Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need ID Info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need ID Info
    Posted: 24 Dec. 2008 at 5:01am

Hi Everyone,

Tony here and I recently purchased a 46 CJ2A. Been reading the forum for a while now and while I'm not new to Jeeps, I am new to Flatties. I'm looking for a little help in figuring out just exactly what I have here.
The guy I bought it from told me it's a farm Jeep that the original owner wanted to make look like a military. I foung the Data plate on the left front frame rail and it says it's a
1946 CJ2A #104993. I tried to take a picture but you can hardly make out the number.
The body however doesn't seem to be a CJ2A. The dash doesn't have all the gauge holes, just for the speedometer and the speedometer in the dash can't be original since it's smaller that the hole and goes up to 80 MPH. The other gauges aren't individual gauges, but rather in a rectangular cluster so I'm sure they aren't original either.
The other things that aren't right are the gas tank being mounted in the back, there is no tailgate and the windshield frame is a later style. There's a link to some pictures of the Jeep and the data plates under the hood and on the dash.
I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me.

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2008 at 5:21am
Take a look here for your VIN on the dash:  http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/WOfigures.html

I think your tub may be from a 1959 DJ3A dispatcher jeep, which is a 2WD jeep.
How a 1947  2A Frame got under it is anyone's guess.

Couldn't really make out the instrument cluster on your pictures... it may be a stock Dj cluster.....

More pics and research is definitely in order.

Edited by F Bill - 24 Dec. 2008 at 7:17pm
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2008 at 4:27pm
Tony:
Quote the left front frame rail and it says it's a 1946 CJ2A #104993.
104993 is a mid-'47 number.

Don't know about the body, but certainly not CJ-2A.

Sean
 Post Reply Post Reply