Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Build - 48 Lefty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2017 at 3:16am
Right on.  But it looks like they are dealing with a little fender bender there. 
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2017 at 1:34pm
Here is a pic of the windshield frame (and Leo, the shop predator).  Some of the many holes are randomly placed.

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2017 at 5:53pm
Somewhere, I have a piece of paper that has the measurements from one end of all of the factory holes. If you want that, I can look for it, or maybe go measure my frame, which might be quicker or easier. Wink

BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2017 at 6:11pm
I appreciate the offer.  That would be nice to have.  I'm sure I'm a long way from a top just yet.  But would be a good reference to have.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2017 at 6:22pm
Leo is one cool cat!

Used to have a couple shop cats when I built my 2A years ago. Haven't had one in 5 years.Cry 
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2017 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Leo is one cool cat!

Kind of a funny story.  I am NOT a cat person.  Never liked them.  Grew up with dogs and still have dogs to this day.  Oldest daughter wanted a cat when she was young.  I said no for a long time.  Finally caved and got one.  Let's just say it didn't end well.  Vowed to never have a cat again.  Fast forward to the new property and workshop.  Had an issue with red squirrels, chipmunks, etc and finding walnut shells everywhere in everything.

Decided we'd need a shop cat.  I will still not have a cat in my house again.  Anyway, I told my wife I wanted to get a cat for the shop, but it has to be a nice cat.  Our youngest daughter is 13.  I won't have a mean cat.  She said, "We need to get a tabby."  I told her that I don't know what a tabby is, but I said I wanted a cat for the shop.  My little girl would surely be out there loving on the cat and I didn't want it being mean, or it would be pushing daisies.

Well, someone drops off a young cat, a Tabby at my sister-in-law's house.  We end up with it and it's crazy how lovable this cat is.  Took it to get it fixed and the vet says, "They get more affectionate after they get fixed."  I asked if that was possible.  Anyway, this cat is cool.  He gets in the way a lot just looking for attention.  He's done his job at clearing pests from the shop and he behaves.  So he'll stick around, even if he does give my boxer boxing lessons now and then.  LOL
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2017 at 4:41am
Pete, the body on your 48 looks to be in great shape for a jeep from MI! My 47 from GA was just plain toast, sitting under the pine trees for years just seemed to eat the metal up.  Looking forward to following your build.

Mark
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2017 at 4:57am
Thanks Mark, I feel lucky to have it.  The gentleman I bought it from was an older man that said he had the Willys for 29 years.  He used it on his property up north.  So I'm guessing that it didn't see the salty Michigan roads for many years.  And fortunately, the years prior to that had been pretty good to it as well.

There is some rust underneath that will need attention at some point, but nothing critical yet.  Pretty good condition for being almost 70 years old.  

If you're going to follow my build, I hope you are in the mood for a long,  slow  story.   Not a short thriller. LOL

Edited by Freedom21 - 07 Dec. 2017 at 7:24pm
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 3:24pm
So, I am way behind my intended schedule due to life getting in the way.  My motor was machined and is still sitting on an engine stand waiting to be assembled and re-installed.  Tranny, tranfer case, pto all on a skid.  The visible body is pretty solid.  A couple small rust spots where the bow mount and spare tire mount were that I plan to repair.  However, the tub has some issues underneath.  Under the gas tank and the hat channel have significant rust.  I honestly don't know just how bad the belly is completely.

I was only able to drive it for a short time after buying before realizing the motor needed a rebuild.  I haven't driven my 48 in a couple years.  One part of me wants to get it running and enjoy it.  Another part of me is leaning toward pulling the tub and going for it.  (I partially blame Mellenium Falcon and others on this forum for inspiring me. LOL)  

I've never done this before, but I am confident that I can do it to the level I would be happy with.  Not looking to make it a show Jeep.  Just remove/repair the rust and make it a solid, decent looking trail runner and ice cream chaser that will be passed along to my daughter, someday to hopefully go to her children should she have them.  However, best case is another year.  Realistically, probably much longer.

