Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My M416 build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Freedom21 - How is the trailer build going?  You might try a sanding flap wheel on your grinder.  Easier on the arms and will give you better control than a wire cup on a 4" angle grinder.  You can also use the flap wheel to clean up any welds.

I was just going over the belly and the sides where the fenders had been mostly.  Cleaning up the gunk and flaky stuff before blasting it.  The earlier picture with my wire cup is just where I got carried away.  That part was coming clean so well I just kept going for a bit.  Only as far as the picture shows.  

Thanks for the advice on the flap wheel.  I will look into that.  I have the kind that has the "flaps" laid down and I use that on the welds.  Never tried the kind where the flaps are standing up.  Is that the kind you are referring to for sanding?
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 9:47pm
Great progress.  What did you decide on the wheels Cj, TJ, or Jk?
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Great progress.  What did you decide on the wheels Cj, TJ, or Jk?

For now, just going to blast and paint the original wheels.  Too many projects that require $$.  So that's one place I'll have to save money by sticking with what's there.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 10:02pm
I did the same on the wheels.  Part of the beauty of these little trailers is that one person can man handle them on level ground and they can be tucked into small space when you are in the field and not towing them.  Bigger wheels - wider or taller - may change those things.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2018 at 12:07am
How much did it run you on sandblasting and primer on the frame and tub, if you don't mind me asking?  Looks good, btw! Thumbs Up
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2018 at 1:39am
I'm married to one of the owners, so I got a pretty sweet deal.  :)
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2018 at 1:48am
Say no more brother, say no more!!!!

LOL Embarrassed
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

1940's Bantam T3-C
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2018 at 2:37am
She just told me they would give a "not to exceed" quote of $500 if someone called asking for what I just had done. That's blast and prime.

Edited by Freedom21 - 07 Mar. 2018 at 1:16pm
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2018 at 3:43am
If I was closer to you, I WOULD! But I'm afraid I'm pretty far from you.  Darn it!!!!  Thanks for the offer, though.

Jr

1940's Bantam T3-C
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 8:51pm
Sometimes it's baby steps, as frustrating as that can be.  But I did get a few small items blasted and primed today.

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 8:39pm
Since I'm welding a new back wall on the trailer, I need the tube stock that is at the top of the walls.  Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know what to order.  Meaning, the size.  I did order a length of what I thought was right, but it ended up being really thick walled and smaller diameter than I thought I was getting.  So I either ordered wrong, or they sent me the wrong item.  I'm really going with it was my fault.  So can anyone tell me what size tube stock is used around the top of the M416 trailer?  TIA
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123