Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My '47

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 51>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 4:51am
Dennis my first seat I did I had cut the foam the same size as the plywood and the fabric was rubbing hard on the plywood, I had to cut the foam about 1" wider around the plywood ,that way the fabric will not wear on the plywood.Hope it helps,it can be done either way.

Giles
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 5:08am
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

Dennis my first seat I did I had cut the foam the same size as the plywood and the fabric was rubbing hard on the plywood, I had to cut the foam about 1" wider around the plywood ,that way the fabric will not wear on the plywood.Hope it helps,it can be done either way.

Giles

Giles, Thank you for letting know about your experience. Unfortunately I already cut the foam the same size as the base. Where were you when I cut them months ago! LOL

It took me a while to find 2 matching foam density at the store. I bought one over a year ago and the second one months later. I will  be going to the store tomorrow and if they have 2 of them same type I'll get them as they were not that expensive.

If they don't have them I think I'll get a one inch thick softer foam and attach them to the side so they will roll under the wood protecting the fabric. Now that I sit back and reread this post I believe I will go this route.  Thank you again for giving me the idea! I'm super excited to have actual seat in this thing!

BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 6:12am
If you have a Jo Ann Fabrics out there you might check them for foam. I was able to choose from thickness, firmness, and they cut with an electric filet knife in any size I wanted - as I recall.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 7:23am
Originally posted by BENSH BENSH wrote:

If you have a Jo Ann Fabrics out there you might check them for foam. I was able to choose from thickness, firmness, and they cut with an electric filet knife in any size I wanted - as I recall.

I do have one out here and plan to walk through there tomorrow.
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 1:19pm
Looking good Dennis.    Thumbs Up
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
minnow1193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minnow1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 1:44pm
When I built my seat pans from wood like you're doing, I used t-nuts under the foam so I could bolt them to the frame. Worked well for me. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 4:10pm
Thanks Mike! I hope to have this ready for next years spring fling!

Originally posted by minnow1193 minnow1193 wrote:

When I built my seat pans from wood like you're doing, I used t-nuts under the foam so I could bolt them to the frame. Worked well for me. 

I was planning on using but my local hardware store only had them to 1/4 bolts. I am using 5/16 bolts to mount the pans. That actually worked in my favor, not buying them. Since I extended the drivers side frame the two rear mounting holes for the pan have little to no room to push a bolt through from the bottom into the pan. They are now over the rear floor pan. I'll get a photo in a moment.

I wanted to make these seats pads removable with out having to remove the complete seat frame, if for any reason that I need to just remove pads. I don't think I will ever have too but I like the option too!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 4:46pm
AngryAngryAngryAngry 
A blessing and disaster all at the same time! 

Jumped in the Willys to head to the store but ended up driving around the block, forgot something at home. Jumped back in the Jeep drive maybe 1/10th of a mile and something broke. Knocking. Cry
 Hoping maybe a valve spring broke but won't know until I take the side cover off.
 At least I was still by my apartment.

Sigh. Always something! 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 6:34pm
Here is that photo of the driver's side frame rear mounting holes. If I would have used The T nuts, the right side I may have been able to get a bolt up through it. The drivers side would be extremely difficult. Putting on a nut for the way I have it set up now may end up being just as difficult though.

Have not opened the side cover yet so no update on the motor.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 12:24am
What the huh?  You drive the Jeep more than halfway across the country without too much trouble and now it won't take you around the block?  It's testing you...  SmileAngryThumbs DownThumbs UpUnhappy
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 4:21am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

What the huh?  You drive the Jeep more than halfway across the country without too much trouble and now it won't take you around the block?  It's testing you...  SmileAngryThumbs DownThumbs UpUnhappy

Yup. I'm sure I could still drive it but it has a load knock.

I just took off the side inspection cover and felt each valve spring, nothing was looser then the last time I had it opened.  Me thinks this motor is finished.Cry.  I may take the head off and take a look but I think I should just concentrate on getting the other motor all finished up and installed.

I was hoping to get the other transfer case and transmission built so I could put in all three at the same time.

Edited by berettajeep - 16 July 2017 at 4:41pm
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 5:39pm
10 minutes ago when my phone said it was Sunny and no chance of rain.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 8:38pm
This is what I came up with the cushions and to protect the fabric from the wood base. 
Ignore my notes LOL More importantly Ignore the carpet and couch LOL

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 8:43pm
Bases painted. Front mounting bolts I used JB Weld to keep them in place. The rear mounts have spacers that are bolted in place and enough thread left to mount them. Still need to replace washers with fender washers.
The strips of wood are braces and hold downs for the fabric.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 2:26am
Side bolsters added. Once the adhesive is cured I will clean up the edges a little.

minnow1193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minnow1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 2:39pm
Do you have access to a pneumatic stapler? I used my narrow crown stapler with 5/8" staples to attach my canvas over the foam. I spaced them about 3/4" apart and snugged up the canvas as I went around. 

It was quick, neat and easy. 
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 2:55pm
Nice work Dennis, hope they turn out comfortable. You've inspired me to do something about my Jeep's seats.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by minnow1193 minnow1193 wrote:

Do you have access to a pneumatic stapler? I used my narrow crown stapler with 5/8" staples to attach my canvas over the foam. I spaced them about 3/4" apart and snugged up the canvas as I went around. 

It was quick, neat and easy. 

I will have to check at work later as they may have one.  Thank you for the suggestion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 51>