Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with brakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adventure Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 1:20pm
While I do appreciate the purist approach,  I won't be worried about that too much with this one.  I just like the left hand lugs because they are quirky and IMO a cool part of the Jeep.   
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 1:48pm
I have driver side left hand threads on one of my Jeeps but only because I used military surplus M38A1 axles, and didn't bother to change the studs. When I do replace the studs I always go with right hand thread.

Just be sure that if you ever take it to a tire store that the guy changing the tires knows about it, or you will probably get a few busted studs.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Adventure Van View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adventure Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Just be sure that if you ever take it to a tire store that the guy changing the tires knows about it, or you will probably get a few busted studs.

Good advise.  Thanks.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 7:37pm
Everyone is thinking your brakes are the same as theirs on their CJ2A, you have M38, M38A1, Cj3b brakes where the drums are held in alignment with the 3 screws and sometimes rust causes them to be hard to remove, but you figured it out a BFH. 
Your drums slip over the hubs (the advantage of those 9" brakes) 

No need to replace your studs unless you want to.

Edited by jeeper50 - 24 Aug. 2021 at 7:39pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adventure Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

Everyone is thinking your brakes are the same as theirs on their CJ2A, you have M38, M38A1, Cj3b brakes where the drums are held in alignment with the 3 screws and sometimes rust causes them to be hard to remove, but you figured it out a BFH. 
Your drums slip over the hubs (the advantage of those 9" brakes) 

No need to replace your studs unless you want to.
  There was a bit of confusion in the responses, but in the end, my conclusion is that I have 3b brakes, front and rear.  
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 12:10am
Jeeper50,

I don't think anyone thought the brakes were the same as a CJ2A other than Adventure Van when he drove out the wheel studs on the rear hubs. He does need to replace those.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adventure Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2021 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Adventure Van Adventure Van wrote:

Talked to KW Jason and Mike both insist they will work for the 3b setup.  I tried to explain that "the forum" was telling me that they were too long and could make drum removal difficult because of the longer splines.  KW indicates that they have never had a problem like I describe and will work for my application.  The studs were already shipped, so I guess I will find out first hand soon.
Well I got the new studs today and the new ones have a 1/2" long knurl and the old ones are 5/16.  The new ones from Kaiser Willys will not work as oldpappy and others have indicated.  I found the correct ones at willysjeep.com.  It will be interesting to see what KW will have to say now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adventure Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2021 at 9:15am
I just called Kaiser Willys about the difference in length of the knurl.  They still insisted that it should work.  I guess it depends on what you consider "working"?  I don't want to knock out the wheel studs every time that I want to look at my brakes.  In the end, they refunded my money and I don't have to ship them back.  Anyone need any LH studs that will work for 2a and?  I have 10.  
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2021 at 9:17am
pm sent
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2021 at 9:52am
Like I said, Kaiser Willys says a lot of things. In this case those studs would have "worked" they just aren't what you should use with the later drums. Perhaps KW really hasn't ever heard of the problem with that, I have seen other indications on their site that indicates a lack of knowledge at best or just plain poor representation of product.

KW is last on my list of suppliers. The only time I will buy from them is when I can't find what I need at my preferred suppliers. Plenty of others that are more knowledgeable, more helpful, and sell at better prices.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adventure Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2021 at 10:25am
Studs going to bight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adventure Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2021 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Like I said, Kaiser Willys says a lot of things. In this case those studs would have "worked" they just aren't what you should use with the later drums. Perhaps KW really hasn't ever heard of the problem with that, I have seen other indications on their site that indicates a lack of knowledge at best or just plain poor representation of product.

KW is last on my list of suppliers. The only time I will buy from them is when I can't find what I need at my preferred suppliers. Plenty of others that are more knowledgeable, more helpful, and sell at better prices.
One would think that KW would know better since old Jeeps are their specialty.  I also placed an order with Walks at the same time as KW.  They seem to be about 10% less than KW.  It took Walks 4 days to get it shipped and I got the order 11 days later.  KW shipped the same day and I got my order the same day that Walks told me they we sending it out.  I also found a 10% off code for KW.  Still expensive though and in the end I got a wrong part and had to make 3 phone calls to get it settled.   This brings me to my next question:  Who do you guys like for preferred online suppliers for brake and axle parts?  

Edited by Adventure Van - 27 Aug. 2021 at 12:53pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2021 at 1:15pm
  I get almost all of my jeep parts from either Walck’s 4WD or Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts. I too only use K-W if I can’t find what I want elsewhere. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2021 at 1:21pm
several threads exist about parts suppliers. here is a recent one:

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2021 at 5:53pm
Morris 4X4 has dropped to the bottom of my list. I ordered a pair of seats early in July, which were listed on their site as "in stock". Original shipping date they gave me was middle of July, which came and went, then got an update that the shipping date was being pushed out to August 26 (yesterday). Today I got another update that the shipping date is being pushed out to Sept 16. 

I told them that if they don't ship by Sept 16 I would be requesting a refund and would order from a supplier who actually does have them "in stock". They responded within a half hour, but nothing meaningful in the response.

My go to suppliers in order of preference:

1) QTM
2) Walcks
3) RFJP

QTM is at the top because they are reliable, and just down the road a bit from me. Walcks is above RFJP only because they have more for civilian Jeeps, but both Walcks and RFJP are knowledgable, reliable, and carry quality parts.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2021 at 6:48pm
  I don’t use QTM, as much as I’d like to, because neither my phone nor my computer will let me access their web site. They say it’s “not secure”.  ??
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2021 at 7:26pm
QTM's website has some problems, it doesn't seem to be as up to date as their Ebay store, and I have never been able to get PayPal to work with it.

I usually drive down there to get stuff, especially if it is something large. It is always interesting to see what new project Matt has going on, and to take a look around for stuff I might want. 

For smaller stuff I sometimes buy from their Ebay store. Their prices are usually better than most, quality is usually top notch, and stuff I order always gets here quick. They often have hard to find NOS parts too. 

I have bought a lot of stuff from them, and was disappointed only once with a CJ5 cowl seal that didn't fit.

Edited by Oldpappy - 27 Aug. 2021 at 7:28pm
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2021 at 8:31pm
For Civilian Jeep parts call Walcks. CALL them, talk to them, they know their stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>