Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My winter project - Built my own tub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philshevlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2011 at 6:16pm
This helps!

1951 CJ3A
My build album and thread
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2011 at 6:31pm
The hole and bracket behind it are not original. Looks to me like someone added a firewall mounted brake master cylinder and the bracket is for the brake pedal to pivot on. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
philshevlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philshevlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2011 at 6:35pm
Ah!  Thanks.

1951 CJ3A
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2011 at 7:13pm
Not stock.  Looks like master cylinder mounted to the firewall, with a  hanging brake pedal inside.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philshevlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2011 at 11:31pm
Well, its gone now.  Getting some patching/welding experience.

Edited by philshevlin - 23 Dec. 2011 at 11:32pm
1951 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philshevlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2012 at 11:14pm
I picked up Mike in Oregon's tailgate repair section and got to work today.  

1951 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philshevlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2012 at 11:17pm
I picked up Mike in Oregon's tailgate repair section and got to work today.  

1951 CJ3A
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 2:26am
Nice work..lets see the  show side too!
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philshevlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2012 at 11:22pm
The more I look, the more holes I find...

1951 CJ3A
Roberto Flores View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Flores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2012 at 10:31am
Well, but at least you´re still working on it. Keep up the good work!
Roberto Flores
Made to order cartoons, comics...!
http://www.robertoflores.com
http://www.cafepress.com/robertoflorescartoonist
http://www.cafepress.com/theoutliner
http://www.zazzle.com/flores67

Jeeper71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeper71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2012 at 4:51am
I think your doing good. I too will be doing a tub that is badly beaten and rotted, rather than buy a new one.

Restores Coleman Gas Lanterns and Stoves.
Windmill/well pump hobbiest. (Heller Aller, Aermotor).

1946 CJ2A, basket case status.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philshevlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2012 at 11:28pm
Started on the tailgate surround and the rear valance...

1951 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philshevlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2012 at 11:25pm
Since I have more time than money, I am recycling some of the plate the PO covered the floors with.  In this case I used some to fabricate a replacement for the lower tailgate surround and the rear valance brackets.

1951 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philshevlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2012 at 9:24pm
Well, I decided to attempt to form side panels.  I'm hoping my metal forming skills are better than my patching skills.  I'm gonna try doing it like Brian did, but with MDF forms as FBill suggested.

1951 CJ3A
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2012 at 10:04pm
Don't forget LOTS OF CLAMPS!!! Even use a piece of angle iron to spread the clamping load and clamp that sucker TIGHT before you start. And if you are tracing the old panel, remember to leave an allowance for the bent up lips and bent over inner piece.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philshevlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2012 at 11:05pm
Almost done with the first side panel.  I just have to do the top channel.  Something I noticed about using MDF, if you have to shrink a decent amount, like the small radius corners, the tucks/folds tend to press into the soft wood.  Once that happens, there's no turning back -- and its impossible to shrink it further to remove the folds.  I'll have to try to remove them after I take the panel out of the forms.

It definitely would be better if the forms were steel.  But so far, this is working pretty good.

I also tacked a couple pieces of scrap angle to the top side of the panel.  This is to prevent the sheet from getting pulled into the form while I work the bottom side of the panel.  It worked perfect.  Between the clamps and the tacked angle.  The sheet didn't move a millimeter!

I mainly used the 3 hammers shown.  I have a few more from a project I did a few years ago, but these 3, so far, have been all I needed.

1951 CJ3A
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2012 at 11:24pm
Looking good so far.. a couple of suggestions, well worth what ya paid....Wink

MORE CLAMPS....and drop those cheapy bar clamps in favor of some more Heavy duty c clamps. At least where you are hammering you need to clamp the flat surface very well...

Go slower and try and bend a little less with each hammer hit...that will help out on those tucks that were forming....

You may find releiving the top hammerform piuece to provide more access may help.

I have heard fiberglass resin applied to the raw sawn edges will help stiffen it up some...I have not tried it.

You may need a little heat on the reverse curves you will have on the top section.. Gonna be the tough part of the job.

Eagerly awaiting the next picture session!Clap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philshevlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2012 at 12:09am
Thanks.  I am enjoying it.  A side benefit is developing Popeye forearms!

I had more clamps, just not in the photos.  Two more in the wheel well.  Probably no more than 16" apart.  I'll add more.

I'm not sure, I could go slower on those corners.  I put the tucks there with the small end of the teardrop hammer.  Then tried to flatten them out.  I was using just the weight of the metal hammer -- no real muscle. The problem was -- the tucks pushed into the soft wood immediately. I don't see how you can shrink without a solid backing (dolly) behind the hammer.

On the next one, I will try and hold some sheet metal along the edge of the MDF.  This should keep the sharp/edges of the tucks from piercing into the MDF

Edited by philshevlin - 18 Jan. 2012 at 12:11am
1951 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>