Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Gladiator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Gladiator
    Posted: 24 July 2019 at 3:47am
I meant to bring this up last week...I have finally seen a new Gladiator on the street.  I didn't see it up close, but it was there.  I was prompted to go to Jeep's website and see what it would take to get one.  I'm not happy with the choices.  Too many extras are needed to get certain things, and I really don't want or need a 4-door pickup.  For instance, the max tow package requires the automatic transmission for a total added cost of $2995.00.  Plus, the only blue they offer is not acceptable to me.  They offer a much more preferable blue on the Wrangler.  Why not the Gladiator?  The full hard doors are also not selling me.  I'll have to pass.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 4:15am
I agree....the concept vehicles (as usual) would have been sooooooo much more desirable. Cry
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 4:26am
Yeah, the 2-door Jeep truck with the 6-foot bed I would jump on, but the 4-door?  Can't quite see it for me.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 2:29pm
I've driven them and they are nice, but I have to agree that a 2 door would be cool. When the Wrangler first came out, I saw the 4 cyl and thought I would want that. Then the pricing came out and 4 cyl is more expensive than the 3.6L. and I believe you can't get a 6 speed with 4 cyl. I'm sure many people were disappointed with that. I think a base (inexpensive) version of the Wrangler and Gladiator would sell like hot cakes, but FCA would probably make less profit per unit and they know that. Nice thing about the Gladiator is it rides and drives nicer than the Wrangler due to the longer wheel base and the 3.6L really is a nice engine.  
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 4:39pm
Well _ _ _ I should have stopped as I drove by the Dodge / Jeep dealer last Friday on my way down off-ramp to a stop sign.
   Proudly displayed to my right was a super-cool (Nice) black with gold wheeled Gladiator pickup out Front.   I wanted to stop and take a photo to post on here just because it really caught my attention, and it looked cool. Believe me, I just don't do Black vehicles, never have, and never will, but I am big into Blue vehicles.   I'm into blue, and why I don't know, but it is my color. This sighting was in the town 30-miles to the south of me. Yes, there was a blue Gladiator too, but it didn't do anything for me either.
That black one reminded me of Arron Tippin in his black challenger or cuda.
My first "guess" of the new Gladiator, is it lacks peppy-power. For the weight of the pickup, it should have 400 torquey horse power available on tap, like a nice running Ford 351 Windsor @ 400hp. Nice.

I couldn't afford a new Gladiator on my retirement budget, so I had better stay out of one.   
   Now, what DID catch my eye was that "smart-red" Chevy Z71 Colorado Bison sitting over on the Chevy-Dealer lot. :) _ _ can't afford it either @ $48k.

So, here I am driving around in my freshly restored '95 Honda Passport.
Old-school machinery for old-school ways. heaven help me.

For me, for all round use, the Dodge Power Wagon is well equipped and would be a serious consideration. Heck, my Passport is so old, I can't even get any trade-in credit for the thing because it is obsolete like me.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 4:55pm
Interesting to see this thread.  I also am seriously looking at a new Wrangler or a Gladiator and have been to several dealers this week checking them out.  First off - none of the sales people at the dealers are actual Jeep guys - I wanted to know about axles, engines, transmissions, limited slip - specifications - what is the difference between the Gradiator, JL and JK- all they do is go to their phones and computers.  I snagged a brochure and found an insert with the specs once I got home. The Price - it is, what it is.  If you are just looking for a new mid size pickup there is a lot out there in the $35k to $60k to put into your spread sheet.  My spread sheet is only Wranglers packages and Gladiator packages but I know it is foolish to not consider the rest.  You can buy a new Expedition for this kind of money.  

Gladiator has a lot in common with the Wrangler packages.   It looks to do well in its off road ability as long wheel base offroad things go, its towing capacity is awesome and it is way cool factor.  The main thing I don't like is the Gladiators is the second seat.  It is too small for a dog crate or to seat adults.   The hunting dog gets wet/muddy in the field and people are big.  I would need to add a cap and perhaps a rack for a canoe.  

