Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New MC - Rod too long?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New MC - Rod too long?
    Posted: 26 Apr. 2018 at 2:33am
All,

Strange thing happened today.  Replaced the master cylinder in the CJ2A.  Confirmed it's the correct one with the bolts and such.  Did all the regular procedures.

Brakes were tight (wheels could move, but with effort).  Also noticed little play in the brake pedal.  So we made all the adjustments to the drums with no joy.  

Finally pull the push rod off the pedal, check a few things out and it looks like the push rod is about 1/4" too long (and yes it's adjusted all the way down threading)

I just picked the CJ last week and no idea what or how the previous owner did things.  He does show a brake job completed in 2012 - Drums, Pads, Cylinders, MC, Park Brake Band.  The car essentially sat for the past 6 year after that work was done.

Before my mechanic and I shorten this push rod, rethread, etc.,  I want to make sure we're not missing something.

He's an excellent mechanic and knows his stuff.  I've worked with many a good mechanic and can tell the difference IMHO.

Read all the threads.  Am we missing something?

Thank you,

-Thomas

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2018 at 3:11am
There are different MCs and different push rods.  Early and late 2As and the 3A MC is similar, but also different.  Any mismatched combination might cause this problem.   I don't think shortening the push rod will hurt anything.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2018 at 3:29am
That's what I was thinking.  I looked it up and there are at least 4 different push rods available for various Willys.  They all look the same, so I'm thinking they are different lengths.  I wasn't able to get detailed specs on them.

I suspect these guys replaced the rod with a truck or jeepster version (makes sense they'd be longer).  The nut was already as far back as they could get it.  Someone probably swapped out the rod at some point and never noticed anything other than their brakes were always honked.

Just a guess.

We'll do the cut and thread and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply