Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Willys rolled down a mountain!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Willys rolled down a mountain!
    Posted: 18 Jan. 2007 at 9:12pm
As many of my friends on this site are already aware, I inherited my 2A from my grandfather, who purchased it new. 

As a kid, my brothers and cousins and I delighted in the telling of this tale, which I now share with you, along with original pics of the event.

In October of '49, when my jeep was barely a year old, my grandfater, grandmother, and my parents took it on a deerhunt in the mountains of central Utah (Six Mile Canyon out of Manti).  This was the first time that either of the women had gone deer hunting, reluctantly, and as it turned out, the last time as well!

Near the top of the canyon, and while traversing a slippery slope, Gramps lost control and they rolled it, several times down the hill, finally landing upside down in a gully.  Luckily no one was hurt (miraculously), but the Willy was pretty banged up, and now they were stranded in the middle of nowhere!  The women agreed, or were coerced, into hiking back down the mountain to Manti to fetch help.  At this point in the story, Mom and Grandma would always glare at the men, who just smiled and looked away sheepishly!  After many hours and miles, they reached the town, only to find it near empty of men and available vehicles, for everyone was gone hunting!  Now the glares got intense, and all us kids would laugh!  I always wondered why Dad and Gramps weren't laughing with us.........

Finally, they said, after walking the length of the town, they came upon an old farmer who reluctantly agreed to help.  So back up the mountain they went - in a mule-drawn sledge!  And that was how the Willys was pulled back on to its feet and down the mountain - end of deerhunt, no deer, broken jeep, and perhaps worst of all, pissed off wives!  Dad and Gramps probably didn't get any for a month after that!  LOL

We all loved that story, and especially the old slides that accompanied it and told the tale, and which we viewed on an ancient slide viewer.  I always loved those slides, and after the jeep became mine I swore that I would someday get them printed so as to share the story with my own kids and grandkids.  Well, that day has finally arrived, and now I would like to share these ole pics with you, my 2A buddies!

Most of the pics are of the wreck, and recovery, but there are also some taken in the summer of '49 during various camping and fishing trips.  These are great, as when viewed up close show many fine original details - such as the Willys logos on the hood being painted white, which we have debated in this forum!  Hopefully you can zoom in and check things out better, as the quality and clarity of these old photos is not that great.  There are also two pics of my gramps attending reunions of the "Davis County Jeep Posse" - a devoted group of jeep enthusiasts who took their rigs on mountain search and rescue missions, and on twice yearly trail rides.  Note how all these jeeps were painted alike - "fire engine red" - which is the color of mine today.

Enjoy, my friends!  Let me know what you think.

Tony

<font size=2>
Check out my photo and video album
<a href="http://alaskacj2a.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album03" title="Photo Sharing by myphotoalbum.com">Old Jeep Photos</a>!
</font>

48 CJ2A 212561
President, Alaska chapter of the IFFC

Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2007 at 11:47pm
Tony,
Great story! Please fix the link to the album so we can enjoy the pictures!
CJAlaska
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2007 at 10:11am
It's getting harder to keep you two Alaskans straight. Tony thats one of the best stories I've seen posted! Looks like they were all "trapped" in there with the top and all. Very lucky no one was killed let alone not injured. It always amazes me that people traveled this area back in the 40's-50's in those old vehicles as even today it's so remote. Long hike to try and find help. Goes to show people were more daring and self sufficient just 50 yrs ago compared with the wussy life styles of today. You are so lucky to have all that historical provinience along with your grandfathers Willys. Thanks for sharing.   Allen

Edited by westforkboyd - 19 Jan. 2007 at 10:32am
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2007 at 12:06pm
Very cool pictures!!!!!

Sorry about the Jeep
Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2007 at 1:38pm
I still can't get the doggone pictures! Tried cut and paste. Help!

WFB: AlaskaCJ2A (Tony) and I (Ken) are easy to tell apart: I'm the tall good looking one...Wink

CJAlaska

Edited by CJAlaska - 19 Jan. 2007 at 1:51pm
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2007 at 2:07pm
I will admit that it was not until I read this thread that I was aware of the distinction between Ken and Tony given their easy (certainly for me) to confuse monikers.