The sales guy told me the Gladiators are not flying off the lots and even advanced the idea that - it might just be a loser.  If it is a loser and they end up dropping it (perhaps the yet to be released diesel engine will improve the sales)- The few out there will probably hold their value like my old 2006 Rubicon that barely depreciate as the year passed.

No decision yet - the Gladiator is still in the mix.

Edited by Stev - 24 July 2019 at 4:59pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 5:17pm
Well they've talked about a Jeep truck for YEARS now.....so you know they have gotten feedback and ideas for all those years.....THEN what, (?) they gave the public what they WANTED them to want, not what was probably the general consensus.

You think that Kizer look alike concept would sell......damn right it would!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 6:00pm
I'll beat the dead horse again and give my two cents.  If you could get the gladiator as a two-door with a 4 cylinder and manual with just basics "like trucks used to be" I would buy one.  Whatever happened to keeping a vehicle simple?  I don't mean carbureted with points either I mean just a standard vehicle with roll-up winds etc.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by 67charger 67charger wrote:

I'll beat the dead horse again and give my two cents.  If you could get the gladiator as a two-door with a 4 cylinder and manual with just basics "like trucks used to be" I would buy one.  Whatever happened to keeping a vehicle simple?  I don't mean carbureted with points either I mean just a standard vehicle with roll-up winds etc.

I agree. But automakers make most of their profits from all the upgrade packages and extra goodie add-ons.  Plain-Jane models have minimal profit margins.   No matter what they say, their first priority is always to make as much money as possible.  They don't see much of a profit-making market in plain-Jane models.    
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 7:54pm
If they offered one with the Hemi and 8 speed that could haul more than a garden cart - I"d buy it. I seriously considered one prior to buying my new Ram. But I just wasn't comfortable with the towing numbers. 

Better still - show me a Hemi option with a HD axle option (think 8 lug Dana 60 crate axles currently offered by Dana)

There is a truck I would buy. 

As for all the gizmos - I used to be in the basics only truck mode. Now that I have this loaded Ram, I won't go back. I'm loving the tech they put into these things. But that's just me.....
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 11:08pm
I'm with no fender. I was considering one, but the cost vs towing numbers is just not where I'd like the to be. If it were an extended cab vs a 4 door maybe, and if the towing was a little more maybe...but as it sits, you can buy a ram truck for much less that has way more capacity.

Also I agree with ROC. The gladiator concept was great looking...this...not so much.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 2:42am
I just went and drove the Gladiator (Overland 2020) and the Wrangler (Sahara 2020) back to back at the local dealer.  Hands down the Gladiator was a better ride, better braking, quieter and so on.  It is a mid size truck and there is a market for mid size trucks.  It was good on the highway did not wonder like the Wrangler JL. 

With a reasonable weight open trailer and a CJ2A chained to it, it seems like it would be good to go with trailer brakes for use in the Continental US.  I think, I could figure out how to keep the muddy hunting dog in the back.  Perhaps it gets a cap with a rack.  It would work as a daily driver - Just a little longer than a car and not wide like a full size truck, so parking it would not be a hassle.  I think my wife would drive it more than once - like she did with the 2006 Rubicon.   The narrow width would be good for the old narrow roads and out in the fields and wood lots.

Stev
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 3:22am
I'll wait 15 plus years when I can find one in someone's back yard that has been sitting for 10 years and then I might be able to afford it LOL
Craig M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 11:45pm
If the auto companies keep loading everything with all the extras they are going to lose out on sales I am looking at an older Jeep or Ford truck and putting a modern engine and a straight stick with disc brakes and I think I can do it for a less than a new one would cost, and I don't think it will depreciate as much as a new one.
Snojet slice & dice on the ice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 2:53am
If only Jeep had made the actual Gladiator like the concept vehicle.  I have the RC version from 2006 and if it were the real thing, I would be quite happy with it.  They shoulda done it differently...
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 5:06pm
Feel like I should join another forum for this Gladiator discussion. 

