Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My former racing parts Jeeps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My former racing parts Jeeps
    Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 9:08pm
The ad said flat fenders $100 dollars. Showed pictures of both but there did not give a lot of detail. I messaged the seller, he gave me the story of the Jeeps and being only 30 minutes away I went to go look at them.

I was told they were both 1948's and when I saw them little clues told me they were not.

Jeep 1 has a V6 in it. Told a 231 but have not looked at casting numbers yet. The motor was only attached at the motor mounts and the passenger side exhaust was holding it barely off the ground.

The transmission and transfer case were laying on the ground behind the Jeep. The shifter handle is for a 4 speed and a single shifter transfer case with the drum emergency brake on the end of it. The shifter or forks may be broken as the trans would wobble all around, not going in any shift pattern. Bummer. The transfer case would not shift either but I feel the linkage is seized.

The rear axle looks like a Dana 44, has 1 piece shafts and what appear to be 10 inch drums. The brakes are seized, which made it phone getting it on the trailer. Unknown gear ratio.

The front axle is a Dana 27 with what looks like 10 inch brakes as well. Has a newer style Warn hubs, that use the small Allen bolts.

Suspension is an Rancho lift spring, under axle. Maybe 2-3 inches. Also has Con-Ferr shackles. It is sitting on worn out 33's

Frame is a CJ2A. A lot of metal added to the front horns for the power steering box. Not If the ID tag is under there.

The tub is an early '46 column shift. Has a tool indent but new metal added the lower one. Has the braces under the wheel well for the spare tire. Also the top bow brackets. The tool box looks decent although rusted latch and the floor is long gone, replace with sheet metal and some kind of sealing foam. It was originally Harvest tan. ACM number is 12,xxx.

The front fenders and grill were also originally harvest tan.

The hood has added braces added to it, not sure of original color yet.

It has a nice 6 point roll cage bolted to the body.

The more I look at this one the more I want to put it back together. I was going to take all the brackets off the tub and put them on my '47.

Jeep 2 is interesting.

No motor, trans or transfer case. Looks like it was set up for a Chevy V8.

The rear axle also look like a Dana 44 but has 9 inch drums on it. It is now a spring over and has an upper track bar mount welded to it.

The front axle is a Dana 25 with 11 inch drums. The Warn locking hubs are the same as my '47. It is also a spring over axle.

Suspension is stock with stock 2 piece shackles ( Except spring over now) It had no tires and wheels on it.

The frame is . . I'm not sure yet. Maybe CJ5.

The tub is not a CJ2A. It has tool indents on the passenger side, from under the tub you can see the rear wheel well tool boxes. A lot of the floor has been replace with thicker metal. Has a glove box too. Diamond plate is welded to the rear of the tub.

Hood is a Willys, front fenders are different. One looks factory the other maybe a replacement?

Grill is a '47.5 or later. Has metal rapped around it, probably to move it forward for the motor it had.

Not sure if everything is what I said it was. I got them both home and the first thing I did was pressure was the grime off of them.

By the time I get home from work it is usually dark or getting dark so working on these will go slow until the days get longer. Pictures will be added.

Bought them both for parts for my '47 but like I said Jeep 1 may be kept as a toy.

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 11:51pm
Jeep 1 on the left, Jeep 2 on the right.

Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2019 at 1:08am
Nice find Dennis,the jeep on the left doesn't look that bad at all.

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2019 at 2:02am
That Buzzards Roost sticker goes way back.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2019 at 2:41am
Lots of really good parts there on #1.
I'm guessing most of those drivetrain parts were taken from a 1970 or 1971 CJ.

From what I can see valve covers look to be Dauntless 225 not 231 Buick.
Has HEI ignition. A big added plus for an Odd Fire Dauntless.

Trans looks like T15 so its not from a 70/71 CJ.
The T15 is a nice upgrade from what would be  factory T14  in 1970/71 CJ.
TC looks like 66 to 71 factory big hole D18.

narrow track flanged rear was only available in 1970/71
If factory gears they will be 3.73 standard or optional 4.88 DR.
From factory the Dauntless CJ's have 10" Wagner brakes.
The narrow track D27 was factory mated to the D44 flanged rear axles.

