Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New distributor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New distributor
    Posted: 07 Dec. 2021 at 8:49pm
I was curious about the off the shelf distributors that can be gotten from places such as walcks and army jeep parts. They have them in both 12 and 6 volts, but I was wondering if they are worth anything, cause if a particular vendor has one, I'd like to pick it up and swap it in as a band aid while I have my current dizzy sent out. And the swapped in dizzy should in theory be up to par and again in theory, eliminate problems that my current distributor might have

Not a permanent replacement, but I do want to see if the distributor is part of my current issues

Edited by General Eisenhower - 07 Dec. 2021 at 8:50pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2021 at 9:34pm
  I have two of those new distributors in use in friends’ jeeps. Both with points, one on a 12 volt system for 4-5 years now, the other on 6 volts 2-3 years. One of them wore the points rubbing block down and quit on the trail, someone bent the breaker arm to get it adjusted close enough to run. They seem to be working out ok, but make sure there is lube in the rubbing block. Oh, also, one of them, when installed with the oil pump clocked correctly, had the rotor 180* off. 
  Of course I would rather have an original Auto-Lite but these may make a useable temp or spare. 
BW 

It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2021 at 9:36pm
And that's exactly what I need, a usable temp/spare. Itll serve its duty while the autolite is getting all dolled up.

I might by the electronic one for the sake of it
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2021 at 10:31am
I have one on the shelf that I probably won't be using. I bought it several years ago to use on one of my projects but ended up rebuilding an original distributor.

I believe the one I have was made in China, but it looks to be well made. 

I see Walcks lists these for $132. I paid $100 for that one so prices have evidently gone up.

If you want it you can have it for what I paid for it plus shipping. 

These things come complete but I don't trust the points and condensers from China. I have a tune up kit (points, condenser, cap and rotor) from NAPA that were in a box of parts in the back of a Jeep I bought. Don't know how old these are, but are still in the boxes. If you want the distributor I will include these.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2021 at 11:30am
Paul,

A package of distributor and other parts is on the way to you. I put something extra in it you may or may not need, just in time for Christmas.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2021 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Paul,

A package of distributor and other parts is on the way to you. I put something extra in it you may or may not need, just in time for Christmas.

My wife told me its probably coal! LOL
Thank you greatly sir!
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
 Post Reply Post Reply