Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My GPW Eats Ignition Switches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My GPW Eats Ignition Switches
    Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:23pm
I'm getting ready to replace the toggle type ignition switch in my 1945 GPW for the third year in a row.  I'm not sure what the first one was but I've had both MV Spares and Joe's Motor Pool replacements.  If I put a jumper from the (6V) battery to the battery side of the coil it starts right up.  Aside from the ammeter there is nothing on that circuit to cause a problem.  The MV Spares wiring harness is less than 5 years old and the ammeter appears to work as it should.  Anything else I can check while I'm waiting for the next replacement?  Based on past experience, as soon as I replace the switch I'll be good for another summer driving season.

Bill

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 6:14pm

That does sound strange to have them to go bad that fast.  Have you tested the old ones to make sure they are bad with a continuity test?  Try jumping the wires right at the switch to make sure the rest of the circuit is good.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
mrbill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

That does sound strange to have them to go bad that fast.  Have you tested the old ones to make sure they are bad with a continuity test?  Try jumping the wires right at the switch to make sure the rest of the circuit is good.

Jim

Jim,

FWIW, I tested the two switches I still have and they show about 1.5 ohms resistance each.  I got a new reproduction switch today and went to put it in and one of the electrical studs fell off.  I was able to push it back on and start the jeep with it in place.  So, not a big fan of the reproductions.  I'd love to find a NOS or take-out to see if I have better luck.

Bill

CJ2A60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 4:55pm
How long are your points lasting?

If they are wearing out frequently, you might have a bad condenser. A bad condenser can make arcs appear in all sorts of places you wouldn't ordinarily expect to see them, like across the contacts of an ignition switch.
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2022 at 9:02pm
Switches are manufactured and rated for a certain amount of current (amps) and voltage.
Exceeding the ratings causes failure sooner or later.
Yes, you can measure current and voltage going through the switch.
Resistance (continuity) checks have only basic limited troubleshooting value.

Good luck trying to find published ratings on these switches, especially repops, especially if made off shore.

Edited by Ron D - 02 Aug. 2022 at 9:08pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
 Post Reply Post Reply