So here is what I have learned recently on the Gladiator deep dive.  In order to get the Max Payload you have to move down  to the Sport S or the Sport with the max tow package to get the payload up  to 1,550 pounds and it requires the automatic transmission.  The Rubicon and the Overland packages - have their max payloads of 1,300 lbs and 1,150 lbs respectively using the manual transmissions packages.   If I use the 10% of the loaded trailer weight as pounds that need to be subtracted from the max payload number, plus a full tank of gas + people and gear - the math drives the choice if you want to tow with a Gladiator.

Here are some numbers:

130 Lbs - for fuel
550 lbs - for 3 people (170 lbs average) and a dog
350 lbs - for gear (loaded Yeti, tools, food, Spare parts, camping gear)

Sport S with Max Tow package at 1,550 payload (-1,030 stuff in the truck) = 520 lbs of tong weight available.
Rubicon package at 1,300 payload (-1,030 stuff in the truck)                     = 270 lbs of tong weight available.
Overland package at 1,150 payload (-1,030 stuff in the truck)                     = 120 lbs of tong weight available.

Now lets look at a CJ2A set up for trail use and a 18 foot trailer 
2,400 lbs  - base vehicle
300 lbs - Trails upgrades and fuel (tires, roll bar, winch)
1,800 lbs - Trailer (steel 18 foot trailer)
--------
4,500 pounds or (10% tong weight = 450 lbs)

So if you want to pull your CJ2A behind the Gladiator you have to buy the Sport truck or the Sport S truck - not Overland or Rubicon packages.

You could go to an aluminum trailer and save perhaps 700 pounds but that would only get you to at tong weight of 3,800 pounds which still puts you in the Sport Truck or the Sport S Gladiator.

edits are updated data / grammar

Edited by Stev - 26 July 2019 at 7:16pm
Stev

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2019 at 3:57am
If the truck is rated to tow 7,500 lbs., isn't it assumed that the tongue weight would be 10% of 7,500?  I've never towed anything more than an aluminum trailer with two Triumph motorcycles on it, and I don't know all the ins and outs of towing so I'm just guessing.

Strangely though, the Sport with the towing package but without the Max Tow package is still rated to tow 7,500 lbs.  You pay $995 for the MT package, but you then have to get the auto tranny for an additional $2K.  I'm not seeing the point of the Max Tow package over the "plain" tow package.   
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2019 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

If the truck is rated to tow 7,500 lbs., isn't it assumed that the tongue weight would be 10% of 7,500?  I've never towed anything more than an aluminum trailer with two Triumph motorcycles on it, and I don't know all the ins and outs of towing so I'm just guessing....

Yes, if the towing capacity is 7,500 lbs the truck will definitely have enough payload capacity to handle the 750 (or so) lbs of tongue weight.

However, that doesn't mean you will be able to load the vehicle with 4 - 5 people and gear for a week and still be able to handle the 750 lb tongue weight.  You need to "budget" the 750 lbs as you figure out how much weight you are putting in it.  So Stev's calculations are a good exercise.

As an example of where that can go, several years ago, when gas prices were jumping up toward $4/gal and I was towing a 3000 lb trailer and carrying 4 - 5 Boy Scouts in my crew cab pickup to Scout campouts I considered getting a minivan to be able to do that and burn less fuel.  My dad had a Honda Odyssey at the time, which was rated to tow 3,500 lbs.  But as I read the owner's manual closer, that rating was with only the driver in the van.  And additional weight added in the van (passengers or cargo) had to be subtracted from the tow rating.  So take away ~700 lbs for the Scouts, and maybe another 150 lbs for gear in the van (the truck always had a LOT more than 150 lbs of gear...) and I'd have been over the tow rating.  So you need to look at the big picture, like Stev is doing.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>