Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My story

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teenage Jeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My story
    Posted: 21 July 2005 at 7:27pm
I´m 13 years old and I have just recieved this CJ2A about four months ago. I got interested in all kinds of Jeeps when my dad bought a Wrangler and I have been searching for a Willys ever since. One night my dad went over to talk and have a couple drinks with our neighbors. Where my brother and I play with their sons. The subject got on Jeeps. I don´t know how it did, but it did. Fred our neighbor happens to be a railroader and he told my dad about this jeep sitting by the skating rink. My dad the next day just happened to bump into the owner of the skating rink. My dad asked him about it and it was for sale! The next day my dad met with the owner and planned things out. I had just got off from school and my dad told me we are going to go to the skating rink. I was wondering why would we be going to the skating rink when I had a paper route to do. He led me out by the rink and there sat a tail end of something rusty and then I saw the tailgate with the Willys Stamping on it. I stood there in disbeleif. I also learned a that time that it used to be my great grandpa´s when he ran the drive in theater in McCook. The night before we were talking about how cool it would be to find it. I am currently trying to get her running. I have already had to buy a new starter for her, but she is coming along fine. It is hard to work on my Jeep when my dad is in Kuwait for a year glad thing he found it before he left. I am geting help from one of my grandpa´s that knows how to fix up cars. I plan on doing a frame-up restoration to almost original condition.
1946 CJ2A #71123
jray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2005 at 8:39pm
really cool story...keep us posted on your progress.
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 8:37am
You are one lucky guy. Keep the pictures coming also.
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
klevan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klevan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 4:38pm

Great story that brought back some fond memories.  Back in 1962, when I was 16 years old, I discovered a 1946, Harvard Red, CJ2A sitting among the repossessions behind the Citizens Bank of Aztec, New Mexico.  Much excited, I reported my finding to my uncle, who was raising me at the time.  He wondered out loud what the hell I needed an old Jeep for and asked me if I really thought I had enough money to buy it from the bank.  Ascertaining that I had $250.00 he said nothing more.

I checked on that Jeep everyday. About a week later, I was crestfallen when I discovered it was gone.  The bank manager would only tell me that somebody bought it, but he wouldn't say who.  When I went down to my uncle's shop after school, it was sitting in the bay.  The title laying in the seat had my name on it.  My uncle would never show me the bill of sale, but he said  he paid exactly $250.00.

During the next two years, I took that beautiful Jeep and proceeded to commit all the atrocities for which I now curse GD previous owners.  I threw away the oil bath air cleaner and put a breather with a paper element on the carb, I drilled holes and mounted spotlights, I had the local machinist turn the 16x4.5 rims into 14x7 rims. I pulled out one Go Devil and put another in because it "might" be newer.  I rolled it. tore off the the fenders and broke the outer windshield frame.   Then, I welded it all back together.  Then I painted it black and sold it for $450.00 because I wanted a '55 Chevy, 2 door hard top to take to college. 

My recent restoration of CJ2A #75863 was a feeble attempt to atone for my sins. Good luck with your project.  Restore it, treat it with tender loving care, and hold on to it.  Sounds like you have a swell dad.  Someday you can pass your granfather's Jeep on to your son.

Ken Levan
1946 CJ2A #75863
ALbuquerque
BC472A105381 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BC472A105381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 9:41am
That's what the old car hobby needs, more young folks intrested in these vehicles!!!!!! Good luck I know that you can get lots of help from the folks here on the 2A page
47CJ2A Princeton Black Purchaced new by my Great-Grandfather!!

70 CJ-5 with 8,000lb. Ramsey winch V-6
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 3:46pm

I was 12 when the flatfender bug bit me. My dad had taken me to an auction and there was an old 46 2a there with a full metal hard top. This was around 1980, Dad said if that thing goes for more than $100 it's more than its worth. I think it went for around $263, needless to say it went with someone else. They took it home took the hard top off and thru it in the scrap pile. I remember seeing the jeep sitting there too with weeds grown up around it from not being used. Twenty years later, I find another Willys, my current 48, I had a full size Bronco with a bad transmission and the guy with the Willys wanted to trade. Needless to say I've got alot more than $100 in it. I had to wait twenty years for mine, but you've got all those years ahead of you, good luck with your jeep and have fun with it.

Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2005 at 12:37pm

Thats cool. I'm 29 and have been playing w/ jeeps about 10 years now. I have loved them since I saw Dasy Duke driving one on The Dukes of Hasard. In the 80's my friends big brother got a cj5 Renagade when we were about 7 years old. I remember he had to pick us up to get in it. It was the coolest thing I had ever been in. Now I have a 94 yj Wrangler with a 6" lift and 33x12.50 BFG mudds. It is my daily driver.I also have a 1945 2a ser#11713 in mid restoration. I have owned 10 cj2a's mostly 1947's one 1946. The 1945 is jeep #11 i have owned. The 10 others were sold when time or other needs took over or I needed money. Good luck w/ you ride and have fun.

Drifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2005 at 2:29am
well since everyone else wants to relay their story...

I think I first saw my first flatfender when I was 10 or 11 and the guy had painted "watch for flying parts" on the tailgate.  That's when I first started playing with the idea of having a jeep.  unfortunately my parents weren't as supportive of my dreams and ambitions as some others might be.

I got to drive my first 2a when i was dating this lil redhead girl.  we went  to a family event of hers and her uncle fired something up in the shed out back.  From the smell I thought it was an old tractor, but when he backed out I about lost it. I was grinning from ear to ear and the gf at the time couldn't turn my attention.  Well, he drove the little green machine around for a little bit but got out complaining that the clutch was too tight.  I was eyeing it and he caught me.  Long story going to short I ended up carting all the kids in her family around  all afternoon in that jeep.

wanted one ever since and finally got one 4 years and couple gfs later.

