Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need pic of tailgate chain area

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need pic of tailgate chain area
    Posted: 12 Mar. 2022 at 2:07pm
I’m looking for a good pic of the front and back of the area where the tailgate chains hook for the open and closed position.  I’m thinking there is supposed to be a hole for the hook to go thru but the the replacement side/rear panels don’t have the hole. I think there is also supposed to be a reinforcement piece on the back side.  So any and all pics of how the chains work would be great.  
takesiteasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2022 at 4:09pm
There are pics in my build thread- page 3. I used repop panels and had to add the hole and reinforcement piece for the hooks. I copied the original panels from the trailer that were rusted out. I also made the hooks so they may not be 100% accurate to the originals.

Edited by takesiteasy - 13 Mar. 2022 at 4:57pm
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2022 at 8:35pm
Thanks.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2022 at 8:59pm
This is what mine looked like before the chain broke off.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2022 at 7:50am
I've got that same weird chain setup and thought it was just whatever someone had laying around. Was this normal?
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2022 at 11:00am
AFAIK, yes.  There are two different tailgate chains that I know of.  Examples can be seen on the trailer images on Art's website and its documented here too.

tailgate chains, & now a hook question! - The CJ2A Page Forums - Page 1

I was fortunate enough to have one of the two chains still intact to show what it looked like.  The other had been reattached by a PO with a sheet metal screw.  The angled bend is interesting as I believe it helps align the chain with the tailgate in the down position.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply