Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Gladiator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2019 at 11:59pm
Are there not trailers or hitches or some other kind of equipment that will allow more towing capacity than 5200 lbs. if there's a half-ton or so in the truck?  The Gladiator is looking weaker and weaker...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2019 at 3:16am
Yes, but it is a mid size truck and you have to make some changes to my numbers above:

Here are some numbers:

130 Lbs - for fuel
340 lbs - for 2 people (170 lbs average)
200 lbs - for gear

Sport S with Max Tow package at 1,550 payload (-670 stuff in the truck) = 880 lbs of tong weight available (truck rating comes into pay so there is a number they don't want you to exceed).
Rubicon package at 1,300 payload (-670  stuff in the truck)                     = 630 lbs of tong weight available.
Overland package at 1,150 payload (-670 stuff in the truck)                     = 480 lbs of tong weight available.

edit - for math

Edited by Stev - 29 July 2019 at 1:28pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2019 at 10:25pm

Picked this up so I will be able to answer some questions about towing in the real world with the Gladiator Sport S with the Max Tow package.
Stev
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2019 at 3:30am
Nice!!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2019 at 4:08am
One thing about the Gladiator is that they all come standard with air conditioning.  Of course, in these days of modern times, who would buy a brand-new vehicle without A/C?
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2019 at 4:57am
Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

Nice!!

+1 Smile
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 1:28pm
Steve post more pics, I have a diesel truck so towing is covered with that, more pics please

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 3:26pm
The dealer is installing a bed cover today - so the dealer still has the truck - Hope to pick it up tonight.  Taking it camping this weekend.

This is a stupid thing that I really like already- it has an old fashion rear view mirror with a manual switch to shift its position for night time driving.  The modern auto adjust ones never work for me.  So that is awesome.

Will post some pictures.
Stev
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 4:51pm
Stev, can you post a pic of the window sticker? Just curious what options are on yours. 
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 5:34pm
Are you going to fold down the windshield? LOL I believe they can do that?
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 10:41pm
Nice looking truck.  I am really looking forward to hearing about the real world towing. That is really the only thing preventing me from buying one. I have an aluminum trailer, but it is heavy duty and weighs in around 1800 lbs. Add the weight of the CJ and my Bantam trailer and I think we have left my area of comfort. I tow with an expedition now, but it has the heavy duty towing package with a maximum of 9000 lbs loaded trailer weight. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 3:17am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

The dealer is installing a bed cover today...

Is that a dealer-installed option?  I thought they came from the factory with those if desired.  Oh, the dealer presumably didn't order it that way, so it is added later I guess. 

What does the extra $3200 over the plain Sport get you?

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 01 Aug. 2019 at 3:22am
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 3:42am
This is the window sticker.  The Truck did not come with a bed cover - this truck was part of the initial launch of the Gladiator, so I asked the dealer to install it.  They took on off of another truck because the one the dealer ordered for me was not in after three days.  The interesting thing about the bed cover is that it is not a locking bed cover as designed.  With the tail gate locked closed you can just lift the back edge of the cover and release the rear cover latches.  It took me a few minutes to figure out how to make it so it was lockable using some 1 inch webbing and two fastex buckles that I use on my CJ2A to secure gear on the trail.  Now it is locked closed and can only be accessed by opening the  gate that is lockable and releasing the buckles.  Of course a determined party can take a mat knife and cut through the cloth bed cover.   The sticker on the drivers side piller says the combined payload capacity is 1,539 pounds.

Edited by Stev - 01 Aug. 2019 at 3:57am
Stev
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 10:45pm
I've said this to many many people. If you are complaining about the 7500lb tow rating on the Gladiator cause you need more tow rating, FCA already makes what you are really looking for: Ram Cummins. To tow a flatty, sure. But I see all kinds of people constantly complaining they can't tow their 10,000lb trailer with one. Even if you could it would be a gutless turd. Personally I'll stick to my Cummins for most my towing needs or the wife's Audi Q7 TDI for short trips with the flatty.
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2019 at 5:17pm
I think you are missing the point, or maybe I am missing your point. A Ram Cummins is not a Jeep. I think a lot of us have tow vehicles, but it would be cool to have a tow vehicle that was a Jeep.
Plus, we are not complaining, we are discussing.Cool
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2019 at 6:41pm
100% not missing the point. It's the same "discussing"(read: complaining) that is going on about the diesel version. How come the tow rating isn't more on the diesel?! Well it's not the motor that's limiting the towing capacity, it's the chassis. Sorry but you can't tow big with a "D44" M210 rear axle. What is seems everyone wants is essentially a Ram Cummins with a Jeep body. That's what it comes down to. And even if they made that, people would still say "oh well I won't buy one cause why did they do ______". If that's what you really want, build it, or even in most cases, buy it overseas and ship it over. All the JK/JL crowd that oh so wanted a diesel version so bad? They are everywhere overseas. You want one? There it is, buy it and send it on over. For well over a decade people have been saying "They need to make a Jeep pickup". Then as soon as they do, along came the excuses. The tow rating isn't more for the diesel, I want a single cab, I want an extra cab, I want a bigger bed, why doesn't it come stock with Dana 60s, and on and on and on.
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2019 at 6:46pm
It would be cool if Jeep would make a "heavy" gladiator like they did back then, a J200 or 2000 which acted more like a 3/4 ton pickup.  Since its pretty much based off a Jeep frame, that will probably never happen.  Also they don't want to cut into Dodge........um........ I mean Ram large truck sales Wink.
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2019 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by 67charger 67charger wrote:

It would be cool if Jeep would make a "heavy" gladiator like they did back then, a J200 or 2000 which acted more like a 3/4 ton pickup.  Since its pretty much based off a Jeep frame, that will probably never happen.  Also they don't want to cut into Dodge........um........ I mean Ram large truck sales Wink.

Yes, but therein is the gotcha.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>