Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My First Willy’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevenBrode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First Willy’s
    Posted: 04 Jan. 2006 at 8:30pm

Hello all.  I love this site.  I have been visiting and reading for a while but never had anything to add until Christmas.  My love for Willy's started as a kid.  My dad worked 7 days a week at the family construction business.  He always took time to spend with us kids.  From March to November on Saturday he would show up at home witth the willy's and we would take off to the hills.  I can remember the wine of the transmission.  We even learned to drive at 5years old.  I mean we couldn't reach the pedals but what a ride at an idle.  Eventually the company sold the willy's and life went on but I always wanted a Willy's because of those memories.  I have been looking but my financial priorities have been with my family (a wife, 3 kids and a roof to cover them all).  On christmas day my mom and dad gave me a 48CJ2A willy's.  It was my uncle's fathers from Wyoming. 

It runs great, only had to clean the carberator.  Body is rough, no winshield, and frame has been repaired over the driver's side rear wheel.  It has what I believe to be a short as the battery looses charge over 24 hours.  My 7 year old loves to help and my 2 year old cries if I don't take him for a ride in the jeep.  I really appreciate this site and all of the help it has already provided.  Sorry so long winded but here are some pics....

oops.. my pics are over 200 kb.  I will revise images and try to re-send later.

Great site, great info, glad to be part of the Will'y family.

Steven

Reno
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2006 at 9:33pm

Steven, It's posts like yours that rekindle old memories of mine as well. Welcome to the Page. Seems like alot of people got "christmas presents" this year.

I taught all four of my kids to drive a clutch in a 2a, it has become a family thing. I hope your Jeep stays in your family. Get that pic. so we can all see your new toy.

Gary 

CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2006 at 7:30am
Welcome Steven ................     
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
jeepman252 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepman252 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2006 at 11:03am

What a great way for your folks to allow you to extend to your kids the same memories that you have of your childhood and the part the Jeep played in it.

Welcome aboard and lets see those pics.

Larry

47 CJ2A, "POPEYE", serial #129153, We're workin on it!!!
'04 WJ, blue, wifes DD
'98 ZJ, char gold, my DD
'97 ZJ, black, SOLD
'96 ZJ, char gold, RIP, met an 18 wheeler...
StevenBrode View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevenBrode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2006 at 1:59pm

Thanks Gary,Rit, and Jeepman..Sure is more fun to read when you have something to write about too.

I will have to retake my piuctures at a lower setting. Apparently I set something to the super-high quality setting as all of my photo's are 500kb +.

Will post pics soon.

Reno
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2006 at 3:37pm

113kb to 160kb should be ok, just about right.

If you have trouble send them to me and I'll resize & host.

Edited by Ritt - 05 Jan. 2006 at 3:41pm
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevenBrode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2006 at 12:06pm

Ok lets try some pics. This one after I cut the railroad rail bumper off.

Reno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevenBrode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2006 at 12:08pm

Two of three co-captains. 

Its a cold ride w/ out a winshield but you couldn't drag those 2 away

Reno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevenBrode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2006 at 12:10pm

In my dads garage

Reno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevenBrode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2006 at 12:11pm
Reno
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2006 at 12:16pm

Looks like a great start on a Jeep that has a family history. Your little munchkins are lucky 

Gary

Edited by GaryArf - 06 Jan. 2006 at 12:18pm
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2006 at 5:47pm

Hey Steven, great looking 48. My son and I are currently involved in a rebuild on  his 51 3a, sure wish it looked that good. Where are you located in Ohio, we're here in NE Kentucky. Good luck with it and keep haveing fun in it with the kids, mine are teenagers now and still love to ride in my 48( actually think they'd like to have it). Just curious though, how'd they get it under the tree ? LOL

Rob H.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevenBrode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2006 at 10:26pm

Thanks Rob.  It needs some body work, brake work, and I'm going to post on the tech page about an electrical problem that has gone beyond my limited knowledge, but it runs great and I can take the kids for rides.  I'm from Newcomerstown which is East central Ohio.  NE Kentucky... Ashland area?  We have a lot of work in Kentucky this year but mostly in the western part of the state.  As far as the tree... my mom is a pretty good poet, so they gave me a card with a poem talking about a gift from the greatest generation, child hood memories, and to follow the ribbons.  I thought it was going to be some of my grandparents furniture (which I would also love to have) but I followed the ribbons down the road and up their driveway to their garage.  The center door had a ribbon on it..... up with the door and there it was.  I couldn't believe it.  Someday I'll post about the history and the great man from Wyoming that owned it before me.

Steven

Reno
jb4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2006 at 10:37am

Why wait to tell a story like that ... Post up or Ban!!

1998 Jeep TJ - 5.5" lift 36" tires ... Coming Soon - 1 tons and 39.5" Iroks
1948 CJ2a - [s]Begining[/s] Stalled Restoration
1947 CJ2a with M38 tub
1947 CJ2a Parts Jeep
Mark Jennings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Jennings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2006 at 12:38pm
Hi Steve, Welcome to the CJ-2A family. There is one thing I would like to pass on and mabe some other members can either confirm or deny this. With the front bumper removed it takes some frame strength away from the front section of the frame. I mention this because of a CJ-3A rolling chassis I once had that did not have a front bumper and when turning the wheel with the tires on the ground the frame would actually flex from side to side and it caused the frame cross over tube to crack at the weld. I just wanted you to be aware of this so it would not happen to your Jeep with the bumper removed. Take care and good luck. Mark Jennings. 1947 CJ-2A. 94871
47 Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2006 at 3:20am
Steve, welcome. I have a similar story growing up.  Any sign of an original color?  Have fun...
1947 CJ-2A #87541

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevenBrode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2006 at 9:43am

I haven't posted the history because I only know the past couple of years, but as I remember there is a great story at the begining of this 48's existence.  Need that input from my uncle.

Thanks for the info Mark.  I was planning on putting a bumper on I just wanted to get the railroad rail off as it looked to be to heavy for the frame.

There is original color everywhere 47 willys.  I believe its Luzon Red but I'll have to have the better half confirm as I am colorblind and it could be either red as far as I'm concerned. 

Thanks for the welcome all.

Reno
Mark Jennings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Jennings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2006 at 10:39am
Hi Steve. Your very welcome. Once again, good luck with your restoration and take care. Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>