Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New guy question on L134 prices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guy question on L134 prices
    Posted: 16 Jan. 2023 at 10:49pm
What is the price range and demand for a running L134? 

I'm looking to do a diesel convserion that would make the L134 engine surplus for my purposes and was wondering what their pricepoint is for budgeting purposes. I purchased the 48 lefty in October, Idaho. The previous owner reported having it rebuilt when he did a trail level restoration. It indicated it was bored over .10 and it has been a garage monument for a while, tags expired in 2005. Starts right up and runs great. No clue on actual milage and haven't done a compression test yet. Will be bascially a complete assembly flywheel forward and ready to drop in...6 Volt.

Thanks 
1948 cj2a Lefty "da' Mule"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2023 at 11:11pm
I always consider an unknown engine to be a "core" until I can hear it run. Unless I know the person who rebuilt it I won't trust what someone says was done.

A confirmed good rebuilt engine is worth some money, but a "core" is worth a lot less. 

If you really want to sell it you need to do a compression test at the very least. 

I personally would not buy such and engine based on third party claims unless I could see the results of a compression test, and verify it is only bored .010 over which is unusual for these things. That verification would involve pulling the head and a close visual inspection. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
James K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2023 at 11:34pm
Seems reasonable, so do the planned compression test and locate a buyer before pulling the motor if possible so the buyer can evaluate it in vehicle? Barring that, condition it for long term storage and hold on to it for the neighbor incase his L134 gives out down the road. Otherwise too many unknowns to be worth much on the open market. Great info. 
1948 cj2a Lefty "da' Mule"
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 11:33am
Originally posted by James K James K wrote:

Barring that, condition it for long term storage and hold on to it for the neighbor incase his L134 gives out down the road. Otherwise too many unknowns to be worth much on the open market. Great info. 

They don't usually "give out".  They just become much more proficient at mosquito abatement.  I think you would get a better price having it running in the Willys if the time frame works.  That said, in person inspection limits the number of potential buyers.  But it may double the price you can get.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
 Post Reply Post Reply