Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NEED HELP WITH GOV MARKINGS ON 63 UTILITY WAGON
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEED HELP WITH GOV MARKINGS ON 63 UTILITY WAGON

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseyWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEED HELP WITH GOV MARKINGS ON 63 UTILITY WAGON
    Posted: 24 Apr. 2023 at 8:13am
I am hoping someone might be able to help me determine the meaning of the numbers painted on the roof of my 1963 utility wagon. Below is a picture of the markings. They are black,  read " HO  IG-1555", are about 4" tall and hand painted. There is faint evidence that these same markings were on the front bumper also. It still has the original paint color of GSA grey.

I bought my wagon in 1983 while working near Seattle. The only other markings are the data plate on the glove box and "US GOVENRMENT FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY" stickers on the doors. The numbers on the roof were not visible until I washed it after moving it out of the barn after 40 years of storage.

I am leaning restoring the original paint and markings and would dearly love to find out what branch of our government used my wagon and what it was used for.

Any help would be appreciated.

1682337539296.jpeg

1682337577602.jpeg

Thanks Chris

CDUB
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2023 at 9:46am
Its most likely the Forest or Parks service. They were buying Willys Wagons in 1963 at the same time the first Wagoneers were coming out. They liked the older style wagon.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2023 at 7:36pm
I seem to recall those kind of numbers on Willys wagons that were up for auction in the mid seventies. I was buying Power Wagons & Caterpillars. The Power Wagons had data plates that said they were property of the U.S. Forest Service. Big surprise, they were painted forest service green.

The auctions were for mostly USFS rigs with a few BLM, (Bureau of Land Management), thrown in just for grins. For me, this is what BLM will always stand for. Some of the Cats were marked "U. S. Navy". What the Navy needed D-8 & D-9 Cats for I have no clue. The Cats also had tags from the BLM. So they probably were acquired from the Navy by the BLM.

Some of the Cats were Caterpillar yellow & some were Navy blue. Yet others were battleship grey. I bought the yellow ones. We overhauled them and put them to work. We even leased some of them back to the USFS & BLM for forest fire fighting work. It is a strange world sometimes.

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2023 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by CaseyWillys CaseyWillys wrote:

The only other markings are the data plate on the glove box and "US GOVENRMENT FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY" stickers on the doors. 

Are you saying the stickers had "GOVERNMENT" misspelled?

Those are keepers! LOL
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
CaseyWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseyWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2023 at 10:21pm
Yes, I misspelled Government. I am terrible at spelling.  Thanks for pointing that out. Terrible at spelling and always in a hurry. 
CDUB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseyWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2023 at 10:23pm
Do you think the numbers were painted on just for the sale?  
CDUB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseyWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2023 at 10:31pm
I posted these pictures on a antique Forest Service Signs Facebook group and the general consensus was that it is not a forest service vehicle because the door stickers would say forest service. I keep checking the post to see if there is new info. Also posted on Old Willys forum and struck out so far.

I am beginning to  think I need someone who worked for GSA to check this out.

Not giving up.

Thanks guys for your interest
CDUB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2023 at 3:19am
Originally posted by CaseyWillys CaseyWillys wrote:

Do you think the numbers were painted on just for the sale?  

No I don't. They were not "fresh" they had been on the wagons for at least a year, maybe five years or more.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseyWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2023 at 6:38am
Thanks
CDUB
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2023 at 8:44am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

I . What the Navy needed D-8
& D-9 Cats for I have no clue.

Sir, have you ever heard of the US Navy Seabee’s ? , Probably the finest trade school on earth and have turned out some of the best heavy equipment operators I ever worked with as well as tradesmen of every craft, welders/machinist’s/carpenters and mechanics to mention a few. What did they need a D8 for, well my cousin Wilbur Martinson buried thousands of japs on Iwo Jima & Okinawa…

Sorry for the drift 😬 Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2023 at 2:21am
I'll be darned, I did forget about the Seabees. My Marine uncle, who served in Iwo Jima, would whoop me bad for forgetting about them. May he rest in peace.

Tell your cousin Wilbur Martinson thank you from my uncle & I. My uncle had great respect for the Seabees.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2023 at 9:04am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

I'll be darned, I did forget about the Seabees. My Marine uncle, who served in Iwo Jima, would whoop me bad for forgetting about them. May he rest in peace.

Tell your cousin Wilbur Martinson thank you from my uncle & I. My uncle had great respect for the Seabees.

Wilbur passed in 1987, a treasure of war stories went with him 🥲

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply