found  some pics of at least part of the puzzle.  It might be the total puzzle. THANKS JAY.....owe you a Filipes Pizza in Napa.  

This rear motor plate  has the extra 6 holes in it.  

SEE PICS

This would be the "inside" portion of the plate.  I went out and looked at the F-134 and the 6 holes are not threaded so the bolts may thread into the rectangle welded plates from the outside in. It's hard to tell in the pic.

This is the side the goes flush to the block.

Edited by jeepsterjim - 17 Aug. 2020 at 1:55am
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 9:24pm
The plate appears to have been painted OD at one time, implying M-38A1 origin--to me, anyway. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 1:34am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

The plate appears to have been painted OD at one time, implying M-38A1 origin--to me, anyway. 

Yes......From the little what I have learned  this plate was designed for the M38, M38A1,  & ? waterproof clutch assembly.   Still not sure if it took a special bellhousing though.  

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>