Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My First Jeep Build Ever, Need Solid Guidance!?!?!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My First Jeep Build Ever, Need Solid Guidance!?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnCaveMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First Jeep Build Ever, Need Solid Guidance!?!?!
    Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 9:59pm
As title states, im needing serious input. so i went and recovered a 46 CJ2A #26352 from the woods at my uncles house. Jeeps been in the family since new and has barely over 5,000 original miles. Jeep is 100% original, unmolested and last drove in 1999. mechanically its in fair condition but the last 19 years in the woods at my uncles has played hell to the sheet metal. So first thing i need to do is have a key made for the ignition and a battery to attemp a start, but were im needing guidance is body, will i lose value to replace the tub with a reman tub or a used tub, or attemp fixing mine. my wants is to keep it original as possible, but dad has warned me that its not very streetable in original condition. so will it de value it to change to a 4 or 5 speed trans, will the L134 handle a different trans. im again, in my mind very partial to keeping it original. Now that said, Im the sole provider for a family of 4, and a over the road trucker, so please dont expect this done in 6 months hahahaha. so please, be honost, be helpfull, if your trolling take it elsewhere, im 40 years old and dont need that crap. so heres some pics....quick thing, my nickname is LJ last name doliber, born 1979, one of the license plates on the jeep from my great grandfather reads    LJD 079, just added a cosmic sign that i am supposed to do this..
thanks for reading.  SO SORRY I DIDNT REALIZE I WAS HOLDING MY PHONE UPSIDE DOWN IN PICS. such a geek lol

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 10:31pm
Welcome to the page, CapnCaveMan!  I think you could and should save the tub.  Worse ones have been saved by folks here.  Has the electrical system been converted to 12 volts or is that just a 12-volt battery under the hood?  I agree that the license plate is an indication that you and the Jeep are required to be together.  You don't need to do a full resto, just repair what needs repair and improve what might need improving and DRIVE IT!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Welcome to the page, CapnCaveMan!  I think you could and should save the tub.  Worse ones have been saved by folks here.  Has the electrical system been converted to 12 volts or is that just a 12-volt battery under the hood?  I agree that the license plate is an indication that you and the Jeep are required to be together.  You don't need to do a full resto, just repair what needs repair and improve what might need improving and DRIVE IT!  Thumbs Up

This man speaks wise words....

It's awesome to find/own one that original. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 10:47pm
Changing transmissions in it would be a lot of work. The easiest thing to do if you want to make it more streetable is to put an Overdrive unit in it. This will give you 12 forward speeds and 4 in reverse. A 25% OD will help reduce the engine RPM at a given speed. Depending on the condition of the engine 55mph is no problem with an OD.

The other things that will need to be addressed for modern roads is the Brakes and possibly the steering. If brought to rebuilt condition both will do. Changing to 11" brakes and doing a Saginaw steering swap would be better (this would effect your original condition.

I'll be kind of blunt here and this is MY OPINION. But Willys Jeeps are not an investment type vehicle.

The very best near perfect restoration all matching numbers (except they never did match) are barely worth 18,000.00  And 95% of restorations come well short of that. If you think you can throw a couple thousand at this and a few hundred hours and see a profit your going to be disappointed.

Willys Jeeps are a Hobby not an investment. You will garner your best return by deciding what you want to do with it and build it to that goal.

If you want a restoration to take to the local car shows and do parades and grab ice cream with the kids then build that. If you want to go 4 wheeling well there's a dozen different levels you can build to. If you like me want a vehicle that can do long distance traveling pulling a small LT wt trailer and hold up to offroad adventuring. Then your going to have to change a lot.

If you have the skills to patch up your Tub (welding, Grinding, Metal fabrication) and have the huge time investment it will take to restore a Tub (not to mention the money for the new parts etc) then it can be cheaper to go that route then to buy a new tub. If on the other hand your a family man that can spend 10 hours a week working on your new hobby then a New tub is a very cost effective way to repair damage.

I bought my Jeep from my dad for $2.00 I am doing way more to it then most everything is rebuilt most of it past original condition I have modified almost every part on this thing in the 7 years I have working on it. I will have close to 18,000.00 into it when I am done. But like I say I am not restoring it I am building a vehicle to get in and drive 1500 miles to where I want to be stay there a couple weeks and drive back.  Very few guys go this route. And my Jeep will never be sold so its valve doesn't matter.

And by the way yours in not all original the original speedo would have only gone to 60mph and no Willys made jeep had a 80 mph speedo. So your mileage is certainly not what showing on the clock.

Front Hubs and front bumper are not original and thats a very early head I think its a Military head so thats possibly not original (I don't know the serial number break for Willys using left over military engines in CJ's) which means its possible the engine is not original is there a serial number on the top of the block behind the water pump or is it on a pad on the front right corner of the block. Whats the metal tube running up over the top of the engine from left to right thats not original.

