Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first T3c

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepjop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first T3c
    Posted: 14 July 2009 at 9:52pm
Just wanted to introduce myself and my newest find, my first Bantam T3C. 
Art tracked me down when I posted my new trailer on another forum. He's really working hard to expand the t3c database and is a great asset to the hobby and filling in the missing information. I was already a member of this site but usually spend my time on G503 with my 2 mb's and 3 other military trailers. 
Anyways I plan to take my new T3c back to original and try to find a suitable year/serial Number as the plate is missing.
The first thing I have changed is when I got it it had 33in mud tires and a spring over. I threw on some 16s I had lying around.

I also have a military Bantam T3 so at some point expect a side by side comparison.  

Here's some basics I know so far:

Original color appears to have been Red with white logo

This is the stencil style on the rear cross member: (there is a bit of it still there)

original fulton hitch, 

three position leg

original tailgate chains and hooks

original safety chains late style chains and hooks (not like my military one hook is broken)(I might have some late hooks cast up for sale since appears they are not currently available)

I do have a seamed axle like my military trailer

driver side stop light only

sheet metal tailgate supports/ originally driver-side only light cut out

3 tie down hooks per side

NO- shock mount /  spring mount/  BO/ park handle holes

unoriginal wheels- (would they be combats?)

no reflectors or arrow tail light:( 

There are a ton of pictures Here: 
Art feel free to take any pics you need for the t3c page.

Edited by jeepjop - 14 July 2009 at 9:56pm
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 10:22pm
Welcome, nice trailer, good to see more civilians pop out of the woodworkLOL. I don't think you're would have had combat rims, the sheet metal tailgate supports indicate that. They might have had solids though, don't think enough is known for sure about that. Again, welcome.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 10:32pm
Gale have you seen any trailers with Solids?? I would think all the solids were long gone from Willys stocks by the time Bantam ran out of Combat rims.. I could be wrong,tho, it hasn't happenned in the last ten minutes and I think I'm due again. Big smile
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 11:29pm
Gale, actually my trailer with SN2524 had combats and spring hanger holes, with sheet metal supports.  The sheet supports were one of the first changes,  and no combat wheels and no holes in spring hangers came later.  What is interesting is the axle.  That is a piece of data we don't track in Art's database.  My trailer has no axle seam.  I am not sure at what point they went to a center seam. 
Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 11:41pm
Bill, if you look at mjohnsons new trailer, it has solids. Not sure how one would be sure if they're original or not.
Dave, I think we're a long way from figuring out what changes happened when. I have some ideas (right or wrong I don't knowLOL) The difficulty of assigning certain characteristics to particular time periods is the lack of documentation. It's easier with the welded on components (taillight panels, tie down hooks, BO switch hole. Gets more complicated with the bolt on stuff since they could have been easily changed sometime in it's life. Wheels would be one of the most likely of changed components, especially if the PO had a selection of jeep wheels lying around. I guess the real proof on these kind of details rest on period photos (as they surface) and original owners (they're getting scarcer as well). I find this all very interesting, not unlike when I first got involved with 2A's, there was a lot more head scratching going on a few years ago.LOL But that being said, we're no where near the level of the military stuff. (kinda hoping it never gets there, but whatever happens, happens) I've never noticed a seam in my axle, from memory I would say no, but it will be a while before it gets "exhumed" LOL
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2009 at 11:51pm
I agree.
Thanks
Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
jeepjop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepjop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2009 at 12:08am
I asked the previous owner if he had the original rims, if they were combats and he said no and wasn't sure what the original were. He bought the trailer at a farm auction many years ago. He told me there was only one guy bidding against him but stopped. He told me the guy approached him later and asked to purchase the spare which was hanging on the bottom plate. It was a combat. Obviously could and must have been added after the fact but the trailer did have some association with a combat rim at some time. 
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2009 at 12:45am
Just looked through your pictures, pretty nice shape, I noticed that the floor (except for the rust holes in the front) is nicer than a lot I've seen. So many of them must have been used to haul rocks because the floors get all bent up between the supports (like mineLOL) Looking at the details I'm thinking 47, most(if not all) of the little details are identical to mine (shape of the drawbar boxing plates, drawbar support casting, the attachment method of the drawbars to the tub, these were all different on earlier versions. Nice basis for a restoration, too bad there's no way to nail down a serial number. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Post Reply Post Reply