Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new engines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new engines
    Posted: 25 June 2022 at 3:36pm
Ford model A owners had a big national event here in my town, and related videos have been popping up on YouTube. One that caught my interest was about a manufacturer of new "engine kits" which consist of block, crank and rods. While they were talking up the quality and downplaying the concerns related to their chinese origins, it was mentioned how one of the company partners was also sourcing new Jeep blocks from the same foundry, which apparently has been changed from the first one they used.

All that makes me wonder if the Jeep L-engine blocks have had their initial quality flaws corrected. I don't need one, but it would be nice to know a quality block is available. Anyone have any recent intel?
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 7:24pm
Or rather who is willing to risk being part of the experiment? If there is no concrete proof by a certified/qualified third party that has confirmed quality claims the claims are just that.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 7:47pm
I would much prefer reconditioning an original block than one of those expensive reproductions which from all reports I have read require about as much machine work as it takes to get an old one ready to build. 

Good ones are getting scarce, but I have had no problem finding a few, and have a couple with no cracks down in my barn that I would sell for a fraction of what one of those reproduction blocks cost.  
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2022 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I would much prefer reconditioning an original block than one of those expensive reproductions which from all reports I have read require about as much machine work as it takes to get an old one ready to build. 

Good ones are getting scarce, but I have had no problem finding a few, and have a couple with no cracks down in my barn that I would sell for a fraction of what one of those reproduction blocks cost.  

This has been the consensus and may still hold true. The Model A owners have vehicles about two decades older than our Jeeps though and you can understand why they, at least some of them, would be happy to have new engine parts available. The engineer behind that block says they scanned the outside to exactly replicate an original block and then they made internal improvements. He says the Chinese blocks they are getting from the second foundry are top quality and, if that is true, then it stands to reason Jeep blocks made there should be just as good. Time will tell. Maybe the vendors selling them should try a little harder to inform us of quality status.

I'm certainly not promoting them; I have two original spares myself. But at some point in the future those youngers coming up may have a need and it would nice to think important parts will be available. You certainly can't say that for many other vintage vehicles that guys collect and try to preserve.
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2022 at 10:56am
Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

Ford model A owners had a big national event here in my town, and related videos have been popping up on YouTube. One that caught my interest was about a manufacturer of new "engine kits" which consist of block, crank and rods. While they were talking up the quality and downplaying the concerns related to their chinese origins, it was mentioned how one of the company partners was also sourcing new Jeep blocks from the same foundry, which apparently has been changed from the first one they used.

All that makes me wonder if the Jeep L-engine blocks have had their initial quality flaws corrected. I don't need one, but it would be nice to know a quality block is available. Anyone have any recent intel?

Did the meet have a booth or ? showing the MILLER racing HEADs and its rival? Just curious.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2022 at 11:26am
Originally posted by jeepsterjim jeepsterjim wrote:

Did the meet have a booth or ? showing the MILLER racing HEADs and its rival? Just curious.

I would be surprised if they didn't, but I honestly don't know. I drove Chigger around the parking lot and viewed some nice cars for a little while but didn't go inside to the conference rooms where they met and set up displays.

BTW nearly all the Model A owners I saw smiled and gave thumbs up to my old Willys.
 Post Reply Post Reply