Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My "New" Bantum Trailer!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My "New" Bantum Trailer!
    Posted: 24 Apr. 2010 at 3:12pm
I picked this up from a fellow jeeper in Connecticut last week. He offered it over the last two years but I didn't have the funds.Things changed a bit and I was lucky when I called again that he still had it. It needs work and a new floor pan, but what I find most interesting is the stake sides and bows. I haven't seen one quite like it anywhere. the sides are 5 slates up and it uses four bows across the top and they gradiate in the amount of bow curvature. I would think from front to back to keep aerodynamic pressure on the top while driving.

The sides have fittings at the top which lock the sides together.

At the bottom, the two sides have a turn latch to secure it to the trailer side.

At the front bottom of each side is another latch that locks onto the front stake end.

The bows fit into slots along the top and also fit into the bow pockets on the trailer itself for a lower profile.

It is very well made and I'd almost think it was manufactured. The wood is in bad shape, so when I get around to it, I'll replace all the wood.
Has anybody seen one like it or have any info about it's history?
Thanks.
Jerry

Edited by Jerry45 - 24 Apr. 2010 at 3:18pm
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
ndrtkr View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2010 at 3:24pm
....Thumbs Up, really nice Jerry.  I've never seen rails like that before, but obviously a lot of thought went in to development of it.  Also, clearly designed for the Bantam trailer.  I really like how the corners are designed to interlock.  You will certainly be the only kid on the block with this type of rails.  Congrats.....Dead
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid"- John Wayne
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2010 at 3:25pm
Jerry:

Cool find and CONGRATS are in order.  Good to see yet another Bantam that looks almost original.  I'm no expert and can't say for sure but that stake side and bows setup might not be original or let's just say true to the Bantam trailer.  Now, I could be wrong so check with others on this site.  I do reserve the right to be wrong, darn it, lol.

This is what I have as being the original stake and bow setup for the Bantam trailers:
PLEASE NOTE:  THIS IS NOT MY TRAILER.  JUST PICTURES I GOT ON THE INTERNET

Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2010 at 3:35pm
Maybe there was more than one 'original' configuration. (?)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2010 at 5:19pm
I have similar corner brackets on a harbor freight trailer that has seen a few modifications over the years....I don't know if they were bought new or stolen from an older trailer... but I have seen them in trailer supply places..

Nice trailer, Jerry... Did I see two combats and one Cj rim?
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2010 at 6:15pm
Thanks for the comments. The spare is a combat rim, but needs repair around the valve stem before it could be used as an operable rim.
There is no data tag on it, so I might use the one off my other "rust bucket" for this one. My other Bantum is in worse shape but is an earlier model and has the Arrow Tail light and two combat rims.
My thought is to take the two and make one that is a keeper  and the other to sell. I've never welded before, nor tried my hand at this type of restoration, but I could get the panels I need and practice on the "sell" Bantum so my "keeper" gets the benefit of the learning curve.
Here's some shots of my other BTC-3 to show you what I have to work with.
Jerry

What do you think?

Edited by Jerry45 - 24 Apr. 2010 at 6:16pm
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2010 at 10:57pm
Very interesting trailers Jerry.

The red one is early enough to still have the spring mounts with rivot bucking holes yet it only has 3 tie downs per side and also has the T3 military hooks, but no blackout lamp swith hole.

Please investigate the frame gusset to see if it might have an ACM number.

The images of Gary Johnson in canorisas post is actually for sale right now and is probably one of the most originals I know of.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
 Post Reply Post Reply