Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 48’ Cj2A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildWilly48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 48’ Cj2A
    Posted: 23 June 2018 at 2:04pm
I’m not sure how much info is out there for my Jeep but I’m trying to find out as much as I can and hopefully someone can help me. Below are all the numbers that I located which are associated with my Jeep. Can anyone tell me how to find out as much info as possible about the Jeep using the numbers? Specifically if the frame and engine are what originally came with the body and date/location of manufacturing. Also if there are any other numbers that I haven’t found on the Jeep too? Thank you. 

Tub Serial # 14950

Body/Frame Serial # 151072

Engine Serial # J163541A

Engine Block Casting # 11-7   641087-L-W5   AN1-GR-N2

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 2:34am
I can tell you it was made in Toledo, Ohio.  Is there a number stamped in the front edge of the driver's side toeboard?  How about the passenger side edge of the tailgate?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
WildWilly48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildWilly48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 12:27pm
I will take a look and get back to you. Thanks a lot. 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 6:41pm
  Is there a tag riveted to the frame, just behind the bumper on the driver's side? Does the number on it match the serial # tag on the firewall? I'm assuming so, as you said "Body/Frame Serial#..."
  Is the Tub Serial # given on a smaller tag (says "BODY" on it) on the firewall just below the main Serial # tag? Or is it the ACM number that Ol' Un asked about, on the toe-board gusset and/or the tailgate?
  It looks to me that you have a '48 from fairly early in the year. The engine might be the original, and the block may have been cast in November of '47.
  There were some changes made in mid-year 1948 in the way the bodies/frames were numbered/tagged, and it can get confusing. If before the changes, I think the frame tag #, body tag #, and firewall tag serial # should all be the same. The ACM # will be about 10,000 less, and the engine may be about 10,000 more. If after the changes, there may be no frame tag or ACM #, and the body tag # may not match the Serial #. With or without an ACM #, the tailgate may have a number stamped into the right side edge of the gate that will match, or be close to, the ACM #, body tag #, or Serial #. I think there may be another digit on the end of your tub # that you didn't see.

This is all theory, but I think I'm getting it figured out. I have several '47s and '48s, and have some others listed, and am trying to get this change sorted out. Your info may help us both. Thanks.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
WildWilly48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildWilly48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 7:23pm
the tag on the frame are the same and the firewall tag says body. Haven’t looked for one on the toe board and the tailgate one is painted over and I’m pretty sure there wasn’t another tub number, 14950 is what I’ve got. Here’s a couple pics. 

Post Reply Post Reply