Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My '47

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 51>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2022 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

I removed the pistons from the '41 block that was in the Jeep.
So any guesses why I had no power and had smoke coming out the exhaust? LOL

What size are the pistons now & what shape is/are the bores in?

Pistons are .040. Walls actually don't look bad, shockingly. I'm not rebuilding this motor as I have the replacement waiting to go in, I just wanted to take it apart to investigate. 
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2022 at 11:50pm
Removed the hubs from my axle to compare with the four spares I have. I'll pick the two best ones and use on the axle that I am almost finished rebuilding.  
I also completely tore down the steering box. Going to clean it up and rebuild it. I rebuilt some of it roughly four years ago but this time I will get the horn reattached and working. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 1:21am
I am using the best parts I have so I disassembled most of both axles that were under the Jeep today. 
Originally when I put this Willys together all I did was change the 80/90 in them and the front bearings. Because of this the rear axle got louder and louder when I drove from Ohio, which I kind of expected but was on a time deadline.
Removing the drain plug on the 41, a nice shade of metallic silver fluid poured out. 

Removed the drums, backing plates and differential cover. I don't have a puller so I'll go to work tomorrow and clean/paint parts I already have there and when I leave bring one home to remove the shafts. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 1:27am
Not able to do more on the 41, I moved onto disassembling the Dana 25. Drained fluid (which looked way better than the rear) removed drums, backing plates, spindles, and axle shafts. Left thecover on for now. 
 Was surprised when I removed the axle shafts that they were Spicer ones. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 1:40am
Moving to the knuckles I found it interesting that there was two different knuckle seals. 

Top was on the passenger side which had bad king pins. Had some death wobble happen a few times and along with the rear axle howling that is the reason I stopped driving on the street.

Edited by berettajeep - 20 June 2022 at 1:41am
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 1:46am
Cleaned the warn hubs. Before and after sitting in some degreaser 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 9:41pm
Day off today so I spent it at work cleaning  and paintng parts LOL
 Cleaned up the hubs, steering box and all related pieces, miscellaneous hardware and skid plate then I went home.

Paint is drying in the sun, I am finished with the frame. Assembly will begin once I aquire some more parts. 
Frame and axles: 
Leaf spring bushings.
Shackle rubber seals and caps.
Shocks.
(2) shock mount nut.
Tie rod grease caps
Wheel cylinder rebuild kits front and rear.
Lug nuts (15)  and studs (15).
Metal brake lines.
Master cylinder rebuild.
Brake hoses, may have.

Drivetrain:
Clutch kit.
Starter ring, match to starter.
Carburetor rebuild kit.
Radiator hoses.
Metal fuel line.
Radiator flushed or new.

Have to start body work tooConfused

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 7:25pm
Starting to assemble. Putting more thought into this than the first time I built it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2022 at 7:07pm
Have not been updating this but have been doing stuff every day.  Today I finally brought the motor home after being at 2 different engine builders and stored at 2 different jobs for the last 7 years.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2022 at 1:36am
Yay!

Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2022 at 9:05am
Looking good! 
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2022 at 7:40pm
Today I wanted to mate the transmission to the engine.  
The bellhousing, flywheel, clutch and engine plate I have and was hoping would work was attached  to the 1941 L134 I had in the '47. The clutch is a 8.5. 
Problem is the flywheel will not go over the dowel pins on the new engines crankshaft. Largest area on the dowels on the engine are .560, the largest on the flywheel is .500 and both are tapered. Do I just file the flywheel until it fits? 
I do have the flywheel and engine plate when I bought the new to me motor. Both are larger than what I have and I would need to find the right bellhousing. This motor was in a '50's CJ5 instead a 'F' head motor for some odd reason. 

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2022 at 8:39pm
Eng and frame look very nice! Clap
If you can find the later bellhousing you could use the gear reduction land cruiser starter. $50 on rock auto. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2022 at 1:06am
Todays progress. Flywheel drilled out for the larger dowel pins. Transmission and transfer case mated to the engine and frame.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2022 at 12:21pm
I really like the block painted red with the black head. 
Looks super sharp Clap
Great work!
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
seven.bar.salvage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seven.bar.salvage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2022 at 8:57pm
Flatfender Ben makes a good point. You’ve already got everything bolted up but it is nice having an f head bellhousing so you can use that Landcruiser starter. Way cheaper and turns the engine over so much better than stock. Looking good love the build!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2022 at 1:05am
Since last update I've done what seems like a lot but also feels like it is taking forever.  Don't remember what I posted so I may repeat myself, I could look but what fun is that LOL

Had to change out the lever on the T/C for the hand brake out.  The lever that was with the T/C I rebuilt was straight and with the cable connected it dug into the cover. Swapped in the one I had in my Jeep, which is shaped more like a boomerang. Cable now clears the transfer cover.  I also swapped the bushing between both levers.

I filled all the gear boxes up with their respected lube. That next morning showed at the transfer case lowest mounting bolt and the companion flange were leaking fluid.  One was an easy fix with some sealant tape the other I'm not sure. I rebuilt the case a while back, maybe the seal dried out?  Flange I used may be worn to far?  I get an O.D of 1.548 if someone one knows what it actually is suppose to be. ( Have not searched for info yet)

Rebuilt my clutch bellcrank with new seals, felt and spring. I also tapped and put bolts to back the felt and added a zerk fitting. To me it makes sense to keep it greased.

Fuel pump and lines to carburetor are one. Used some heat insulator on the fuel line. Usually never gets hot enough here to warrant the use of it but I would like to attend the Oregon spring fling again, the first with a flatfender, and it may be needed there.

Oil filter and lines connected, which is rather exciting to me. Never had one before. I pumped oil into the oil pressure line port.

I now know why I did not have an oil filter before when I reinstalled the alternator a previous owner added, it would hit the bottom of the filter housing or the battery.  A quick search shows Jeep1942 makes a bracket which uses existing holes in the engine plate that I will be ordering.  Lowers the alternator and will clear everything. I hope.

Rebuilt my steering box, drag link and bellcrank. Reusing the tie rod ends for now. Three of them were replaced in the last 5 years.

I also replaced all items to actually have a horn, also exciting. Except I need to find the actual horn still.

Clutch/brake peddle assembly is in.  When I added the master cylinder upgrade bracket years ago I quickly installed it and (Regrettably) cut off part of the engine/transmission that was in the way. ( gives me a reason to upgrade to a later bellhousing).  I removed the 90 degree adapter and used a straight one. Brake lines clear by about a 1/4 inch the mounting ear now. I now need to find a replacement master cylinder that  will match the one supplied with the K-W's kit I used.

I spent some time straightening all the fins on the radiator, cleaning the dirt/rust from the radiator and shroud and painted them with a high heat flat black. No doubt in the process I probably opened up areas that will let me know when I fill it with water.  If/when that happens I will replace with a aluminum one.

I think that is up to date. I have a list of items I will purchase Friday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2022 at 9:19pm
Good progress Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 51>