Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Bantam project - T3-C SN 21507

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Bantam project - T3-C SN 21507
    Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 5:04pm
I previously bought T3-C #7467, but it wasn't in the best of shape and missing a few parts. I ended up selling it because it was a bit more body work than I wanted to take on.

My good buddy that found the last one found me another on that was in much better shape and insisted I have it before I move to Colorado.

T3-C SN 21507

The first step was getting it unloaded from my truck without ramps or assistance. Luckily, I had some pallets that I stacked up to act like a set of steps.

Overall it was in great shape. Seemed to only be missing the proper tail lights and bump stops. Otherwise, aside from some flaky paint, was complete.

Floor is in great shape.

Underside is solid, but again, flaky paint.

Has a welded axle.

Has the correct hitch

The only two issues I really found with it are the tail lights and bump stops.

These are some "Arkansas overloads" as a good friend put it.

It also does have these mud flaps, which I actually kind of like.

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 5:08pm
After moving from Wisconsin to Colorado, the first order of business was getting it on some new tires. 

I debated for a while what kind I wanted to put on it, whether NDTs or Super Traxions to match my jeep, and ultimately decided to go with the Super Traxions.

Wheels off and ready to get broken down.

Wheels are blasted and ready to get powder coated satin black. New tires, tubes, and flaps came in as well.

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 5:10pm
Next was to address the bump stops.

Someone was kind enough to point out that Army Jeep Parts carries the correct, low profile style to go on trailers. 

I ordered a set of those and tore off the 2x4" ones.

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 5:51pm
[QUOTE=unclemoak]After moving from Wisconsin to Colorado, the first order of business was getting it on some new tires. 

I debated for a while what kind I wanted to put on it, whether NDTs or Super Traxions to match my jeep, and ultimately decided to go with the Super Traxions.

Wheels off and ready to get broken down.

Wheels are blasted and ready to get powder coated satin black. New tires, tubes, and flaps came in as well.

So you're not going to run the groovy white walls?
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

So you're not going to run the groovy white walls?

As cool as they are being Ford branded tires, they need to go.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 8:59pm
Nice trailer!  I chose same tires/wheels as my jeep for spare tire reasons. 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2020 at 3:43pm
In my excitement that my bump stocks came in and I could get them mounted today, I had a brain fart at the hardware store and only bought enough bolts to mount one side.

After looking at the bump stops, I suspect they take a normal jeep set and grind/sand/??? remove the top of the hump to make these look like the lower profile trailer ones.

Factory bolt holes are still there.

3/4" long 5/16" bolts seem to be perfect for the job.

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2020 at 8:23pm
I had planned on cutting jeep bump stops to fit and then I saw that vendor had them already.  Most that I've read, those low profile weren't being made.  You may be right, they do look like maybe they've been cut.  Very clean edge.  The images I've seen the edges appeared more round.  Those look clean and functional.

I've been to the hardware store and left with one fastener short.  It happens.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
takesiteasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2020 at 1:18am
Good job finding the bump stops. I couldn't find them when I was looking. I used the regular Jeep bump stops on my trailer. I was going to cut them down but decided to use them as is. Can't really see them and it's not a museum piece anyway. I don't mind the thicker profile- I figure it's better if the axle actually bottoms out. Does anyone know what the rationale for thinner stops was, besides saving $?

Edited by takesiteasy - 19 Aug. 2020 at 1:20am
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 9:21pm
Got the new tires installed.

Decided to take it for a quick spin around the industrial park.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 10:08pm
Nice looking trailer with cool dancing shoes, too!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2020 at 3:12pm
Are you guys keeping the factory wiring setup or going with a more normal round or flat 4 wire setup?
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2020 at 1:32am
Unk Moak -- what about checking/cleaning/greasing those trailer hub bearings? The Achilles heel of every trailer! Take good care of trailer bearings and your trailer will take care of you...
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2022 at 1:04pm
Checked and greased mine just before our camping trip this week.  The inside didn’t have much grease but bearings still good.  God knows when the last time they were serviced. But 1,000 miles so far with another 600 to go and looking good.  
 Post Reply Post Reply