Was V-6 fitted to 2A frame with original factory D 225 frame brackets ?

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2019 at 4:16am
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

Nice find Dennis,the jeep on the left doesn't look that bad at all.

Giles

The more I look at the left one, the more I want to put it back together.  It is not in that bad of shape. It would be fun on the beach! 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2019 at 4:21am
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

That Buzzards Roost sticker goes way back.

Unfortunately when I pressure washed it the sticker fell more apart. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2019 at 4:37am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Lots of really good parts there on #1.
I'm guessing most of those drivetrain parts were taken from a 1970 or 1971 CJ.

From what I can see valve covers look to be Dauntless 225 not 231 Buick.
Has HEI ignition. A big added plus for an Odd Fire Dauntless.

Trans looks like T15 so its not from a 70/71 CJ.
The T15 is a nice upgrade from what would be  factory T14  in 1970/71 CJ.
TC looks like 66 to 71 factory big hole D18.

narrow track flanged rear was only available in 1970/71
If factory gears they will be 3.73 standard or optional 4.88 DR.
From factory the Dauntless CJ's have 10" Wagner brakes.
The narrow track D27 was factory mated to the D44 flanged rear axles.

Was V-6 fitted to 2A frame with original factory D 225 frame brackets ?

Thanks Ken. 

Seller told me it is a Chevy 4.3 distributor.  I'll need to search for info on that. I don't know anything about these motors, this being the first one I have owned. Not sure the motor will even turn over. It sat outside for years with no cover on the carburetor and when I checked the oil it looked gray Confused 

I'll have to get a photo of the mounts when it is light outside. It is cold and I'm in my pajamasLOL
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2019 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

If factory gears they will be 3.73 standard or optional 4.88

I'll throw in my guess at 4.27s......

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2019 at 1:44pm
Is it cold in the dog house? LOLLOL You better be extra nice to your wife!!
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2019 at 2:03pm
I agree with Ken, It looks to be a Dauntless 225 in Jeep 1. Looks like it could be a fun project. Great find.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2019 at 5:36pm
Quote  Seller told me it is a Chevy 4.3 distributor.
Yeah, I could certainly be wrong on my guessing.
Pics don't clearly show the details I'm really looking for.
For example: the distributor  I see is certainly too large to be a DR points type distributor. 
So I'm guessing it's GM High Energy Ignition (HEI).
Can't see valve covers clearly to determine if they are 225 or else Buick 231 but they seem to be 225 type having well rounded corners.

Of course I'm speculating but most of the neeto' parts including short bellhousing were available from a 1970 CJ so I would guess 1970 to be the donor jeep.
1971 Dauntless CJ  would have a different (longer) bellhousing.
The short bellhousing shown is generally the most desirable BOP #9774035 for Jeeps.

Locate BOP bellhousing number on flat edge just below release fork opening.
You can look on the foreward RH side of engine block just under the exhaust and locate the stamped engine code. 
That will tell engine detail such as vintage, compression ratio, etc

Parts alone are easily worth 10 X the sale price............

Edited by oldtime - 30 Jan. 2019 at 5:38pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2019 at 10:13pm
As an owner of a 71 commando I do believe it to be the 225 odd fire engine.  The HEI should come off of a ~74 buick passenger car with an odd fire 231.  They had a V8 cap with two blank plug terminals.  Do to the odd fire of the engine for the rotor to pass fire to the plug wires the tabs inside the cap were offset and different positions.  Pretty cool.  That bell housing is the desirable short bell that can be adapted to a SM420 very easily.  I believe an SM465 is not a stretch either.  Nice find.Smile
-Gaffer
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 12:49am
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

Is it cold in the dog house? LOLLOL You better be extra nice to your wife!!

So far so good    I mentioned making one into a rat rod of sorts. Low to the ground and only 2wd but I really think Jeep 1 wants to return to its glory days.. now to convince my girl that!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 12:53am
I'm at work now but when I get home I'll take some better photos and post them up.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 2:39am
So was that $100 for each or both?  Either way, SCORE!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 3:52am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

So was that $100 for each or both?  Either way, SCORE!  Thumbs Up

For both! Cool 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 4:14am
Engine and intake manifold casting numbers

Block: 991503
Manifold: 1378704

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>