Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MY '47 CJ-2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 9:29pm
Had the chance to do more work on the new motor mount this last week.  Here's what's been done.

On the drivers side of the M38 motor mount plate, it has a piece of it that protrudes out, due to the later style fuel pump. I made a plate that goes around the protrusion so that the new motor mount bracket will fit snug up against the plate. 

Pic shows the main brackets I needed to make up. Basicly I used 1 3/4" square tubing and 1/4" x 2" x 7" piece of flat bar. The square tubing has a sleeve that's pressed through the front and butts up against the opposite inner wall for support.  Thus preventing dimpling if over tighten. The bracket is shaped to contuor the timing case cover and is notched so one can get a 3/4" wrench inside.

You can see the sleeve and the motor mount bracket on top of the frame rail. Had fun getting the frame rail bracket to sit level in all directions.

Rear side of Bracket.  You can see the spacer plate, how the bracket contours the timing case cover, and the notch for the bolt. 

Back side of barcket with the other piece welded up.

Brackets welded up and temporarly mounted in place.  The frame rail bracket also has  inner sleeves where the bolts go through the bracket and into frame. Side view.

Back side of the new mount.

Front side of new mount.  I need to finish welding the two brackets up. OOPS!LOL Top right corner of the two brackets.

All in all the new mount is butt ugly but is going to be plenty strong, easy to remove, and will give the Saginaw style steering shaft plenty of room.  Time for a little welding, painting, and install for goodSmile
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 9:56pm
*Edit-Wrong thread. Confused

Edited by Freedom21 - 14 Apr. 2019 at 10:18am
09 JKU
97 TJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 5:54pm
Finished up the drivers side motor mount today. 

Side view

Top view

Front view---fixed the oops weldWink

Before making this mod, I took trailer leveling jacks and a 4x4  and placed them accross the oil pan then raised the jacks up until  the 4x4 was just snug.  From there I took to many measurements to make sure everything stays within specs.  After finishing up the mod, all the specs are dead on.Big smile         This motor mount mod will greatly help with the upcoming Saginaw steering conversion.

StarA big thanks to the  those that helped out!Star           k 

Edited by jeepsterjim - 15 Apr. 2019 at 6:01pm
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2019 at 1:21pm
This week, I'm working on making up the steering box mounting plates.  I am using a manaul and P/S box to play with.  Luckily, I saved a jeepster commando P/S frame to box adapter to use for the Box bolt pattern.  Many of you know that 3 out of the 4 bolt holes from  a P/S box are the same as the three bolt manual or P/S box. Shocked So, I am going to make up a 4 bolt P/S box  mounting plate and use  a thre hole manual box on it.  When mounting, I will use a P/S box  and such which will give me the option of changing out manual steering to P/S.  Won't need to redo the mount.  Yes I like manual steering.Smile

I have made up front inner side frame rails  to help strengthen the frame.

Note:  I mentioned useing a Jeepster Commando steering box adapter for the bolt hole pattern.  It works great for that task.  HOWEVER, from my past experience with these adapters, They are junk!!  Please don't rely on them.  If they were safe, IMO, I would use one on my conversion.   I have replaced dozens of them for customers.

Jim

Edited by jeepsterjim - 18 Apr. 2019 at 1:24pm
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic