Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Barn Find - '48 Mostly Original

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Barn Find - '48 Mostly Original
    Posted: 17 July 2021 at 12:09am
Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.  After four years of luke warm search efforts, my barn find found me.  Why does this always seem to happen when you have about given up.  If I had to guess it really felt like Devine intervention and it is a very interesting story to be told later.  Considering the amount of original parts and the lack of rust on this CJ I know that I am one of the extremely lucky ones and I feel it is almost a duty to bring this Jeep back to its original condition.  Found in the farming town of Safford, Arizona a farming/mining community in the US southwest she has worked the farm for most of her life.

timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 1:17am
Congrats and welcome to the forum from another Tim. Looks like a great start.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 9:15am
Very nice. Congrats
Mike in AZ
TimmyT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2021 at 3:33pm
We are making progress!  Just a little mock up today to prove to myself that all those little actions are leading to a bigger outcome.

BEFORE - April 2021

AFTER - Nov 2021

TimmyT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2021 at 4:11pm
More pics from transmission restoration.

Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2021 at 5:22pm
Looking nice! Piece by piece you're getting there!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
TimmyT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 10:34am
Still at it nine months later.  I have new floor panels, hat channels, steps ready to get welded on the tub.  Will be removing the tub shortly.  Grill, fenders, and hood are all being restored concurrently.  Lots of small parts have been removed and restored as well.  Hope to fire up the engine on the one year anniversary!

Max View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2022 at 4:41pm
Very nice Tim, looks as if you will go with OD green 
Max
CJ2A 110861
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2022 at 5:02pm
Tim, you found a beauty! The Southwest is the place to score old vehicles. I guess even original flatfenders in dry, hot Arizona still need their floors replaced! Keep up the great work.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
TimmyT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2022 at 12:12am
Yes Sir!  After 70+ years I guess it would be a reach to expect my floor pans to be intact, lol.

Here are a few of the items I have purchased to address the rusted areas.  Lucky to have world class welders at my work who are happy to help me bring this beauty back to 10-20 standards.  I guess everyone has a place in their heart for an old flat-fender Jeep, I think it is in the DNA of the country.  I have not come across a person yet that does not show a genuine interest in this project.

Floor Pans

Cowl Supports

Hat Channels

TimmyT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2022 at 12:28am
Yes Max,  I'm walking a fine line.  I want to create a tribute Jeep without making any irreversible changes to her CJ-2A bones.  So if some day in the future someone wants to return to the beautiful Luzon Red that this Jeep wore when it came out of the factory they will not have major hurdles to overcome.  I'm keeping the engine black as a nod to this resto philosophy.  CJ items that come off the Jeep such as the draw bar, bush guard, etc will be protected and stored for the future owner.  I don't plan on removing any of the body bow brackets either.
TimmyT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2022 at 12:47am
What my left front axle looks like.

So Bubba mauled the axle nuts, no shock there.  I have the right socket tool and new replacements are on the way.  My top Kingpin had no shims, so incorrect preloading on kingpin bearings (this is an early CJ-2A knuckle).  Because of that it was not shock to find the top bearing/race brinelling along with the bottom.  Both sets will be replaced.  The axle is a Spicer, my right front is a Rzeppa, LOL.  That's okay you can mix and match.  I'll set the steering stop screw to the lower angle of the two.  Axel bearings look reusable.  Brakes were on backwards, pretty common error.  Long pad was trailing, but shockingly are virtually brand new with almost untouched pads.  That tie rod decided it liked the knuckle so much that it did not want to part.  Nothing my hydraulic press will not be able to rectify.  All tie rod ends are being replaced.  

I've already started the resto of the right axel a few weeks ago so I got the left side apart in quick order.  The longer I study this stuff and get hands on the easier it becomes.  I am learning!

TimmyT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2022 at 2:38pm
Dualmatic locking hubs restored to like new.  Thanks to Tim for supporting the community with his refurb parts offerings.

I had one needle bearing that was completely seized.  The O-rings on the cams were shot.  Missing gaskets, wrong star washers on the bolts.  The small springs were rusted and broken.  Very fortunate that the bolts had not been over torqued and the housings had no cracks.

ace32107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ace32107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2022 at 9:13pm
Where did you get that ignition switch?

It is really cool.
TimmyT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2022 at 11:05pm
Ron Fitz Jeep.  It is for an MB.  
TimmyT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2024 at 11:20pm
My propeller shafts are not obviously original CJ-2A.  They are very beefy Spicers, I believe they come from the M38 series.  Any who, I am not going to downgrade to the originals just to be a purist so I decided to restore these and save a boat load of cash for other replacement parts.

Edited by TimmyT - 27 Jan. 2024 at 11:22pm
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2024 at 9:12am
That is indeed an M38 yoke with the screw-on retainer.  Nice work on the jeep.
TimmyT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2024 at 11:16pm
Knee deep into the transfer case at this time.  A few more surprises were waiting for me but the days of removing dirt and grime are coming to an end.  Almost every part has been removed and disassembled at this point.  An important lesson learned from my first restoration experience: best to completely disassemble everything right from the get go.

A few before and after photos of the e-brake restoration.  My 49 has the safety bolts and will be safety wired when I do final assembly.  80% of the transfer case will be retained, speedo gear was MIA found a NOS replacement, replacing all bearings, a gear or two, springs, thrust washers, some bolts, the interlock "pill" was missing, all gaskets, all oil seals.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>