Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My belated birthday present to myself

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My belated birthday present to myself
    Posted: 10 Jan. 2013 at 9:32pm
Tomorrow, my dad and I are flying out to John's (duffer) to get my belated Birthday present. It is a 1918 IHC Titan 10-20. 10HP at the drawbar, 20HP at the belt pulley. We're going to make a side trip and go snowmobiling in Yellowstone.

From the pictures John sent me, it looks to have a lot of original paint. I can see some original red and pin striping on the rear wheels. It still even has all 4 hub caps that always fall off! I sent the pictures to a friend that has two, and he said that this one looks to be used mostly for belt work and very little to no plowing of fields. He also said it is one of the best ones he has seen. I'm real excited to pick it up and meet John!

On the front of the water tank, you can make out the old IHC logo decal. Looks like the picture at the end.

Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2013 at 11:22pm
Nate,
Forgive me for being ignorant, But is That a TRACTOR THAT YOU GOT??????
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2013 at 11:29pm
Way too cool!!! Hoiw are y'all going to haul it home?
Gary

51 CJ-3A
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2013 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Haines Garage Haines Garage wrote:

Nate,
Forgive me for being ignorant, But is That a TRACTOR THAT YOU GOT??????

Well, yes, but the correct name for it is a gas traction engine. The difference between a tractor and a gas traction engine is, this is pretty much a stationary engine plopped on a cart that moves itself. Tractors use conventional engines. Wink The is a higher cool factor with these.  LOL

We are renting a Uhaul truck and going to shove back there and drive home. It weighs around 3 ton and is pretty small compared to others of its league.
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2013 at 11:45pm
Here's the stationary unit it is based on. The 30-60 is a much bigger tractor. The 10-20s have a nice size that are easy to haul to shows.

Nate
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2013 at 11:59pm
Nice birthday present . .   looks like it could be fun to fix up!

What is the big tank on the upper front?   I am guessing that is the coolant reservoir/radiator.  Must not be under any pressure because it appears to simply have a trap door on the top.

Very cool!

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2013 at 12:08am
It is a water tank. The engine is tank cooled like the Famous in my avatar. The hot water rises and the cool water sinks. No water pump on these. The fuel tank is the vertical tank below the water tank.

This engine also has water injection. You use that for when it is working hard and it starts knocking. That helps cool it down.
Nate
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2013 at 12:28am
Said it before, many times, and I will say it again....You are Really something my friend! Enjoy the time with your Dad. Sounds like you will be having ALOT of fun...Here's another one..Haines Garage 5xThumbs Up.
And you give one to your Dad, and a HugToo.
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2013 at 12:48am
GG, is the Titan throttle governed or hit and miss?
Gary

51 CJ-3A

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2013 at 1:04am
Thanks Scott. And we don't hug, we Just punch each other in the arm.  Wacko

It is throttle governed. In the left side of the second picture, you can see the governor and the the shaft coming out. The governor weights are in a housing. Then there is also an angled hand crank which controls the speed.
Nate
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2013 at 1:28am
I believe the no waterpump models were called "Thermo-Siphon"

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2013 at 1:38am
Exactly. My Famous is the same way. Also it is one less thing to break down/leak. Makes piping much simpler too.
Nate
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2013 at 6:49am
Very cool. Nice dude
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2013 at 12:22pm
Love those old Titans. Yours looks to be in remarkable condition. I use to play with a 45hp Titan in southern IL many many years ago.... good times!
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2013 at 2:24pm
Nate,
Do you know what type of "belt work" it was used for?
What route are you going to take home? I-80? It would be nice if I could buy you guys lunch or dinner or something on your way through. Post your route up on here, I'm sure I'm not the only one!
Knowing our group of guys here, you could prob. have meals waiting for you and Pa clear across the Country! I just thought I'd offer, I'm sure I won't be the only one to put it out there!
Maybe if we knew where and approx. when you were going through, people could all meet at a central location along the Interstate. I know you're not looking to make the return trip into an epic journey that lasts a month but it would be fun for some of us guys to meet up, if your time permits!
Thumbs Up
Kilroy 

Edited by kilroy - 11 Jan. 2013 at 3:09pm
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2013 at 4:16pm
i too would like to meet. i am with a half mile of  I80 here in IA.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2013 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by dennisanvil dennisanvil wrote:

i too would like to meet. i am with a half mile of  I80 here in IA.
dennis

Dennis,
I knew you'd be in on this! Wink I'm about the same distance to I-80, just 60 miles West. LOL
It would be fun! Big smile
I-80 Truck Stop at Attalisa? "Largest Truck Stop In The World"! Clap 
Depends on who's coming and from where. We have the largest Brewery in Iowa just open over here, great beer and wood fired pizza (really good!)!
Sandusky, too? Maybe some others? Smile
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

BigBroz2A_RIP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBroz2A_RIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2013 at 5:05pm
Not sure if I could make it to Iowa for a meeting but you are welcome to stop in Chicago if not.
Dave
< style=":;:1000" ="application/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" height="0" width="0">< value="ff-tab-0" name="tabId">< value="165" name="counter">
Dave S/N 33484
Nashville retired
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>