Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New here... howdy!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New here... howdy!
    Posted: 07 Feb. 2009 at 4:19am
Hello from Alaska!
Have been "lurking" here ... and recently purchased a '46 titled (actually a '48 according to the serial number: 175335) CJ2A.
I bought it via EBay.... yes I paid too much.... then I had it shipped to Anchorage.... which only added to financial woes!  All that said... I'm happy with the deal, for the most part.  As it turns out, the steering is nasty and a couple of the wheels "wobble" according to my buddy who followed me home from the shipping port.  (10 deg F with no top (included, but boxed for shipping) and a 7 mile drive -partly through downtown Anchorage rush hour- on glare ice in a vehicle I'd never driven before..... Lol, I sure did get a lot of waves from folks! .... even managed to slide through one red light!)
The Jeep was advertised as "18,000 original miles" .... and I believe it.  No rust anywhere, very original paint underneath and on the firewall (obvious and beautiful body repaint and advertised as such), seat covers,  quiet gears, etc.
Am in the process of dealing with the steering.  Bought new tie-rods, bell crank parts etc. and hopefully when the weather warms up (at least in my garage) I will deal with this.
My big question is this:  the tires need to be replaced.My problem is that here in Alaska, the cost of shipping some NDT tires is out of the question...  I want to get some new rims and tubeless tires.  So... am curious as to what would be a good tire/rim combination.  Don't want anything wide or outrageous.... just looking for suggestions.  Any comments would be appreciated.
Sorry for the long post! 
Thanks in advance.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2009 at 5:02am
Welcome from another new guy and you have a very nice jeep. 
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2009 at 9:56am
Welcome ....I remember that one on e-bay ...sure is pretty...I'll bet is was cold driving through Anchorage without a top   Big smile

Edited by hillbilly21 - 07 Feb. 2009 at 10:00am
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2009 at 12:48pm
Welcome from the State were are Governors make our license plates (Illinois)!
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2009 at 1:31pm
Welcome from Kentucky, and that is a very nice looking jeep!
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2009 at 2:34pm
I think "New Guy" is a mythical character who just post on this site from time to time to break our hearts (or eat them up with envy) when they post pics of their pristine Willys "finds".  To top it off its Luzon Red.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
CJ2aAl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2aAl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2009 at 7:03pm
Welcome! Very nice Jeep,..from New Jersey.
That Luzon Red sure looks sweet.

Edited by CJ2aAl - 07 Feb. 2009 at 7:05pm
1948 CJ2a #196169

1995 YJ
1997 ZJ
2001 WJ
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2009 at 7:16pm
If you want to change tires go to the local tire and wheel shop and see what they have in stock that will fit.   That way no shipping and if they are not right then easy return.

By the way welcome to the sight

Edited by p3ferris - 07 Feb. 2009 at 7:17pm
Ed
cj2a lefty
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2009 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by AlaskaJack AlaskaJack wrote:

. . . . As it turns out, the steering is nasty and a couple of the wheels "wobble" according to my buddy who followed me home from the shipping port.  (10 deg F with no top (included, but boxed for shipping) and a 7 mile drive -partly through downtown Anchorage rush hour- on glare ice in a vehicle I'd never driven before..... Lol, I sure did get a lot of waves from folks! .... even managed to slide through one red light!)
Welcome from me as well!.

That is a very nice looking 2A.   It certainly does sound like an adventure getting it home from the port. 

I like the NDTs, though not on ice!  Hope you find some tires you like locally.

Why are you interested in tubeless tires?  It seems to me that tubes are a minor detail in the scheme of things.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2009 at 9:06pm
Welcome from "the South"! (Nice name too, by the way! <g>)

That is a beautiful Jeep, and you are to be congratulated for having gotten it! You aren't likely to regret it. I'm with Sam in questioning why you'd want to go with tubeless tires? Other than the fact that most "modern" tires are tubeless, I see very little disadvantage to staying stock...and BTW, if those rims are original paint, that would be "Universal Beige", and a color that no one, to date, seems to have come up with a paint code for. You might consider trying, at some point, to get a local paint shop to work out an accurate color code, so that others might be able to duplicate it in the future.