And, that is a very good Jeep story! 
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2007 at 2:07pm
Well, that's quite some story - and to have pictures too - wonderful.
I envy your Jeep's provenance, and now you can add to it.
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
I AM the understanding wife!
Anyone seen my marbles?
Always hoisted by my own petard!
AlaskaCJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2007 at 7:30pm
Ken -

I just tried the picture link and had no problem - could it somehow be your system?  Anyone else having trouble linking to the pics?  let me know, and maybe I can send them directly to you. 
Anyone notice from the pics that the windshield was snapped clean off at the bottom of the inner frame?  Someone did a real fine sleeved and braced repair, though, and she looks good now, although you can certainly tell what happened.  No other apparent remaining damage or visible repairs.  Dang these machines are tough! 
48 CJ2A 212561

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2007 at 7:38pm
I'm having no problem linking to them, but tried this afternoon and got the 'red x' on about 4 of them.....tried just now and I get them all but one.

But then again, I'm really not a good example as far as the system problems you mentioned...I have my share of problems from time to time, not nearly as often now with the laptop though.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2007 at 9:08pm
Maybe the picture server was busy and I'm not patient enough; the pix have magically appeared. They were worth a few tries though, very unusual to see color pics from 'back when".
Grandpa in his shorts (pic 14) is kinda scary though.  Ill bet the bears were keeping their distance. Talk about a farmer suntan!

CJAlaska

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2007 at 9:18pm
I really enjoyed your post. Great history for you and Granddad's Jeep. The pics are priceless. Oh and Grandpa in his shorts are what Alaska is all about...Damn the torpedos!!!!
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2007 at 11:30pm
Cjalaska, With these pictures you can answer your own mirror questions.  It shows both mirrors, and when the mirrors were broken.  The outside one is broke uprighting the jeep and the inside one is too.  The pic of the two in with your grandpa in shorts.  Outside one is still on with the jeep upside down and in tact.
Ed
cj2a lefty
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2007 at 8:40am
Thanks for sharing that great story. It's truely special to have pics of your jeep in the day when it was new. The jeep didn't look to bad considering it rolled down a mountain... tough little bugger. I'm amased that the steering column didn't get crushed.  
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2007 at 2:54pm
Ed -

Indeed the pics have helped me to solve the mystery of my mirror confusion, as well as other discrepancies.  The original rearview had to have been destroyed, or lost (could still be on top of that mountain in Utah!) in the crash.  Gramps, or someone, then modified the round sideview mirror stud to fit the windshield bracket, which is how I have always known it to be.  I will restore the sideview to its original orientation, as I still have the bracket and arm, but am now searching for an original rectangular rearview.  As for the pic of my gramps in shorts (yes, scary indeed!) and the shiny red jeep behind him - that is not his (my) jeep - that is a 3A (B?) - but indeed a nice shot of an original side mirror assembly.  And now, having seen such a flattering pic of my grandfather, you all know where I got my good looks from!  Confused 

Edited by AlaskaCJ2A - 20 Jan. 2007 at 2:58pm
48 CJ2A 212561

p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2007 at 5:56pm
Alaska,  On the one pic of the jeep upside down the side mirror is there.  The next pic. of the jeep uprighted the mirror is gone.  That is where your mirror is.    GO get it.
Ed
cj2a lefty
Lomar15 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2007 at 4:39am
Cool story and love the pics, It's nice to know the whole history with your Jeep

Bob
46 CJ2A #48777
42 MB Slat Grill 119898 Frame
51 M38 Body
42 MB #155950
Spen Trailer

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomar15CJ2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2007 at 3:35pm
  Note the lady's (Mom?) smile in all the pic's-- even while she's cooking dinner with the upside-down Jeep in the background. Maybe she's just glad to be alive!Thumbs%20Up  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2007 at 4:26pm
Yeah, that's my Mom - smiling in all the pics despite the extreme circumstances - she was one cool lady, for sure - loved to camp and fish, although that was her last deer hunt!  My Dad was a lucky guy........

All of my siblings, having grown up with this story, keep asking if I am going to install a roll bar along with the restoration!  I seriously considered it for a time, but have decided not to - it just wouldn't look right.  I will put in seat belts, however.  My advice to my son, who will inherit this jeep from me?  Avoid slope traversing situations, and don't roll it!  After seeing these pics, he gets it!

Thanks to all for the positive comments - it's been a pleasure sharing this bit of family history with you! 
48 CJ2A 212561

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>