Opinions?
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 4:49pm
I say go for it, if you dont you will wish you had. Also, I grew up there in cedar, live over in gowen with my wife now. My brother and folks are still in cedar though. If you ever need anything feel free to reach out.
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by BryanB BryanB wrote:

If you ever need anything feel free to reach out.

I appreciate that.  Would be cool to get the local "Willys" guys together sometime.  Local meet and greet.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 9:47pm
Hey Pete, You asked for opinions.........Like you I plan on leaving "the jeep" to my son and grandson in a few more years(living in MO. at present) So a complete rebuild is in future plans Original tube is long gone so probably go with repop tub (wa ma gonna do?) Also have a std. bore block begging for rebuild. In the mean time I'm planning on getting the mechanicals in order to be road worthy. Sort of "staging for frame off rebuild, but be able to drive this spring and summer. My thinking is you don't have to deal with rusted broken hardware and parts. with air tools and nec. pullers. Could probably get it down to the frame in a weekend. Jpet and others had the right idea I think going with 2 jeeps so you had something to drive while working on the other. Without knowing what your tub floor looks like, if I had a fresh motor I'd be leaning toward get it running and rolling first. Get prepared for body removal later. Count me in on the local yokel meet and greet, a lot of times easier said than done. I think we can all learn from each other Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2017 at 2:57am
Thanks Joe.  With having the '48, a JKU daily driver, and a TJ for offroad fun, I don't think my wife will let me buy anymore Jeeps, even another Willys.  LOL.  

I really am leaning toward taking the tub off.  That's about as far as it would go.  Not stripping down to frame on saw horses.  I'd go down to rolling frame I guess.  I also want to clean the years of thick build up off the axles and frame.  This would also make it easier to remove all the hack-job wiring since I'm going to 12v, adding turn signals and re-wiring the whole thing.  As much as I want to drive it, the more I think about it, the more I want to pull the tub and get it squared away while it's apart.

I'm looking forward to cutting the bad steel out and welding in the new.  I know it will be frustrating at times as well.  I tell my wife that I compare working on the Jeeps to bowling or golf.  They are all frustrating, but we keep going back to it because we still enjoy it.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2017 at 5:04am
Pete, I'm for tub off, repair it, clean up the frame and then drive and enjoy it ... you'll feel better knowing the body is squared away and the rusted crap is out of there and fixed. ... it's not going to slow you down that much and as others have mentioned, that tub comes off and goes back on pretty quickly. 

My to cents Wink
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2017 at 1:43pm
Looking good man! Keep up the good work! I love the blue!
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 1:42pm
Too many projects and other aspects of life have definitely hindered progress and has had me flip flopping on which way to go with this.  But I finally had some time and a buddy came over to help out.  We started putting the motor back together and found that my oil pump was broken.  I was able to get another one from my friends at the Jeep Armory.  We'll be getting back at it tonight and hopefully make some more progress.

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 2:00am
Well, things stalled again over the winter.  But I've been out in my shop a few times recently and I'm making some slow progress.  But at least it is progress.  We've managed to get the motor a little more assembled.  I look at it and it doesn't look like we got much done.  I'm realizing all the little things take up a lot of time.  Running a tap through all the bolt holes just to get grease or burs out.  Degreasing, cleaning parts that I then prime and paint.  I'm very glad I went through so many 1 gallon zip lock bags labeling them with the bracket or even just nuts and bolts that the belong to.  There's no way I would have remembered what goes to what.  Now I see why a full restoration takes others so long.  And I'm not even close to doing a full resto.  Anyway, here's a couple pics of what I've been doing.

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2019 at 1:38pm
I got a little more done last night.  Locating parts, cleaning, degreasing seems endless.  Figuring out a few more items that I need to replace.  Oil lines, hardware, etc.  This part isn't very exciting, but it's progress.  I do have a broken intake manifold, but my buddy at The Jeep Armory has one for me.  I just need to get the old one out and try to harvest the fittings.  Plugging along....

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>