Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Arkansas Barn find

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zedanny1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Arkansas Barn find
    Posted: 08 May 2012 at 3:05pm
In Feburary this year I found this in a barn about five miles from the house in Arkansas.

Edited by Zedanny1 - 15 May 2012 at 3:48pm
Zedanny
Zedanny1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zedanny1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 3:24pm
Well I bought it for $1500.00 it inclueded a small milatery trailed and 4 new tires. In March I got the engine started after installing a new fuel pump and it had a bad knock so I pulled the engine out and found a bad crankshaft so I got on the net and started looking for one. The price sceared me so I deside to look for a used one or a used motor.
I did find a used motor for $150.00  about 40 miles form the house so off to Little Rock Ar. to pick it up When I got there the guy said he would sell me just the crankshaft for $25.00 we pulled the crank out and the bearing were standard and looked like new. ( Great find ) So wthe the motor out I desided to clen and paint the jeep my self. This has been a big job so far but I have got it running and painted being not a body man it's a good 20 foot paint job. (smile ) I'm waiting on UPS as of today so I can install the hood and windshield and seats.
Zedanny
Zedanny1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zedanny1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 3:29pm
Oh yeal this started life as an Air Force jeep in Alaska how it ever got to Arkansas I'm not sure of yet. The guy I got it from said the milage was org.17,000 but you know how that goes.
Zedanny
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 4:25pm
I showed up to buy that engine after the crank was sold to you the previous day.....you got a deal! And I am glad it went to a good home.
What color are you going with? And how did the repair on the engine turn out? More pics, please!Big smile
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 4:52pm

Looks very nice! If i wanted a good body im gonna have to look south. Every 2a or 3a ive found is pretty run down but im not afraid to dent them. Seems like all the nice-very nice bodied ones come from the south.
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 5:14pm
  CONGRATS !!  ClapClap

YOU GOT A M38 ..LOVE TO SEE MORE CLOSE UP PICTURES OF IT......
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
Zedanny1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zedanny1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 9:58pm
The engine was just overhauled before he parked it but the messed the crank up.so all I had to do was install it with new bearings careing about 50 lb's of oil presure. I painted it John deere Blitz black so if I scratch it up there is alway a JD dealer around . It's a good 20 foot paint job I'm net a very good body man.
Zedanny
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Zedanny1 Zedanny1 wrote:

It's a good 20 foot paint job I'm net a very good body man.

Wink I like an honest man.

What a steal, Congrats!!
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
shakyshot View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 2:03am
Originally posted by hillbilly21 hillbilly21 wrote:

CONGRATS !!  ClapClap

Just curious what I'm missing on the M38 call.  I guess I don't know enough to see the tell-tale signs.

By the way Zedanny1 is that a silver paint job on the enigine?  I kind of like it.
1947 CJ-2A #103586 "Les"
1947 Bantam T3C Hiawatha "Moore"

Hayes Family CJ-2A
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club
Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 2:04am
Originally posted by shakyshot shakyshot wrote:

CONGRATS !!  ClapClap

Just curious what I'm missing on the M38 call.  I guess I don't know enough to see the tell-tale signs.

By the way Zedanny1 is that a silver paint job on the enigine?  I kind of like it.

The Tell-Tale sign is the battery box on the cowl. Wink
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 2:07am
If anybody would know HillBilly would! Mister M38. I would like to hear the response on this. Good looking photos, and any Jeep find is a good one in my book! Love those confy looking seats! Best of luck in your build. Cant wait to see more. Thank you for your picture post and Welcome Again!!Thumbs Up
shakyshot View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 2:08am
Originally posted by Dez Dez wrote:

Originally posted by shakyshot shakyshot wrote:

CONGRATS !!  ClapClap

The Tell-Tale sign is the battery box on the cowl. Wink

Embarrassed  Thanks.  I'll get there with tha learnin'.

Edited by shakyshot - 09 May 2012 at 2:10am
1947 CJ-2A #103586 "Les"
1947 Bantam T3C Hiawatha "Moore"

Hayes Family CJ-2A
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club
BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 2:43am
You said it was a USAF m38.  did you find hood numbers on it?

Here is the reason I ask (This m38 belongs to me)
1952 m38
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 2:54am
M38 body hints:
Battery box on the cowl
Tool indents on the passenger side
removable panel for instruments
small form-factor glove box in dash
round holes in back for taillites
round holes in floor for drains
big removable transmission hump with another removable shifter hump on it
removable panel at passenger feet (for arctic powerplant heater)
emergency brake handle to the left of the steering wheel
Big fuel filler hole as compared to CJ filler hole
In the 70's repro bodies had some of these features but not all.  They sort of combined CJ and military features into one body tub.  Look to see if the tool box under the seat says 'Jeep'.

M38 windhield hint
looks like CJ3A but center ventilator panel is screwed in place on the M38.  Its hinged on the CJ.

M38 frame hint
front frame horns are boxed and have threaded holes on the inside for mounting a winch.
No license plate slots in bumper or rear cross member

M38 engine hint
head has a water passage on the front edge
water pump has a small water passage facing up
serial starts with MC or RMC

You  have an M38 air filter and CJ hood.

Great jeep!

Tom

Zedanny1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zedanny1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 3:55pm
The engine paint was gonna ge gray but my lady bought the wrong color so I sprayed it silver.
Zedanny
Zedanny1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zedanny1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 3:59pm
Didn't look for hood number but the guy I got it from had the full history on the jeep and missed placed it.
Zedanny
Zedanny1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zedanny1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 4:08pm
It has most everything you said I do thank the hood has neen replaced Yes the tool box says jeep and has a clove box on the right side also the tranny cover has a cover over the trans. and a smaller one coving the gear shift. Someone has removed the emerg. brake but I seen where it wuse to be. The gas tank was replaced with an alum one at some time.
Zedanny
Roberto Flores View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Flores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 9:55am
Congrats for your acquisition, sir! I hope you will consider this as an inspiring idea...  Wink

http://www.ewillys.com/2012/05/13/dons-1950-m-38-m-35/

Cheers,
Roberto Flores
Made to order cartoons, comics...!
http://www.robertoflores.com
http://www.cafepress.com/robertoflorescartoonist
http://www.cafepress.com/theoutliner
http://www.zazzle.com/flores67

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>