Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Gladiator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2019 at 7:25pm
Company propaganda picture.....

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2019 at 9:52pm
That's blasphemy, that jeep has taken away dodge truck........I mean ram truck sales.  I have always wanted a ram from ram hah.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 1:05am
Originally posted by 67charger 67charger wrote:

Since its pretty much based off a Jeep frame...

Everything I've read says it's NOT a Jeep frame, it's an actual "truck" frame. 

For me, what it all boils down to is...I just don't need a truck and I couldn't afford it anyway.  Pipe dreams.............
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

For me, what it all boils down to is...I just don't need a truck and I couldn't afford it anyway.  Pipe dreams.............

This is my understanding as well. I crawled under a couple and was pretty impressed with the frame beefiness. Granted it's not on par with the 2500 Diesel I used to own. But it's pretty on par with my current 1500. I wouldn't hesitate to work it like a rented mule. 

The damn thing just needs a V8.....
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 2:41pm
I took the Gladiator out to do some field work (chainsawing and brush clearing) and campsite clean up  this weekend.  Here are a few ramblings: Had it in 4 wheel high - the shift lever is stiff and moves only with a lot of force.  Got the first stick scratch on the clear coat, mud of the floor mats, dog hair on the seats and some mud in the wheel wells- so that is out of the way.   Bed side height is nice for side loading.  My bird dog must be getting fat because he could not jump up in to the bed like he can in the TJ.  The bed coating is nice - no worries about scratching it up - more bed anchors would be nice.  The  truck has pretty sensitive brakes - it takes very little pedal to get it to stop with 500 pounds in it. There is not designated place for glasses storage.  I am still figuring out the touch screen as well as pairing the phone.  We did take the front top panels off of the roof - super easy to remove.  No dead foot to rest you left foot when driving.  Sits high, easy to park, back up camera is nice, love the manual day/night manual adjust rear mirror.  Quiet on the road. The under and behind the rear seat storage is really nice.  Front windshield angle is pretty flat so bug strikes are more like bug explosion  - they don't seem to pass over with the slip stream of air.

Drove it to work and got cut off by two cars, so it looks like something the crazy's identify as an easy vehicle to jam in front of.  The insurance price was actually reasonable.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 10:17pm
Interesting reading here.

As I read through the ramblings it made me think why isn't there a Power-Wagon package for the new Gladiator: nice perky V-8.

We all know that it takes a certain amount of fuel to move and item quicker which means that there is no-way the V-8 could match a V-6 in Miles per Gallon, but for the increase in towing capacity that the V-8 would give, the offset cost of more fuel is the Big-Smile from the V-8 power on tap.
    Just rambling _ _ _

Stev,   you got it !
And what a price to pay for that manual adjust rear-view-mirror !
I wonder what AEV would charge to add a V-8 to the base model $33k version ?

Remember the Gm H-3 ?   it no sooner got the V-8 package and was discontinued.

We're doomed either way.   it is like buying and rv or a boat - what fits the needs of the buyer because there is no One-size-fits-all.

And, Steve, thanks for the reminder numbers of tongue weight and payload distribution.   Good heavens I saw a guy driving a Ford Echo pulling a 26-foot camp trailer the other day.   He was Bold.

What to do:   punt, pass or kick. :)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

As I read through the ramblings it made me think why isn't there a Power-Wagon package for the new Gladiator: nice perky V-8.

The more they make it like a Dodge the less Dodges they sell .

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 10:51pm
They should have explored / updated the straight six....those were great engines.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 11:23pm
I'm with you, well not with you, but agree on the truck. I was tempted to buy a new Gladiator, went to the local dealer when they called me, but it was 10K more then I specd it out. Went and bought my new 2019 LD instead. Towing just was not there, not that I tow much. Just didn't make sense for now. Maybe a 2 door version later.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 11:24pm
This.
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

This is my understanding as well. I crawled under a couple and was pretty impressed with the frame beefiness. Granted it's not on par with the 2500 Diesel I used to own. But it's pretty on par with my current 1500. I wouldn't hesitate to work it like a rented mule. 

The damn thing just needs a V8.....
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2019 at 2:59am
Update after the first month of driving the 2020 Gladiator.  Logged about 2,400 miles so far.  Taken it on a long trip and local driving.  

It really rides nice on the road.  Not much road noise and a smooth ride.  Have had it in 4-wheel drive a few times - once because it was stuck when parked on a wet grassy hill.   19mpg city and about 22mpg on the road (few times got 25mpg). 

Still have not towed the Cj2A on a trailer with it - that will come in the next month or so.

Broke the rear seat locking feature the first time it put the key in it.  Stupid plastic barrel on the seat lock.  The rest of the truck is good to go.

More later.

Stev
Stev
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2019 at 3:10am
Greg Gardner (greg@rme here on the page) who runs rme4x4.com bought one and has a pretty good thread going on it on his forum. He just had his cj2a and trailer hitched on for a test drive. Check it out here.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2019 at 5:30pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2019 at 7:34pm
Ahh, a Jeep that can pole vault.....not a good option.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 2:19am

So far so good no drive shaft issues.  I have put 3,000 miles on the Gladiator.  Here is a photo of it flat towing the 1946 CJ2A.
Everything ran smooth. 
Stev
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 3:48am
Lookin' Good!  Clap
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2019 at 4:21pm
Gladiator pulling a CJ2A on a 16 foot trailer.  Pulling it on relatively level ground it got about 16 MPG on the highway.  Pulling the trailer without the CJ2A it gets about 19 MPG on the highway.  Just the Gladiator on the highway it is getting about 24 MPG.

Stev
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2019 at 9:39pm
Geeze,
   16 mpg trailering on level ground is doable.

Good heavens, I've flat-towed my CJ-7 for 35 years, no trailer. :(

My wife's 2007 Chevy 2500 Suburban with 3:73 gearing gets 16 mpg highway without towing anything. thirsty critter, but I like the 6.0 liter engine.

In my new issue of FOUR-WHEELER there is a cool Gladiator on the Skyjacker page-ad. And then AEV just had a few in the 2019 SEMA show in Las Vegas.

Thanks for the field-trial reports !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>