Hope this is helpful if not then my bad

Edited by Mark W. - 13 Jan. 2019 at 10:52pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
CapnCaveMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnCaveMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 11:25pm
much appreciated, very helpful, the whole keeping it original idea is solely because thats exactly how its been since 1946, and not so much on resale, because it will go to one of my daughters one day. my dad put a 12 volt battery, alternator and head lamp bulbs in it, but i still have the 6 volt generator, and yet another delema, 6 or 12 volt battery, i was a diesel mechanic for near 15 years before gaining my cdl and driving, so skills i have, i know the 12 volt requires minor mods, also heard 12 volt helps it start easier. all this advice is great, you guys are the best, keep ideas coming, has anyone ever seen this low of mileage cj2a? for being 70 some years old, id say its a low mileage vehicle lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnCaveMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 11:28pm
as for overdrive mods, is it internal trans mods or is it after the transfercase? will it still work with the colomn shift or would i convert it to floor shift?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnCaveMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 11:30pm
and it also has sears/roebuck lockout hubs, i like that for originality, but are they going to need to be replaced?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnCaveMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 11:34pm
and really just want a good looking jeep, classic old and classy, but usable, trailer to the trails, camp stove, tent,ole lady and trails, weekend getaways, like i said, i wanna wheel, but not rock crawlin kinda wheelin? make sense

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnCaveMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 11:42pm
thats the incomplete intake tubing going from carb to filter assembly, i never met my great grandfather but from what my dads told me, its never been modified as far as he can remember, title milage matches speedo so i couldnt tell you about that, and yes my dad had it titled, i know didnt exist in 1946, so engine wise ill have to get out my ether and wire brush and start finding numbers to see if they all match? thank you for letting me know, cause if its not original like i thought, then im not worried about keeping it original
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 12:01am
Originally posted by CapnCaveMan CapnCaveMan wrote:

thats the incomplete intake tubing going from carb to filter assembly, i never met my great grandfather but from what my dads told me, its never been modified as far as he can remember, title milage matches speedo so i couldnt tell you about that, and yes my dad had it titled, i know didnt exist in 1946, so engine wise ill have to get out my ether and wire brush and start finding numbers to see if they all match? thank you for letting me know, cause if its not original like i thought, then im not worried about keeping it original

No I am talking about the approx/ 3/8" D tube running straight across from the mainfold to something above the distributor. Not the air intake.

The engine even if Original will only be within a few hundred as early as that jeep is. They took engines off the line as they came to put into water pumps Generaltors and welders so the number on a Tub (which came from AGM who made the tubs up until mid 48) and the Frame (down between the left bumper mounting gussets) never matched.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 12:24am
The over drive fits in the PTO port between the transmission and transfer case which is why you end up with so many gears to choose from. You have the 3spd tranny the 2spd OD and the 2spd transfer case

So for instance in reverse 4 choices

Tranny reverse OD std and transfer High range 1
Tranny reverse OD std and transfer Low range  2 must be in 4wd unless transfer case is modified
Tranny reverse OD in OD and transfer case in High range 3
Tranny reverse OD in OD and transfer case in Low range 4 Must be in 4wd unless transfer case is modified

And the same combonations for each forward gear resulting in 12 forward choices.

To learn more about the Warn type OD go to Herm the Overdrive guy 

Sear started selling Jeep parts in I believe the mid 1950's certainly no earlier then 1950 The oldest Catalogs I have seen were 1958 They may have sold parts before that. Warn invented the locking hub in 1948 so by the time those got known and other manufactures figured out a way around his patent and then Sears would have come up with the Idea to market some made with their name there is no way the Sear Hubs are original they were put on sometime mid 50's on.

On Willys Jeeps its easiest to say almost nothing is original then to assume something not part of the actual structure of the jeep is.

My jeep has parts from over 27 different jeeps from 1946 to 1972 that I know about. And its only had three owners and my dad was one of them.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 12:27am
Oh looks like you also have a engine mounted coil originally it would have been mounted behind the hole in the dash with the three little holes around it and the ignition switch would have poked out the middle. SO where ever your ignition switch is also not original

I promise I am not trying to pick on you or your Jeep just letting you know what little I know that pertains to the photos I see.

We are a great group of guys that will try to come up with a solution to almost any problem your project can have.

I intend to pass CHUG to either my son or one of my grand daughters when the time comes.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 12:54am
A lot us know enough to be dangerous but we mean well so I hope we can help you.
A T 90 side shift and top shift use the same parts inside of them. It's the output spline and tooth count that will determine the overdrive usage. An OD is very useful depending on how you use the Jeep. If you just put it on a trailer VS actually driving it will sort of determine if an OD is worth it. My 3B with the V6, 5:38 gears, and the OD makes it driveable on the highway. Ask away...
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnCaveMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 1:01am
ohhhh, lol, yeah, high tek, super safe gas line to the Stewart Warner summer breeze heater, yeah, gasoline heat hahahaha

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnCaveMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 1:03am
and yes the coil is attached to the ignition switch, lil like this

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnCaveMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 1:06am
i am trying to change the spark plugs, theyve been in the jeep since 1968, so dad says, they are froze, any tricks to getting em out without breaking them off in the head?
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 1:11am
If you have the key for it you are ahead in the game.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnCaveMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 1:11am
is it possible to put roll bars inside the hard top?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>