Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need some help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

"....and smells of gas."
If for any reason the fuel in the cylinder is not being burned, what do you suppose the exhaust will smell like?  BW
C'mon man, give me a LITTLE credit here.....

Pulled the plugs, its burning really rich. Pulled distributor cap and its been switched over to electronic ignition (Pertronix). At this point it has to be the carb? It idles ok, the timing is dead on, brand new plugs set at .030.......five minutes down the road and its sputtering and dying.
1947 CJ-2A Willys
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:03pm
Hey Jeff, the carb looks like its seen better days......Would you recommend a newbie rebuild this Carter, or would be better off sending this one in and getting a fresh rebuilt? I've read a lot of bad things about Solex....is there another alternative for the L-134?
1947 CJ-2A Willys
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:36pm
Get a hold of scoutpilot. He can rebuild your carb to like new condition, then test it on his jeep and send a video of it running and being tested.  he gives a year guarantee. It will be money well spent.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:37pm
Thanks for that....I'll get a hold of him
1947 CJ-2A Willys
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:50pm
I'm still holding out for positive news after you try replacing the condenser.  If weak, you'll have bad spark.  If bad spark, the plugs won't be able to burn the fuel.  Result...bad fuel smell from exhaust.  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

I'm still holding out for positive news after you try replacing the condenser.  If weak, you'll have bad spark.  If bad spark, the plugs won't be able to burn the fuel.  Result...bad fuel smell from exhaust.  
I pulled the distributor cap and it has that pertronix electronic setup....no points or condenser. I fired off an email to scoutpilot, hopefully he'll get back to me when he isnt swamped.... 

Big thunderstorm just rolled in, so I think I'm done for the day.
1947 CJ-2A Willys
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 10:02pm
If it runs fine when first started and will rev up, but after you drive it enough to get it hot, and it begins to not run at high RPM's, but idles fine, I'd think the ignition coil is dropping out. Try another coil. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

If it runs fine when first started and will rev up, but after you drive it enough to get it hot, and it begins to not run at high RPM's, but idles fine, I'd think the ignition coil is dropping out. Try another coil. Oilly
Tried a new coil, no bingo.....if anything it seems to be getting worse. first time test driving it it ran 8 miles fine, second time it started sputtering, and has gotten progressively worse as I've gone....to the point now its idling weak and starts sputtering after 100 yards.....itll fire up if I let it sit for a few minutes...but its bad. 

I used good gas, 87 octane which is the lowest here......could it be the fuel?
1947 CJ-2A Willys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 11:38pm
If you never run out of fuel, and it's not flooding, then I'd still be looking at ignition. A simple test is spray carb clean into the crossover tube when it is malfunctioning. If it's a fuel problem, it will pick up and run. Since I'm old school and run points and condensor, I'm no help with Petronix ignition. John
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:15am
Originally posted by Cinnabear Cinnabear wrote:

Tried a new coil, no bingo.....if anything it seems to be getting worse. first time test driving it it ran 8 miles fine, second time it started sputtering, and has gotten progressively worse as I've gone....to the point now its idling weak and starts sputtering after 100 yards.....itll fire up if I let it sit for a few minutes...but its bad. 

I used good gas, 87 octane which is the lowest here......could it be the fuel?

Pull the top off of the carb and check your float level. It sounds like it may be set too low.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 2:07am
I’m wondering if it could be the float has a pin hole and is filling with fuel. Seems to be getting worse over time. Sounds like it could be running rich. 

Mike
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 3:26am
I had a float with a pin hole.  The float slowly failed.  Got worse with time.  Similar issues.
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 4:08am
Don't know but mine smelled of gas. Actually leaked. Tried to send it to Scout Pilot as a core charge for one of his rebuilt WOs. He convinced me to adjust the float. Sent me videos that were quite useful. Did it. Quit leaking. Works great at all altitudes. You might converse with him. 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 4:38pm

If you never run out of fuel, and it's not flooding, then I'd still be looking at ignition. Since I'm old school and run points and condensor, I'm no help with Petronix ignition. John

I'm with John, I run points, and know little about the Pertronix set-up, except that I don't trust it (that's normal, isn't it? - to distrust things we don't understand?Wink ). Maybe the problem is inside the distributor.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 5:58pm
When the engine starts to run rough/sputter, have you tried shutting it down, then immediately pull the top off the Carter? If so, was the fuel bowl low on fuel, or full?  This step will tell if you have a fuel delivery issues downstream of the carburetor, right up to and including the float needle.

Do you have the old points, condenser and plate?  If so, you could reinstall the old school ignition set-up to troubleshoot past the electronic ignition.  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:55pm
Black plugs = too much fuel, or weak spark. New coil, new plugs gaped right, timing dead on, means you are down to carburetor problems, or bad petronix. What type of fuel pump are you running? Too high a fuel pressure will over ride the primary needle and seat and cause too much fuel.  

Hawkridges's idea of re-installing the point plate, points and condenser would sure help eliminate the petronix as the culprit. Nothing wrong with a petronix . I have one on my MGA. The drawback is if it quits you, you need to carry your old points setup since you won't get petronix parts off the NAPA shelf. Also, if your battery voltage drops below a certain voltage , the petronix quits working. (What's the voltage running and not running?)

Make sure your wiring connections on the back of the amp gauge are tight, and the key switch isn't losing continuity. A flicking amp gauge is a sign of a bad connection. 

You have us wanting to know what is wrong now! LOL
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 12:24am
Long shot here, but is your jeep ‘s gas cap vented?
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:46am
Alright guys....its been awhile, had a lot going on and the Jeep completely died and ended up in a shop.

Long story short, the guy that sold me a "show ready, completely off the frame rebuild" screwed me over pretty good (Don't be a sucker like me and fall for the "I'm in the military, honor...integrity...blah blah blah" crap.  BTW, I'm a retired/disabled veteran, so dont hate on me). 

$2500 later and theres a laundry list......the carb did need rebuilding, but it wasnt the main cause of the issues. The electrical system had been swapped over to 12V....except that it was done poorly and a lot of the 6V stuff was left hooked up....the entire electrical system was fried (Pertronix, coil, alternator, starter) There were several leaks at the transmission and transfer case....and apparently his solution was about 5 gallons of RTV just caked on everywhere, followed by about five coats of paint.  
The paint job, which he claimed was professionally done, really looked good until it got wet.....now the paint is basically running off everywhere ....which is ok cuz its gettin an OD Green paint job.

Anyway, enough whining....I really wanted to stop by and thank all of you wonderful people for taking the time to try and help me sort this out. When I get it back in the morning I'll post some pics, and a proper introduction...and as time and money permits I'll show my progress with my new baby.
1947 CJ-2A Willys
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>