Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need an L-head intake manifold!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need an L-head intake manifold!
    Posted: 15 Aug. 2005 at 5:23pm

Hi all,

I need an intake manifold for an '46 L-head engine.  I found a large crack in mine that would be a super tricky weld, not sure I want to bother with it.  I'm looking for a decent original, not overly rusty with no cracks or breaks, thanks!  uglyjeep@wi.rr.com

Edited by uglyjeep
Scott View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2005 at 11:31pm
I have a spare head for a 48 flat head 4 cyl. willys.  It has the Willy's casting in the head.  Not sure of the integrity of the head as it was thrown in with a "48 CJ2A Parts Jeep" I bought several years ago.  I have several items I'm looking to part with.  Contact me if interested at curl@hardynet.com
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2005 at 4:54pm
Thanks, but my cylinder head is in nice condition, I really just need an intake.
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2005 at 7:40pm
i have one i will send pics this week when i can get home.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2005 at 8:28pm
Well, I could use one too, but mine is a little differant. It came from a jeepster and used the yf carb instead of the wo. I've got a solex on it now, or did until I took the manifold off and broke one of the studs. So I've got loads of fun ahead, I'm gonna try to weld the manifold, it's broke on both intake tubes, figure I really don't have anything to loose. I know this didn't help you at all but, your not alone.
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2005 at 11:23pm
Hi, good luck with the stud removal, the best advice I have is take your time.  I broke one off in the block removing the manifolds.  I carefully ground the exposed part of the remnant flat and measured carefully to center punch the broken stud dead square, which is tough to do.  I used my trusty Milwaukee close quarters 3/8" drill, it is a life saver in the tight spots!  Starting with a tiny bit, I was able to work my way up to a the size that you would normally use if you were drilling and tapping the hole in the first place, in this case 5/16" for the broken 3/8" course stud.  Then with a pick, I carefully peeled the remnants of the studs threads out of the block threads almost like a helicoil.  When I go the first 1/4" of threads clear, I ran a tap in and out of the hole a little at a time and it took out the remaining stud thread pieces.  It worked like a charm.  Although it took a couple hours to accomplish, I didn't even damage the original threads one bit.  I'd also recommend, not bothering with a screw extractor for the studs which are usually way to tight for the easily broken extractors.  Even if you put a relief cut in them, they can be a pain to remove.  Just my experience, hope it helps.
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2005 at 2:26pm
Looks like I found one, thanks everyone!  I found an original NOS one from the mid 40's!  I can't wait to get it installed...
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2005 at 10:54pm
I welded mine up and drilled out the broken stud. Sure helped with the way it runs DUH! Anyhow I'm back to running the hills around here and having fun with it. Good luck with yours and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.
Randy View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2005 at 12:36pm

Dan,

Did the intake arrive yet?  My e-mail is down, so haven't been able to check it. I'll keep checking here though.  I'll try to send an e-mail but I doubt it'll work.  Thanks.

Randy

uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2005 at 9:58am
Hi, it did, thanks Randy.  It is a great piece, I really appreciate it!
 Post Reply Post Reply