Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new 2a

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new 2a
    Posted: 10 May 2012 at 3:31am
I just picked up a 46 and wanted some advice.  I joined the site awhile back, but haven't really posted much. I guess since I don't know much and didn't have jeep til now (Well I have a m151-a2, not really a jeep!)  I just read alot and learn what I can.  Here are a few pics:
As you can see, the windshield frame and tailgate are incorrect.  I think the windshield is an mb or gpw and the tailgate is from a m38?  What do you guys say?  BTW - thanks to all of you guys for educating thru your dicussions.  Now I can finally join in since I found this sweet little cj !
Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 4:11am
Sweet, welcome to the insanity! what are your numbers?

Sean has a data page that i know he would like your info for.
what are your plans? restore, make it drivable and do it in stages?

what shape is the drive train in?

cheers,

rick
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804
Aggie94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 4:40am
Thanks for the welcome.  It has plates but I couldn't read them in the light then.  It's 81xxx, so late '46?  I will add it to the registry when I get a chance.  My plans are to restore it.  I did one on my mutt, so I know what I'm getting into. ( And I'll do it anyway!)  For now I will just keep it safe whie I finish the addition to our house.  Should be finished with that in a couple of months.  I will use the time till then to research and plan.  My Dad had a '46  and we had fun restoring that about 25 years ago.
He said he's going to have fun watching me spend all the money this time.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 4:46am
That was on Craiglist down in central TX, wasn't it?? I remember that hood. WIndshield is definitely WWII with rifle holder brackets, the inner is correct to use on early 2A's like my 45.... Gate mey be aftermarket or M-38, one of the M -38 guys may be able to tell the difference for ya.  The hood will be a challenge to repair.

Welcome to the addiction!

Edited by F Bill - 10 May 2012 at 4:49am
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 2:38pm
Blue on red - great combo! Here's mine.
It looks like your tailgate is correct M38 style (no logo, reenforcements on the inside for tire and can carriers) and bracket welded to the top round rail for the fuel can strap.  
If you keep the tailgate and hang a tire and can on the back you may want to bolt it shut like they did on the M38.  It makes the body tub a lot tighter.  If you trade the tailgate and windshield out you already know how nutty the military guys are so you will be ahead.  It looks like you also got a pair of military reflectors.  If they say GuideA2 on the metal and Stimsonite on the red you have another score. Have fun.

Edited by Tom in RI - 10 May 2012 at 2:40pm
Aggie94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 3:50pm
Thanks for that info Tom.  I don't know much about the military jeeps other than the m151. I know the .mil guys can be very particular.  I am definately looking to swap them out for the correct ws and tailgate.  I'll be looking in the for sale section here for one to pop up.  I also need seats and rear tow bar.   I would prefer to have originals rather than repros for the tailgate and windshield.
Aggie94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 3:53pm
F Bill - Yes that's the one.  It was only about 10 miles away so I jumped on it.
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 3:58pm
Don't forget to advertise some on the G503 for the windshield & tailgate under the MB/GPW heading and also the M38 heading.
Another M38 site for the tailgate is:  http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/index.php
Good luck - the stuff is out there.
Tom 
 Post Reply Post Reply