Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Home for an Original Body

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Home for an Original Body
    Posted: 21 June 2021 at 10:42am
I have a 1946 CJ2A (46877) and have been working on a total restoration with my dad for the last 8 months or so.  He bought the Jeep when I was 9 and it is a member of our family with endless memories.

For many reasons, I do not have the time or skill to restore the body, and would like to make sure it lives on, if possible.  The tub number is 36182.

I hate to separate the body from the frame, but I simply don't have the skill, money, or time to make sure it has the best chance to ride on a frame again.  If I were retired, or just had a decent place to take my time with it, I might give it a shot.  But I have ordered a new tub and will use my original grill, hood and windshield.  Everything else will be refurbished, rebuilt, or replaced if it is too far gone.

I would consider donating this body for the cause to someone that would take the time it needs to be rebuilt.  My untrained eyes see a lot of corrosion and rot, but I have since seen many videos where people start with much worse and put it all back together.

Here are a few pictures.  I have many more pictures if needed.

oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 8:08pm
Ha... you should see the body on my parts jeep. It sat near a rice field in the eastern coastal region of Texas, now it's truly rusty beyond repair. Yours doesn't look too bad at all to me but I totally get where you're coming from. I hope someone gets it and restores it, it looks to be fine lettuce for a jeep salad project.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 9:41pm
Looks better than mine!
 I'm just hoping the body stays on the frame once I get this old beater going (& stopping) under it's own power.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 9:12am
My advice is don't get rid of the body yet. I've seen so many projects where they sold the body because they didn't think It was that good, then got in over there head and sold the rest or didn't finish it.  Get the mechanicals done, hold on to the body. That one looks in decent shape.  needs a real cleaning and a set of new hat channels on the underside, maybe a few patches.  Go for the old patina look.
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 9:46am
Originally posted by windyhill windyhill wrote:

My advice is don't get rid of the body yet. I've seen so many projects where they sold the body because they didn't think It was that good, then got in over there head and sold the rest or didn't finish it.  Get the mechanicals done, hold on to the body. That one looks in decent shape.  needs a real cleaning and a set of new hat channels on the underside, maybe a few patches.  Go for the old patina look.

X2
I agree w/ windyhill. That body is very salvageable & hard to find in that repairable condition. If you decide to go with a replacement save the tub until you are completed with your restoration & driving down the road or you may be disappointed that you did not have it for reference or small items you may have overlooked!
Good Luck!   
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 10:02am
X3!!!

3-48s is right!

Even if you go the repop body route, the old body is a valuable resource for original details and measurements that aren't on the repop body. The only downside is that you would have to find somewhere to store it out of the way. After you are finished with your project, then make the same offer and I would bet someone would snap it up pronto...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 10:47am
Thanks everyone.  Good advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply