Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New in Washington state

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 3:21am
Yeah, the license plate mounting slots should be up and on the passenger side.  However, for that frame, the front bumper is supposed to be riveted on, or so I have read.  It's your Jeep, do what works for you.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 5:40am
I have the same bumper on my CJ3B. It came off of a CJ5 and upside-down is the only way it fits the B.LOL   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 6:00am
right now I have a lot of things to fix
New exhaust gets here tomorrow then
1. The engine
2. Trans & TC
3. Both axles
4. Drive shafts
5. Tires
Then drive it.  A lot
I think I'll just mount the license plate by the lower holes and call it good.

Oh and the Harrison heaters I found I'm PA will be here next week ( I believe I am now officially a patron of UPS).  And winters coming.   
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 6:02am
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

right now I have a lot of things to fix
New exhaust gets here tomorrow then
1. The engine
2. Trans & TC
3. Both axles
4. Drive shafts
5. Tires
Then drive it.  A lot
I think I'll just mount the license plate by the lower holes and call it good.

Oh and the Harrison heaters I found in PA will be here next week ( I believe I am now officially a patron of UPS).  And winters coming.   
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 5:32pm

Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 5:36pm
gonna get this on the engine stand today and pull it apart. If things check out it will go in 
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 5:55pm
  Good luck, I just installed  a M38 in my 47 that was supposed to be a good motor to find out that is leaks oil at the rear main seal and smokes.  Used about a pint  of oil in 25 miles. I am going to run it until I put a new crank shaft in the motor I took out. I should have at least changed the rear seal before I changed motors.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 11:28pm
Sorry to hear that but that’s why this one is coming apart. I have enough trouble finding time to work on the Jeep. Doing things twice takes to long. It was supposed to have been rebuilt 20 years ago and was never used. Looking at the bores that seems to be the case. However, siting in a garage for that long hasn’t done it any good. As well I imagine any assembly line used would have dried up by now. Becoming lord knows what. Not to mention the seals. 

Edited by Mike F - 08 Sep. 2018 at 11:36pm
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2018 at 4:27am
got the pan off now I know what 20+ year old oil becomes. Pressure plate was BW rebuilt, clutch plate was new, flywheel was new. They got enough moisture over the years to bloom rust pretty good. Clutch plate was rust bonded to the flywheel. They might clean up. Lower cylinders, cam, and valves look new. I’ll pull some caps tomorrow and look at the crank journals. If they look good I’ll check bearing clearancesand put it back together.

What are thoughts on hardened valve seats and springs that have been compressed for a long time. 
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2018 at 6:07am
Just keep going, you know I will be reading what you post.
uncamonkey
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2018 at 2:39am
I was a little concerned when I started.  I was taking out dirty bolts that had been painted
Then when I took the timing cover off. Notice anything missing.

But in the end things look pretty good

The crankshaft has a pretty good polish

Except where the seal runs looks like the seal and shaft bonded during their time together. and the cylinders will clean up

Got some cleaning to do, run a hone down the cylinders, wait for some parts, and put this thing back together.  Looks like it'll make a decent motor.
Gotta figure out how to get the green paint off.  No reason to have an ugly green motor.  If it was OD I'd leave it.  
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2018 at 2:56am
I am a little concerned about the rods.

The ones on the left look a little pitted
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2018 at 3:03am
I looked at the bumper and yes you are right it’s upside down. The frame has one hole on top and two on the bottom. So does the bumper. If you turn it over. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2018 at 2:04am
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

Notice anything missing.

Something to hold the cam gear on, maybe?
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2018 at 5:05am
yea I didn’t think they were optional
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2018 at 3:59am
Well since my last post I’ve installed my pre-torn and professionally repaired Kayline soft top. Went alright would have been better with the right parts and instructions. I still need to figure out the straps. Snap kit came today so I can make them up. 

And I’ve been working on the replacement motor. I’ve got the large parts cleaned up. Got through my questioning on balancing. Lightly honed the cylinders. Did a little polishing on the crank and cam.
And I figured out that I need to turn the phone sideways to get the picture to come out right. Tonight I set the crank in the new bearings with some plasigage. Gage says I have .002 clearance .001 radially book says .0003 to .0029. So if I’m reading things right. I’m good to go. 

Tomorrow I’ll balance the rods (should be able to bring them to within a gram. Check ring gaps and clearances and they are ready to go in. New valve springs get here tomorrow. Sunday I should be able to get most if not all of this put back together. I guess that’s if USPS can get the camshaft washer here from Yuma AZ in time. I was checking on shipping the motor nofender has for sale when I found one. Then Lee(MN) offered one up thanks again Lee

MDF
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2018 at 4:36am
Does your Kayline top have the snaps on the front top bow so you can unzip the back window and snap it to the bow rather than rolling it up?
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2018 at 5:43am
I think so. Is that what those are for. Just went out in the dark to check. Yep they are there. Also has straps to roll it ip

Edited by Mike F - 29 Sep. 2018 at 5:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>