Now she's apart, and I work without a garage in my spare time between school and work.

This one is for fun so I'm going with the buick 225 v6 swap in and the nightmare of extra's that entails

I'll restore one later

My story
Luke

oh yeah the new gf loves the old beast

Edited by russnj
Luke

?? dj3a
-(to be tagged as 48 cj2a)
00 Ford Ranger
07 kia rio

in Ripley TN
Margaret View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margaret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2005 at 3:35pm

As long as everybody else is doing it...

My dad was a WWII vet that came home and had a love/hate relationship with Jeeps. He supplemented his policeman's salary by rebuilding surplus MB's for deer and duck hunters in his spare time. By the time I came along, however, my dad was 52 and had lost his love of Jeeping due to his bad back. He talked about all his war stories, of Guam and Saipan, of what he had seen done and survived thanks to a Jeep. He Jeeped Mt. Rainier for the army to be an observer once. I think it was a real highlight in his life.

When I was 12 he asked me what my dream car was. I told him I wanted a Jeep. He didn't say anything else about it until I was 15, when he asked me again. I said I wanted a Jeep. It was at that moment that he broke my heart when he said that girls don't need Jeeps. For the next 15 years I went through safe boring cars that I hated. It wasn't until I was married and had our first child that my husband asked me "I wish you liked cars. Is there one that's your dream car?" Without hesitation I said "I have always wanted a Jeep." On our anniversary that May, we bought my first Jeep. It was silver and beautiful and glittered like a jewel. When I drove it to my parents' house to show them, my dad said, "I should have got you that Jeep years ago, but I thought you'd grow out of it." He told me that several times again before he died that Christmas.

Last month we bought a '48 CJ2A (now our 4th Jeep) and are the little flatfender's second owners in 57 years. Now when we plan what we are going to work on next or when I look to the future at how I want it to look restored, I think about my dad's Jeeps, all the hours he spent doing the same thing. Maybe I feel a little closer to him under the hood. I think he would finally understand. So what if he didn't have a son with that Jeepin' gene, at least I have it to pass on to my daughter.

You are very fortunate to have found that Jeep that reaches back generatations in your family. One day I will do my own search to try to locate one of my dad's Jeeps, but I know it is a long shot. To have been given such a gift is irreplaceable. Don't ever lose it.

Keep Jeepin'

Margaret

p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2005 at 10:16pm
Drifter  When you stated the "watch out for flying parts" it reminded me of a car last year at a shop.  The Kid , proud that he bought a car for 100.00, had that bumper sticker on the back of his car.  Just done repairing it himself,  He decided to drive it home.  Well  he started it and punched the acclerator a little and took off smiling.  Then there was a BANG.  I watched the drive shaft the transmission boot then the yoke and misc. parts falling off from under the car bouncing on the pavement as he rolled to a stop.  Just like on a cartoon.
Ed
cj2a lefty
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2005 at 3:46am
Originally posted by Teenage Jeeper Teenage Jeeper wrote:

I´m 13 years old and I have just recieved this CJ2A about four months ago. I got interested in all kinds of Jeeps when my dad bought a Wrangler and I have been searching for a Willys ever since. One night my dad went over to talk and have a couple drinks with our neighbors. Where my brother and I play with their sons. The subject got on Jeeps. I don´t know how it did, but it did. Fred our neighbor happens to be a railroader and he told my dad about this jeep sitting by the skating rink. My dad the next day just happened to bump into the owner of the skating rink. My dad asked him about it and it was for sale! The next day my dad met with the owner and planned things out. I had just got off from school and my dad told me we are going to go to the skating rink. I was wondering why would we be going to the skating rink when I had a paper route to do. He led me out by the rink and there sat a tail end of something rusty and then I saw the tailgate with the Willys Stamping on it. I stood there in disbeleif. I also learned a that time that it used to be my great grandpa´s when he ran the drive in theater in McCook. The night before we were talking about how cool it would be to find it. I am currently trying to get her running. I have already had to buy a new starter for her, but she is coming along fine. It is hard to work on my Jeep when my dad is in Kuwait for a year glad thing he found it before he left. I am geting help from one of my grandpa´s that knows how to fix up cars. I plan on doing a frame-up restoration to almost original condition.
Chris Salisbury View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Salisbury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2005 at 3:31pm

Well i'm another youngin' with a CJ2A... I bought mine when I was 20 (now 21 whoopty doo) for $500 off a ranch that it had been on since the 60's. Luckily I got there to save it because the guy sold the ranch and already had the poor lil Willys on a flatbed headed for the scrap yard with the title rubber banded to the shift lever! Ofcourse the guts were pulled out of it and just sitting in the bed but amazingly everything was there... I just started putting everything together and amazingly the thing started after a couple hours of tinkering with the engine. I have had several classics before and still own a '71 TR6 but the Jeep has been the most fun by far. It still looks like I just pulled it outta the scrap yard but it's still fun to play with... it smokes and knocks a lil but it's got me and my friends through some serious stuff and when I can afford it i'm going to give it the frame up restoration it deserves. For right now i'm just happy that it was compressed into a cube!

It sure would help if they could talk to us though! lol... so far I know it came from Colorado originally then came to Texas where it found me.  

I also know that it's that burgundy "Luzon Red" color AND it's one of those rare 1949's too... talk about luck eh? Speaking of lucky... when I got the Jeep i noticed it had a huge hole cut in the hood... F head... but someone blew that motor up so I got the original style with it... i'll post the serial numbers later... maybe someone can tell me if it's the original.

Thanks for reading!

Chris Salisbury... '49 CJ2A aka "Ol' Scrappy"

Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2005 at 8:22pm
dude you got pics?
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
 Post Reply Post Reply