Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Electrical Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NACO Tail Lights - further details

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NACO Tail Lights - further details
    Posted: 19 Sep. 2006 at 1:06pm
Everyone else seems to have luck finding complete jeeps, all I find are parts...  Might find enough to actually build a jeep one day.Wink

An update on NACO Standard tail lights:

Willys CJ2A Tail Lights

Sean
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2006 at 4:39pm
Jeez Sean! I don't know where you find this friggin' stuff! Makes me jealous.
dclear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dclear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2006 at 8:53pm
Well, guys, what do I do?  I have an ALA tail lamp, complete, with horizontal mounting studs.  Took it off a Jeep Stawag myself years ago.  Do I change the studs to verticle to use it on my 46 2A, or do I drill holes in the body?  I would like to use this lamp, even though I will have only one tail light showing--maybe not lawful--and no turn signals.  Since it will not be a daily driver, I'm not too worried about this, but maybe I should?

Maybe someone will trade me a "take off" ALA in excellent condition for a NACO with vertical studs in similar condition?  [In my dreams!]  Maybe get another and put two of them back there and have turn signals and all.  Trouble is, I hate those after market turn signal levers, although I distinctly remember them in the late 1940's--they "ran" off a rubberwheel  that rubbed against the rotating steering wheel hub, as I recall.

Edited by dclear - 19 Sep. 2006 at 8:54pm
del clear

Together we can figure it out, after all, it's only a machine, if a man can build it, a man can fix it. {Author: bkruetz}
64ragtop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64ragtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2006 at 9:14pm
Del, does Wisconsin NOT have an "antique" vehicle registration category?
Here in Texas, I can register vehicles over a certain age as antiques and use 'em in parades and shows and drive 'em back and forth to the events and to my mechanic without the annual safety inspection!!!

They expect that the vehicle is as built, and is operating as designed.  I haven't looked it up, and I forget what the actual fee is, but it's for five years and it's cheaper than normal registration, gets ya an "antique" license plate, and waives the safety inspection.  Check with your stat'e DMV.  Good luck!

(I'm lobbying for an antique registration for my mangy ol' carcass, but that's another story!)
If it aint broke, fix it 'til it is! (or YOU are)
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2006 at 10:12pm
Del:

If it's in good condition, sell it on ebay.  Get a repro NACO, or a used NACO off a Jeepster or other vehicle, and move the studs on that.  At least it will be the right type for 2A.

Idaho has grandfathered most older vehicles.  I can operate legally without seat belts or 2nd tail light.  If the car didn't have it from the factory, it ain't necessary.

Sean
Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2006 at 11:22pm
Sean....I like how you nonchalantly post pics of the "Holy Grail" of 2a parts.

Grrrrr~!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting "...holy cow, what a ride!"
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2006 at 11:46am
Hope it didn't ruffle any feathers.  Just wanted to get the technical details posted so we can all see what it's supposed to be. Maybe I'll move the photos to the end of the page so the tech info comes first.Wink

I do get lucky occasionally finding bits and pieces, but never another one to drive while the first one goes back together.Cry

Sean
Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2006 at 12:06pm

I just couldn't help but start foaming at the mouth when I saw them...

I tell you what would smooth my feathers out, Should I PM you my shipping addy? I just want one.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
dclear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dclear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2006 at 12:32pm
Gee, guys--I really don't know, but I imagine it HAS some such provision to go along with its collector plate registration, which is a bit pricey up front, but you dont have to renew it every year, and the place sticks with you for life--my current plate was once on a 56 dodge I once owned.  I haven't managed to do the re-registration successfully--the DMV got confused between body serial numbers and motor numbers--the latter was on the title I sent in for transfer, and that resolution is in the mix as we speak.  I think I filled a blank on the application which asked for serial number and put in the body number rather than motor number.  They are also suggesting that the motor number and the body number should usually be the same, but we all know better, don't we?  I'll let you know how it comes out, but I'm not worried--I had a clear title, and it's simply a matter of getting things clarified.  At their request, I sent them a Pencil rubbing of both numbers, and that should satisfy them.  I'll let you know how it comes out.

del clear

Together we can figure it out, after all, it's only a machine, if a man can build it, a man can fix it. {Author: bkruetz}
64ragtop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64ragtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2006 at 4:54pm
Since the only unbent taillights Ive ever seen were on show Jeeps,  I found the title of the big write-up on the taillights quite amusing: "

NACO Standard Taillight

AKA Willys CJ-2A Bumpers

64ragtop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64ragtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2006 at 5:09pm
Are you folks gonna run me out of town if I put big L.E.D. tail, stop, and turn signal lights on my 2A, along with a pretty significant rear bumper to replace the drawbar?  If ya drove in Austin, Texas traffic for twenty minutes, you'd see why I wanna do this!  I've been thinking of a twin jerry can mount with dayglo orange cans and a big logo that says "stay back, nitroglycerine"  in both English and Espanol!
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2006 at 11:26pm
Doug:
Quote Should I PM you my shipping addy? I just want one.
I'd have to resort to IRS tactics here:  "How much money do you have?  Hand it all over!"Smile

Sean
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2006 at 11:32pm
Bob:
Quote Willys CJ2A Bumpers
Isn't that what they put them there for?

Seems that all 2 of them I've seen still on the jeep have been crunched beyond redemtion!

Just don't put those ridiculous flashing arrow turn signal mirrors on it!Thumbs%20Down  Anything else goes.

Sean
64ragtop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64ragtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2006 at 3:16am
Not to worry, Sean, the flashing arrow signal mirrors would be over the top even for me!!!  I wanna be seen, but I aint into bling!
Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2006 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

I'd have to resort to IRS tactics here:  "How much money do you have?  Hand it all over!"Smile

Sean
You may not want to say that so quickly...LOL
Might lose out on that deal ;)
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2006 at 1:21pm
Tactic #2: "How much will you make in the rest of your life?  Hand it ....!"Wink
Ford GP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford GP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2019 at 4:28am
Bad Link.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2019 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Ford GP Ford GP wrote:

Bad Link.

This is an older post.  I went the parent website, and navigated to the "Old Website"  and found the link.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>