Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My First Jeep: ‘46 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnkkohout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First Jeep: ‘46 CJ2A
    Posted: 18 Jan. 2020 at 10:25pm
So, I chose to start a new thread different from epret’s. Ironically, I lucked into a ‘46 right about the same time he did. However, I didn’t want to take away from his post and find (excellent find, by the way!), nor did I want to possibly cause confusion. At any rate, this is not only my first Willys, but my first Jeep as well. My Grandfather had a ‘42 MB that I remember riding around in as a kid and always wanted one. My wife found this one a couple weeks ago and talked me into getting it (didn’t take a whole lot of convincing). 
So it has had some internal work done to it (new wiring harness, rebuilt steering wheel column, new starter, new carb, new gauges). It used to be a hunting Jeep and they cut the body off behind the windshield and fabricated the rest of the body to hold a dog box. I know I’ll get around to replacing the body later, but want to make sure she’s got a solid drivetrain and a few other things before I dive into that mess. So here are my first concerns (unless anyone sees anything else I should do first):
1 - Temp gauge does not work (thought it is new within 2 yrs)
2 - We all smell like exhaust even after only driving it down the street
3 - There’s no oil filter and that concerns me (along with the white film in the filler neck).   

I will figure out how to post pics and throw some up for y’all. 
Thanks everyone!
cnkkohout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnkkohout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2020 at 10:33pm
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2020 at 2:28am
Welcome to the page, cnkkohout!  Plenty of Bubbas have done much worse work than that.  You can find a oil filter fairly easily.  The white film may just be from the engine not getting hot enough to eliminate the condensation.  Is the PCV valve hooked up and operational?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
cnkkohout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnkkohout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2020 at 2:41am
I honestly have no idea how to check if it’s operating or not. I am also assuming it’s hooked up...  My auto mechanic ability doesn’t extend much beyond an oil change and changing out fuel filters. I can tell I’ve got a lot of learning ahead of me, but I’m excited for it!
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2020 at 2:52am
Welcome   This will be a fun build thread to watch...Keep us updated with photos and take your time it appears you have a solid body and frame to start. Believe me, most all of your questions will be answered on this site and you'll enjoy seeing what other owners are doing on their rigs and compare. The "search" feature on this site is amazing!!! Good Luck...
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2020 at 4:09am
From the underhood pic, it looks like the PCV valve is there, but it's not connected the "proper, original" way.  That is to say, the valve cover to which the PCV line attaches is installed backwards.  That doesn't mean it won't work, just that we can't tell for sure if it's connected at all.  There are pics somewhere on the site that show how the PCV system is supposed to look.  "Advanced search" should find the info you want.
cnkkohout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnkkohout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2020 at 12:18pm
Excellent! Thanks, Ol’ Unreliable! I think I know what I might be working on today!
cnkkohout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnkkohout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2020 at 3:08pm
So the valve cover is definitely installed backwards, but the PCV line is connected. How do I check it’s operation? I don’t have a vacuum tester but I know it idles fine and starts very easily. I am fearful of pulling all that off to reinstall if it is operating correctly as-is. I am also curious as to why the flapper valve is tied to the manifold. 

Edited by cnkkohout - 19 Jan. 2020 at 3:12pm
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2020 at 3:43pm
I don't think the valve cover being backwards would be an issue as far as operation is concerned. All the pcv is doing is pulling fumes from the engine.

The heat riser damper is pulled up to the fully closed position, this may effect idling until the engine temp warms up. And could cause some hard engine starting when engine is hot, may have a tenacity to boil the fuel in the carb bowl. Rebuild kits are available, some do not come with the small part that links the damper arm to the shaft, not a good thing.

Part of my regular maintenance is to remove the pcv valve, open it up and clean it out. It can get pretty gummy in there. 
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2020 at 1:28am
Okay, I see that you must have an electric fuel pump there; the fuel line coming in to the carb from somewhere aft is a clue--as is the blocked-off mechanical fuel pump hole.  Smile  I hope you have a fuel filter upstream of your fuel pump.  That is probably accessed from under the Jeep; check that out and replace if necessary.

