Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need some verification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 3:40pm
The gear drive is the improved version of the engine. It would be from early 47 through 64 when they stopped using the 134L

The ends of the frame can be restored a good welder would be important (as in the person not the equipment)

I personally would advise you to get what you got road safe and trail happy then do a lot of research and learning before attempting any sort of restoration. Yes it would be good to have another early 2A back to stock condition. But should you venture down this path from your starting point. Plan on at least a couple years of work as well as many thousands of dollars. All the time no fun seat time.

You can figure out what you need to restore you can buy up parts and pieces and keep driving your jeep. Buy a couple of sturdy metal shelves to organize and store your parts and when you can find no more to buy THEN start tearing things apart (at which time you will find a couple thousand dollars of more things you need).

That Ford 6cyl is an excellent engine and should you decide to run with it for a while I can send you a list of things you can do to it to greatly improve its performance and economy without ever removing the head. We had one in a 67 Mustang that I got up to 26mpg commuting.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 4:44pm
TJ -- nice looking Willys. If your need them, I may have various parts that could help you out. I am in Palo Alto, but come over the hill to Santa Cruz often as my daughter and my warehouse are over there. Right now my Willys is also in Santa Cruz, as my mechanic is over there.

PM me if I can help out.

Mike
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
TJRad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJRad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 2:07am
thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Mike S, I’m super glad you chimed in here!  I was looking thru your threads the other day looking for picures of your build!  I almost replied to your thread trying to sell super swampers TIL I realized it was from last month... two years ago haha.  If I can get the tranny and brakes cleaned up I’d love to meet up with you in SC sometime, I really like your Jeep!

Mark, thank you for the reality check, I’m not goin down the road of resto anytime soon again.  This is my first Willys or Jeep but I have restored a bunch of cars, and houses for that matter (contractor) so I know all about the rabbit hole lol.  If you want something nice and cheap you should buy it done, am I right? Lol.

Color sanded and Cut the thing today, got all the fluids swapped and have it running off it’s own tank.  A little confused by the clutch and the brakes, haven’t taken pictures but think there is some serious bubba work at play as you guys would say. Anyhow here’s some pics, cleaned up pretty good!
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 2:13am
As you get it sorted out and start driving it, you will find which things it needs now and which can be put off.
1946 CJ2A 14098
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 2:36am
In the back of my mind I remembered there was a Ford OD 4 speed that might fit that 250.
Did a quick search and found the RTS.
Should bolt up to your bell housing.
Very short.
3.25 first gear.
OD 4th gear.
 Uses a shift tower, so if it is close to the right place, it could look original from the top.
Was used in Broncos, so even though it would need an adaptor, it is no stranger to having a transfer case behind it.
Might be worth looking into.
1946 CJ2A 14098
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12