Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Bantam T3-C #4806

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Bantam T3-C #4806
    Posted: 12 June 2013 at 2:47am
I had been on the lookout for an M416 or M100 for awhile. I have scoured Craigslist and on-line forums for weeks. 2 days ago as I was driving by my neighbors house, I happened to look left and I see the back of a trailer by a tree.

I thought " Hmm that looks kinda small." upon further inspection I found this

Cisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2013 at 2:48am
Cisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2013 at 3:05am
I am pretty excited about it!  Now I'll be honest I am not a restore guy.  I am a rock crawler/ Expedition guy. Please don't hate me! Wink

This trailer is going to be for pulling behind my TJ when we go Camping.  I hope to one day take a cross country journey across the US and pull this trailer the whole way.

I promptly stripped the trailer to its many parts to inspect its condition.  what I found was the trailer is in remarkably great shape for its age.  It has minimal rust!!!  I was amazed!

I credit the lack of rust to the incredibly thick layers of industrial paint on it.  I imagine it was owned at one time by a county or city.  It appears that once a year it was pulled out and sprayed/hosed down with paint.  Everything is covered.

here are a few pics after I flipped the trailer, wire wheeled, and sand blasted the underside.

Edited by Cisco - 12 June 2013 at 3:15am
Cisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2013 at 3:17am
As you can tell I am using POR 15 to preserve the undercarriage and the whole trailer.

more pics

Cisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2013 at 3:19am
Well I may have gotten some pics out of order but you get the idea.  I am further along but that's all I have for tonight.

Since I am not interested in restoring my trailer I have already sold the combat rims to a collector.  and I have this light for sale here on this site now.  I hope someone can use it.

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2013 at 1:59pm
Cisco,
Welcome!  Nice trailer! 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2013 at 3:37pm
Cisco,

Very nice early find?

Wish I would have known about the Combats before you sold themCry

What hitch coupler and safety chains (post a picture of the hitch area) do you have and if original do you wish to part with those?

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Cisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2013 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

Cisco,

Very nice early find?

Wish I would have known about the Combats before you sold themCry

What hitch coupler and safety chains (post a picture of the hitch area) do you have and if original do you wish to part with those?

Sorry it did not come with the safety chains. It has the tapered brackets the chains connected to but everything but the first link is gone.

As far as the hitch/coupler it was not with the trailer either.

When I sold the rims I hadn't found this forum yet. I sold the rims for $125 for the pair. They had some rust issues around the valve stem. I sold them over on g503.com

I only payed $250 for the trailer to begin with. I feel like I got my money's worth!

Edit- would love to have the pics of my trailer added to your data base. In your post you said " very nice early find?" With a question mark. The question mark kinda threw me. Did you see where I posted my s/n #4806?

Edited by Cisco - 12 June 2013 at 10:50pm
Cisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2013 at 11:22pm
as I said in a earlier post I basically dismantled the trailer down to its bolts.  If it could be taken apart, I took it apart.

I had zero stuck bolts on the trailer and i had only one that was rusted to the point of non-use.  That being said, since restoration
wasn't my goal, i went ahead an replaced most of the hardware with new grade 5 and grade 8.  I didn't want to get in the
 back country and have a spring hanger break off.

I also went ahead and replaced the u-bolts.  They were pitted pretty bad and I sure didn't want one of those to break.

These pics show the trailers current state, the hitch coupler and lack of safety chains as requested.

Edited by Cisco - 12 June 2013 at 11:24pm
Cisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2013 at 11:44pm
Today's progress:  New to me tires mounted (32x11.50), Trailer righted, hitch finished, inner bed and inside walls wire brushed ( by my lovely wife!) and the bed POR-15'd.

Pics:

this one shows half of the bed/interior wire wheeled.  quite a difference

This one shows my beautiful helper!  Man, I am so lucky!

POR-15 first coat

And the Money shot!  Hooked up behind the TJ.

Cisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2013 at 12:09am
And the most important pic.  The little dog is Butter Pete, the bigger dog is Emmy.  The young 'un is my son.  They approve and are excited for camping adventure!

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2013 at 2:32pm
Very good work and progress!

I've been busy this week but now have you added into the database and a picture page. What was the original color since you took it down so far (green?)? I need a city and your name to add to the database page too.

The "?" was a typo or what I call a fat finger when the fingers are moving faster than the brain is in my case.

I'd say the helpers approve for sure!

Love the Crawler Hauler in the background too. Need a way to get the Bantam on and off the top deck.

Edited by 48cj2a - 15 June 2013 at 4:56pm
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Cisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 2:00am
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

Very good work and progress!
<span id="pb-core-loaded"></span> 
I've been busy this week but now have you added into the database and a picture page. What was the original color since you took it down so far (green?)? I need a city and your name to add to the database page too.

The "?" was a typo or what I call a fat finger when the fingers are moving faster than the brain is in my case.

I'd say the helpers approve for sure!

Love the Crawler Hauler in the background too. Need a way to get the Bantam on and off the top deck.

The original color was green. It had split combat rims.

The crawler hauler is a Palimino colt pop up camper with the undercarriage removed. I turned the pop up sideways and welded it to the deck of the gooseneck. My TJ will fit right in behind it.

It hauls GREAT! I towed it about 3,000 miles round trip 2 summers ago on a wheeling/camping trip to Beuna Vista, Colorado. Trailer weights just over 9k loaded for camping and with myTJ on it.

AND I pull it with a 2010 HALF TON Ford four door 4x4!

I'll PM you my name and location! Thans for adding me to your page!
Cisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 9:28pm
More progress.  First pic is the bed in primer

These next few are it painted silver.  Now I need to know your honest opinion.

Is the silver too bright?  I am undecided.  I am going to paint the outside silver too.

The hitch, fenders and rims will be gloss black.

That should break up the silver enough to make it look good but.....?

Opinions on color?

Post Reply Post Reply