I don't see the spring that is supposed to open the heat riser valve, so your PO wired it open because of that.

The valve cover/PCV valve will work whether it's put on the "correct" way or the "incorrect" way; it's just normally done opposite the way yours is.  NBD (no big deal).

That ground strap attached to the cylinder head nut is weird, as is the throttle return spring being attached to the ground strap.  I'm sure it works, it's just not "normal".

As willyt said, you can remove the PCV valve, open it up, and clean it out.  Just pay attention to how it comes apart so you can reassemble it properly.  Run the Jeep at operating temp for 15-20 minutes and look inside the oil filler tube.  If it's not milky any more, the PCV system is working. 

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2020 at 2:02am
I don't typically disparage others' jeeps, but since you just bought this one gotta say its body modification is horrendous. The PO or whomever did the cutting and welding must have been trying to emulate a Dodge WC51. With those huge seats it looks like a clown car. Yes, we've all seen some ugly Willys mods but this one is truly bad --not including the OD paint and military stencils. Who was this dude trying to fool? Now get to work and bring it back to its Toledo form!  
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2020 at 2:16am
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

I don't typically disparage others' jeeps, but since you just bought this one gotta say its body modification is horrendous....Who was this dude trying to fool?

Yeah, I didn't want to go there either, but someone should have taken that PO out behind the woodshed...  LOL
cnkkohout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnkkohout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2020 at 2:00pm
Yeah, I agree that the body is horrendous. A body redo is pretty high on the project list, but that’s a pretty hefty price tag the I need to save up a bit for. 

I do have an electric fuel pump under the tank and a small modern in-line filter just prior to the carb. 

Thanks for the tips on the PCV valve. Glad to hear it will still function even though the valve cover is backward. I will pull it and give it a good clean out as you guys suggested. The run test should be a good indication. Which leads me to the next problem: the temp gauge doesn’t work. Is there a simple test I can do with that to see if it’s a gauge or sensor problem? I’ve seen in other posts where there were some weird things going on with gauges. 

Appreciate all the help and comments!
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2020 at 2:17pm
I'm thinking the temp gauge and sensor are a unitized part, one piece. And I could be wrong.  Give the gauge a slight 'wap' on the side, maybe the needle is stuck and that could free it.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2020 at 6:46pm
  willyt is right. There is no separate sensor or sender. The temp gauge is a one-piece deal, unless it's been replaced with something more "modern". 
  LOL Any time I see something on a gauge that is not normal, my first reaction is to tap on the glass with my finger.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
cnkkohout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnkkohout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2020 at 9:38pm
Okay, maybe I’ll get lucky and it’s just stuck. Sounds like a good opportunity to take the kids out for a little drive and rap on the gauge a bit. I know they’ve been replaced along with a speedometer that’s not hooked up, but the PO said he never really paid any attention to the temp gauge, so didn’t know it didn’t work. Fortunately, it looks like they’re under $30 online, so should be an easy replacement. 

Thanks!
cnkkohout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnkkohout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2020 at 12:36am
So the gauge is definitely not stuck. I removed the sensor and stuck it in a cup of water I boiled in the microwave and it registered perfectly. However, when I reinstalled it and took it for a drive...nothing. Any thoughts?

I also found a pretty big exhaust leak right where the pipe mounts to the exhaust manifold. I also found that the flange in the manifold is broken off and is the likely culprit (I’ll see if I can get a good pic). 

I also noticed that when it warms up that the oil pressure read almost zero at idle and barely even 20 when I give it gas. Is that normal?  What should it run at? When it is cold, it appears to have normal readings. I don’t have an oil filter, does that make a difference?
cnkkohout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnkkohout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2020 at 12:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>