Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Guy... With a 47 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Guy... With a 47 CJ2A
    Posted: 27 May 2020 at 3:42pm
New to the forum but looking forward to sharing mine and my 13 year old son's build of our CJ2A. We drove up to Brevard, NC to get it last friday and already have it torn down to the frame. Sadly a few things are missing and the tub is of course toast. Oh well they can't all be perfect. I plan to post pics and of course ask a few questions as we move along on the build. I was a ford technician (Transmissions mainly) so the work doesn't scare me, just the $$ it will take. TongueTongue We live in South Ga. (Ocilla) if anyone knows where that is.  Anyway, I hope this finds you all safe and happy!! 

Thanks in advance, Tim. 
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 3:47pm
Tim - Welcome to The 2A Page!  Congratulations on the 1947.

What are your plans - Stock rebuild, Stocker Locker for trails, Superstock, Monster Truck?
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
TimM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 4:05pm
I'm not going back totally stock but will prolly use the L4 for now. Unless i find it has issues.  Thanks
Brian3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 4:51pm
Do you have any "before" pictures? It's always great to see your progress right from the beginning.
I wish people would quit hittin' me on the head. MQ
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 5:08pm
Georgia is a big state. I am close to North Georgia (area code 37308).

It is a fairly long trip between us, but a guy from further away drove up last Summer for a CJ2A body I wanted gone.

I just bought two more CJ2A Jeeps, and I have a lot of extra parts I won't be using in my project. If you need something feel free to send me an email (PM from this site). 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 5:33pm
Welcome, Tim Thumbs Up

Love the father/son(/daughter) builds Smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
TimM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Brian3 Brian3 wrote:

Do you have any "before" pictures? It's always great to see your progress right from the beginning.

Yes i will try to post them soon.
TimM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 5:53pm
My jeep is numbers matching. The tub floor is toast. Is it better to repair all of it or buy the tub in ya'lls opinion. Also are there cheaper places for parts other than Kaiser? Lord they high..
TimM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 5:54pm
I know i need a starter for an L4 for sure. Old owner couldn't locate it. 
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 6:10pm
Welcome to the forum from another GA resident in Newnan.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 6:15pm
If the rest of the tub is not too bad, I would replace the floor pan rather than buying a reproduction tub.

An air chisel and MIG welder are my tools of choice for replacing a floor pan, and while you can fabricate your own repair panels, it is worth the price to buy preformed ones with the hat channels in place.

If there is more damage than you feel up to tackling on the old tub, the reproduction tubs they make now are pretty good. If you decide to go this route shop around some as prices vary and I think all of these reproduction tubs are made by the same manufacturer. Don't pay extra for the supposedly fitted tubs on the market, a 70 year old frame has contorted enough you will still need to do some fitting yourself.

Post Reply Post Reply