Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new forum...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new forum...
    Posted: 20 July 2005 at 8:30pm
seems like you are getting a little grief about the new board. i think if you simplify it you can satisfy almost everyone. narrow it to "tech", "buy, sell, trade" and "off topic".  only 3 choices would be easier to view and navigate. just a thought.
Johnny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 12:24pm

As I said over at the old board, this is the kind of Message Board I wish I had made for the site.  But there are people who like the old board better.  They say it's easier to find things, since everything is on the same page.

This has some merit.  You only have to scroll down until you see a visited link, and you know that everything above it is new. 

Except you probably haven't read every message, so you'll have to remember where you left off.  And if someone replies to a post that interests you, but was orignally posted months ago, you'd have to remember the OP and then look for it.  With the new board, you can easily see which threads have new posts, and even the oldest thread will 'pop to the top' when it receives a new reply.  That's a nice feature.  Not to mention that you can use smilies , italics, bold, underline, colours, etc.

But what I like most about this style (aside from having new topics and new posts on top) are the categories.  I spend a lot of time at The Straight Dope Message Board.  Here are some of its categories:

General Questions: For getting factual answers to any question you can think of. 

Great Debates: Politics, religion, or any other topic that you want to debate. 

Café Society: Talking about films, books, music, food, etc.

In My Humble Opinion: Sort of a cross between GD and MPSIMS (see below) where people can ask others' opinions about things.

MPSIMS (Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share): What the name says.  Generall chatter about anything.

The BBQ Pit: If you want to flame, do it here.

There are other fora as well, but I don't read them as often as the ones listed.  (BTW, 'list' is another useful feature of this type of board.    )  The point is that if I have a specific question, I can go to the GQ forum.  If I read an interesting book, I can go to Café.  And so on.  It makes it much easier to find a thread in which I'm interested, when they are broken out into categories.  Russ could have made this board with only a single forum.  Then it would be similar to the old board, but with new topics on top.  But I think it would make finding a specific thread more difficult.

I think Russ has done an excellent job.  Let's give the new board a chance.  

Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 3:05pm

I did like the  old board, because it was simple, but it was slow to load. Especially since I just have dial up and not dsl (price I pay for living in the sticks I guess). I think as I get used to this new board, it should get easier, and I believe I might really like it, who knows. Russ, even if we don't all like it I do applaud your efforts , and you know the old saying about being criticized, at least your doing something, which is of course better than nothing. After all, the cj2a page is about jeeps that haven't been made for 57 years. Which goes to say we're all pretty well set in our ways and don't like change. But, just as we give new life to our old jeeps, you've given new life to the page, not bad, just different. Hang in there and keep jeepin'.

Post Reply Post Reply