Again, welcome to the Page!

Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
AlaskaJack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2009 at 10:18pm
Thanks for the warm welcome!  Yes it was a cold ride across town.... you'd think after 43 winters up here I'd be use to it, but I seem to be more effected by the cold with each passing year!

As for the tire and rim situation.  The rims are repaint and two of them are slightly bent...  I have located some stock rims so may stay with them, although trying to match two replacements to the color of the ones I have may be problematic.  Am going to research getting some NDT tires shipped up here ... as I would prefer them over any other tires.  I've already spent so much $ that a bit more won't hurt! (groan)
Was just thinking of the convenience of tubeless tires... 
I don't plan on "winter driving" so the NDT's on ice shouldn't be an issue.
Anyway, lots of plans to make and change before spring comes around!

woody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2009 at 11:35pm
Wecome from Missouri . I'm sticking with the ndt's also.No  other tires look quite right on a Willy's.
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2009 at 12:30am
Jack, I haven't been to Alaska for over 30 years so I'm not aware of what tire suppliers you have. When I got my NDT's, I bought them at the local Discount Tire. They got them from Coker tire. the interesting part of it was I got them cheaper than if I had bought directly from Coker, and the shipping was half as much. (I could have gotten the shipping for free if I wanted to wait for their normal delivery schedule). You might investigate that avenue. I don't know if Discount is in Alaska, but there might be another tire store that can order from them.  Oh, almost forgot my manners.Embarrassed, Welcome. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2009 at 6:09am
Welcome from... ALASKA! There are a few of us flat fender enthusiasts in southcentral AK, I'm near Eagle River.  I remember my first encounter with ice on a set of knobby's like yours, something akin to ice skating! We will get you squared away with some decent winter tires. I'll send you my phone number via PM
Jonesy

1951 CJ3A

1948 Willys Pickup

1954 Willys Pickup

1947 Bantam BT3-C Trailer
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2009 at 3:25pm

Let me at my Welcome to the list!  Glad to have you on the forum.  And I too, think you have a beautiful jeep there!  I'll echo what bkreutz posted, check your local tire dealers to see if any of them can get a set of Coker NDTs for you.  I'll bet that they can, if you give them time for delivery. 

I had my Blue Mule with me when I was stationed at Ft. Rich in the late 70's.  We used to ride up toward Matanuska Glacier, and over Burma Road along the Little Susitna River.  Great rides!!

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
AlaskaCJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2009 at 1:24am
Welcome, from another Alaskan '48 owner.  I had decided that I wanted NDT's for my restoration - had 5 of them shipped up from Coker's (Firestone 700-15 Military NDCC's) via  American Tire on the Old Seward Hwy - with mount, balance, and tubes it set me back $947.  Alot of dough yes, but man do they look sweet.  Turned out to be a lot less having American Tire order them for me - Coker's shipping estimate was outrageous!  Good luck, and damn fine jeep!

Tony
48 CJ2A 212561
President, Alaska chapter of the IFFC

AlaskaJack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2009 at 2:51am
Hey gents,  thanks for all the kind words and suggestions.  Thanks for the info Tony.... looks like I'd best start saving my pennies!  I expect 600x16's might be about ten bucks cheaper off the total!  Perhaps I should wait 'till the economy goes farther down the drain....maybe the prices will drop.. Ermm
Jack

'48 CJ2A #175335 - Luzon Red
'05 Rubicon Unlimited - Green
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2009 at 3:05am
Welcome to the boards. And nice ride!
1946 #27869

Take a look at my webpage:

<a href="http://wyowillys46.awardspace.com">Wyowillys46</a>
 Post Reply Post Reply