Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My '47

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 51>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 3:26am
There's a lot of that going around.  It can't be that hard to find just a 1/8" NPT plug.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Is that zerk fitting plugging the fill hole? That’ s how my jeep was   was. 

Don't blame me I didn't put it there! LOL  It has been removed and will be replaced with a plug, once it is rebuilt.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

There's a lot of that going around.  It can't be that hard to find just a 1/8" NPT plug.

It was not that difficult for me to get 2 of the plugs, I just forgot I already had one of them. LOL
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 1:42am
I think it was always hard for Bubba to find a plug.  He must never have looked very hard...  Smile
1988YJ7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1988YJ7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 3:13am
At least he put something in to fill the void that could be removed. Haven't we all found worse Bubba work than that?
Matt Miller

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 12:37am
Originally posted by 1988YJ7 1988YJ7 wrote:

At least he put something in to fill the void that could be removed. Haven't we all found worse Bubba work than that?

We probably all have.  Welcome to the page, 1988YJ7!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 5:43am
Finally finished the steering box by bolting the cover down and adding 140. Put fender back on as well.

Also started to fill in the cracks on the steering wheel with epoxy, so it is not one the Jeep yet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 2:12am
I trust you put the copper washers on the correct bolts? 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 2:46pm

I trust you put the copper washers on the correct bolts? 

I did. Not leaking yet...LOL but I still need to drive it... working on filling all the cracks in the steering wheel. Started to sand the epoxy down, made a mess so I will take the wheel to work and sand it there LOL
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 2:14am
Jeep looks great with the top offClap

How hard was the steering box rebuild?
I have two Jeeps with steering box’s that need rebuilt. 
Where did you get the parts?

Glad to see it moving again. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

Jeep looks great with the top offClap

How hard was the steering box rebuild?
I have two Jeeps with steering box’s that need rebuilt. 
Where did you get the parts?

Glad to see it moving again. 

Thanks Ben! Was not difficult to rebuild. Took way longer then it should have though.  

I did most of the rebuild at work.  Maintenance department, where I work, is located in the old auto shop. Unfortunately it is no longer set up like an auto shop or have any of the equipment.

Putting the box back in the Jeep happened behind the house on the dirt/sand/some grass/not level yard and nothing keeping the rain and wind away LOL

I bought the kit from http://quartertonparts.com/  
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 3:57pm
Just drove it to work! 8.8 miles. Steering felt better, less wandering on the road. Still not perfect but both axles need redone and I'm sure that will help the front so much more.

Steering box not leaking yet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 7:39am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Yay for that!  Replacing your kingpin bearings will make a world of difference, if they're as bad as mine were.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 8:40pm

Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Yay for that!  Replacing your kingpin bearings will make a world of difference, if they're as bad as mine were.

I know one has a little bit of play.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 3:14am
I've mentioned before that I had 270 degrees of play in my steering and replacing the kingpin bearings took out 180 degrees of play.  Rebuilding the Ross box took out another 45+ degrees.  Now what's left is in the bell crank.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 5:58pm
Got home yesterday and fixed something that should have been done when I put the new temp gauge sensor 5 years ago.

I finally removed the plumbing iron 3 way fitting.
Not sure why I did not remove it originally. Temp gauge never moved until I shut it off. (I wonder why.) The sensor was not picking up the temp of the anti freeze, since it was inside that 3 way fitting.

So it was cool after I removed that fitting and took it for a drive. Watched the gauge hit 190 ( I believe) then it dropped down to 160 and stayed around 160-175 the whole drive to work.

Still embarrassed it took me this long to correct it
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 7:30am
Been lacking in keeping this up to date.

Drove it to the Pacific Coast about 5 minutes away. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 7:39am
Couple days ago. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 51>