Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

------- 1947 CJ2A "Rat patrol" ----------

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2019 at 6:26pm
Much joy seeing this last photo. I've had that opinion myself, more than once. But, once out on the trail, all will be good! Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2019 at 6:42pm
Yup, waved that a couple of times rebuilding Ol' Snakeskin this past winter in a pretty doggone cold barn in Central PA! Runs pretty well now though; a few last things to do, then on to a T3C and M38 restore this winter. Glutton for punishment comes with the Willys Disease I guess enjoying it though. These rigs are fun when they cooperate!
Will be the rig of choice during hunting season in a week or so!
John
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2019 at 1:31pm
Question - what is the best spot to place the jack to lift engine to remove the motor mounts?
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2019 at 1:45pm
I lifted mine with a ceiling hoist. Made for more room underneath and around the engine to work. Highly recommend removing the fenders and grill to give elbow room; you won't regret it at all!
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2019 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

Question - what is the best spot to place the jack to lift engine to remove the motor mounts?

Under oil pan. Put a 2x6 or similar block spanning the edge of the oil pan to distribute the weight.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2019 at 3:00pm
Thanks all!
  Yes, removing the fenders, grill, & radiator helps immensely when working on the engine.
 ALL of the bolts fought me on teardown, broke a couple but fortunately these were on hole-thru fasteners & I was able to get the broken off portion removed cleanly. Ran a thread chaser thru all holes, & am replacing all bolts, nuts, washers with new, & am planning on coating all with a liberal smear of anti-seize upon re-assembly.  Will make taking it apart MUCH easier next go around.

I appreciate the input.

Mike

Edited by dasvis - 26 Nov. 2019 at 3:06pm
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2019 at 6:39pm
Been through mine once now and am enjoying doing upgrades to brakes and the like. Wish I was tough enough to own a 2nd, 3rd ,4th one like so many on this forum. Kinda miss the satisfaction of all the small wins that comes with an old project. looking forward to updates on yours.
Phil  
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2019 at 12:09am
I always recommend using stainless bolts/nuts (and anti-seize) wherever possible.  Especially in Oregon or any other rainy place.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2019 at 12:36am
Thought about stainless, but I will be long gone before rusted bolts will be an issue. Fresh plated steel fasteners with antisieze will be fine for my needs. 
  Too cold to get much forward progress on the Willys. 
Need to clear crap out of my garage!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2019 at 4:10am
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

Thought about stainless, but I will be long gone before rusted bolts will be an issue.

I had rusted bolt issues after only a year or two in Ohio. 
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2019 at 5:19am
No road salt used here... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2019 at 5:45am
No salt?  You mean drivers are expected to learn how to drive in snow?  What a novel concept these days.  Even here in Colorado Springs they treat the roads to suit the people who come here from Texas, Florida, California, and the like.  Of course, they didn't do that when I first moved here in '91...

Back in Ohio I saw many times when more salt got thrown on the streets than snow fell.  That was in the area around Dayton, known as a GM town.  I have always suspected a connection there........
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2019 at 4:12am
Well, too much going on to get much progress on the Willys engine removal. Using what time I have free to get little details done....
Took the head to the machine shop - they hot tanked it & checked for flat.... it was fine, no machining needed. painted it & set it aside.
 Separated the intake/exhaust manifold, cleaned up the threads & replaced the bolts. Heat riser flap moves easily & with surprisingly little slop in the bushings. Plan on leaving that as is. Replacing heat riser spring, shield, stop, & arm. Dropped the manifold set off at the machine shop for them to hot tank & surface flat. 
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2019 at 1:29am
Well, just got a call from the machine shop..... the intake manifold has a big crack. 
Looks like I will be on the hunt for a replacement. Are any of the aftermarket ones any good?

mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2019 at 10:23pm
Mine was cracked too...I think I remember the machine shop welded up the cracks for me and then remachined the surfaces so they would be flat again...

Good luck with your rebuild...

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2020 at 2:04am
Yeah, they said they could have done that, but it was on one of the mounting flanges.
 All good, have an NOS one delivering Friday.

On a side note -- HOW ABOUT THOSE ROSE BOWL WINNING OREGON DUCKS!
 We eat Badger for dinner & Beavers for dessert.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 4:04am
Well, I have not given up on this project yet... life got in the way. Purchasing a hoist, engine stand, & load leveler to pull the engine. 
 I plan on fixing broken stud, pulling the oil pan to clean the sludge out & make sure the pickup screen is clear of gunk. Debating on pulling the pistons out to check the bearings & rings. Who knows what I will find.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2020 at 3:09am

Removing engine already.  Pulled generator, starter, & misc stuff in the way. Decided to tackle top bolts that everyone says are tough to get to. Was planning on jacking engine up & removing motor mounts for better access, but did not need to. Upper right side bolt & nut were maybe hand tight & came right out. Left side upper, well, was not there. Looks like bellhousing boss is partly broken off. 
 Had enough for the evening & covered it back up. In the home stretch....at least the removal part.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>