Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New computer Holy Crap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New computer Holy Crap
    Posted: 13 Oct. 2019 at 9:56pm
So a couple weeks ago I turned on my computer and with a loud SNAP the monitor died. Birthday coming up the wife went nuts and bought me a nice new monitor. I go to hook it up and my computer has no HDMI connection.  So off to Newegg on line to buy a better graphics card. Wait a week it shows up Yea it fits course I have to change my power supply to a more powerful unit to handle it lucky me I have one that will work from and earlier machine.

And now it will not boot up. I have multiple HD's in the machine and none of them will boot up. I try to boot it up from a Thumbdrive I have Windows 10 Home on. No luck.

So today I go to Best buy drop the cost of my two new drive shafts on another machine. So now I have files from 4 machines (my sorted past) to more to the new puter as well as getting all my bookmarks and such set up.

I think I have a new hobby.

And this stupid Key board is slightly smaller so I am constantly over reaching keys.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2019 at 11:41pm
I'm not looking forward to transferring all my files to a Windows 10 computer I have owned for the last two years and can't make myself use. The whole thing is foreign to me and I can't get the damned thing to do what I want it to do about half the time. Windows 7 was such a nice system to operate and was mostly transparent to the user. I have to wrestle the Windows 10 system for every little event. Who knows, maybe I will finally get used to it, but right now I'm dreading it.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Jw60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jw60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2019 at 2:59am
I'm pretty pleased with windows 10 it's office 365 that drives me nuts. I just want to open and type but you have to make editable since it is on the cloud.
Now windows 9 and vista should never have gotten out of the cage.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2019 at 12:52pm
Oh I have been using 10 for a long while since it came out I think. Its just transfering all the files and downloading all the apps and setting everything up like I like. This is my 4th computer since I bought my first in 2000 and two of those if I put new HD's in them will still be working one on XP and the other a Win 10 64 bit machine.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 3:37pm
   OMG _ _ _ Data Storage and retrieval !!

My son, 30yrs old, bought me a new HP Pavilion laptop 3-years ago with Microsoft EDGE.   What I can say that I like about this "edge" is that is performs updates and looks for viruses and stuff as you wish to set the frequency of the updates.
   I have not had ONE virus problem, AND I don't buy any software like Norton anymore because stock firewalls are pretty good today.

What to do with Files and Data ? _ _ put them on a Flashdrive 16 Gig.

I have wondered about this, and transferring files is a PIA.
   So, then, if we are transferring files, where are we transferring them to ?
Are we putting them onto our next new computer, or are we placing them on a separate device (thumb-drive or Flash-drive) for easy retrieval ?

I spent my last 25-years working on a graphics computer and always challenged with the never-ending task of "File-Management" migranes.

Yes, doggonit, I still save files to my laptop out of "convenience" or being "lazy", and each time I do this, I remind myself that I should be placing this data onto a Flash-drive for easy portability. Then too, if my computer crashes so be it.

If you value your files and data, _ _ _ MAKE BACKUPS !!

I don't know much about the "Cloud" but trying to figure out Willy's stuff sometimes putts my brain up in the Clouds where things get Hazy.   hahahaha
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2019 at 5:02pm
Or backup to portable hard drive.  Loads of room on it and harder to misplace than thumb drive
Mike in AZ
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2019 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Jw60 Jw60 wrote:

I'm pretty pleased with windows 10 it's office 365 that drives me nuts. I just want to open and type but you have to make editable since it is on the cloud.
Now windows 9 and vista should never have gotten out of the cage.

jw:
   I have not yet purchased Office 365 because I keep putting off the thought of having to pay an annual FEE.
   Before retiring, I used Microsoft Word and liked using it for reports and such. Currently, I haven't convinced myself that I really do need it anymore.
   The nice thing about WORD is the ability to copy reference text and paste it into a WORD file for easy retrieval at a later date.

The Millennial's grew up in a push-button world, so they have an edge on us.

Len
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2019 at 6:48pm
I usually have 4 to 6 4 TB portable drives with me at all times so I'm not without Jeep data.

Office 365 is evil.
Maybe if you happen to own the one screen size it was optimized for it could work, but what a PITA to work with on a daily basis.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2019 at 4:31am
On the rare occasions that I need it, I use LibreOffice.  It's a free option.

Wow, even ONE 4TB drive is a LOT of Jeep data!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2019 at 5:50am
Never owned a Windows machine, but had to use them during my construction career. In 25 years I've never had any of my Macs let me down.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Post Reply Post Reply