Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Brakes Seized up on the Trail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 5:19am
I'd say "Trust but verify!"  Check the MC to be sure.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 12:17pm
The problem almost surely has to be in the master cylinder/check valve.  It is the only thing that could be holding that pressure in the lines.  Hydraulic brakes are a very simple system.  Brake lines and wheel cylinders just carry and receive the pressure.  The MC/check valve is the only thing even slightly complicated.  Even if the brake fluid is being overheated and expanding, the MC should be allowing that pressure to vent. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Baker6x6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baker6x6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 2:40pm
n most cases- a MC that does both disc and drum brakes- the LARGER of the 2 reservoirs is for the Disc Brake.
Could you have the lines reversed? with the disc side going to the drums and vice-versa?
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 6:09pm
Baker6X6 you're right. Special thanks to Bridog & MooCow for being the first ones to point it out to me. When I changed the out proportioning valve for a different one. I ran new brake lines & got them crossed.
Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 3:47am
Has anyone here used the disc brake conversion front and rear as well as the Duel Disc Master Cylinder from Kaiser Willys. And if so do they or do they not clear stock 16” KH wheels and do you like them. Thinking of getting them. 
Family Motto "If its not broken lets take it apart and lose some of the pieces and then it will be"
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 11:38pm
Scott, I didn’t use the one from Kaiser Willys, but it does look a lot like the one I used from The Jeep Guy.  Here’s the link to what I installed (the full kit, which I installed on the front and rear axles):  http://www.the-jeep-guy.com/brakes.htm
This kit doesn’t include the master cylinder.  It uses large GM calipers and a custom mounting bracket that looks just like the one Kaiser Willys is selling.

I can assure you that these will not work with original 16” KH wheels without a spacer.  I had to get a 1” spacer to make it work.

You might look into the Geo Tracker disc brake conversion discussed here (and maybe in another post or two)

It is my understanding that the Geo conversion will allow the use of original wheels without a spacer.  I’m probably going to go this route on my build for the 3A.  

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 3:30pm
Ok thanks for the links and info!👍
Family Motto "If its not broken lets take it apart and lose some of the pieces and then it will be"
Granny low View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Granny low Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 4:50am
Good evening 47heater , my name is David (Granny low) on the page. I'm having the same problem with my brake set up on my 48. Disk front, 11" drum rear dual MC . I have tried Everthing and they keep getting seized up. I see you had that same problem and was wandering what you fined out or how to did you fix this problem. Thanks 
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 5:07pm
Baker6X6, Bridog & MooCow pointed out my problem see Baker6X6 May 22 post.PM sent
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12