Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

The numbers on the SN, body and frame tags should all match.  These will not match the stamped engine number.  The  stamped ACM number on the toe board gusset will usually match the ACM number on the tailgate (mine are off by two) but will not match the engine or tag numbers...  

Basically, the L134 was produced for more than just the 2A and were taken off the engine line as needed.  The bodies early on were produced by ACM, their numbers stamped on the body, and delivered to Willys where they were renumbered with tags to match the SN.

It's neat if the tag numbers match, but  kind of indicative of nothing as they are reproduced and easily swapped.  There are loose relationships between the tagged, engine and ACM numbers but nothing direct.  My frame has been bubba'd and the tag missing.  I have a clean frame and a new matching tag waiting to go in.  Sometimes tags get swapped to get a jeep on paper.  

Bolding mine.

IMHO, All of the above is true.

No one I know would admit to doing the bolded part, but it has been done. As far as I know, it has always work well. 
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 4:20am
welcome aboard Len!  We are planning on running the Rubicon again this summer.  Get that jeep built and running and come along with us!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 6:19am
I am attempting to upload a Photo jpg.

So, here she is Guys ! .... in all of her glory .... my new mistress !

hahaha ........... still haven't tried to fire it up yet 1-20-2018.

The tailgate has been welded shut, with a real Funky but heavy duty spare tire carrier that is hinged on the bottom.   .... strange engineering.

But, it does have the draw-bar hitch and original front bumper, with tow-bar.
The jeep does tow very well.

I will post more photos after I get them downloaded off of my phone.

Len
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 10:55am
And so it begins Thumbs Up. Kinda odd the tailgate is welded (unless damaged somehow)... most times you find bolts through the chain hook slots.  Ya think it was welded to support the weight of the spare?

Observational only, tough to tell from the pic-  are those selectro or sears locking hubs?   I'm not seeing Willys stamps on the hood or windshield, the glass is one piece and the skirt looks a little tall (MB?  Other folks are way better at spotting that stuff, lol).

Outside of those couple cosmetic things looks like a solid start. Smile

Edited by mbullism - 21 Jan. 2018 at 10:58am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 4:13am
   Haha ...... yeah I am looking at a 3A windshield eventually.

I had a thought about the Body No. not matching the other tags, and i am going to share a story of how Soon a Body can be Switched.

1962 my Dad's hunting buddy bought a totaled 1962 Willys pickup which was only 2-months old. He pulled a cab from a '58 or '59 with the wide rear glass, and had the painter at the dealer paint the truck back to the pretty turquise and white 2-tone. I rode all over northern California in Modoc and Tehama Counties deer hunting riding in the back of the pickup. I was 10 yrs old.
   My dad's hunting buddy had that Willys pickup from 1962 until 2006.

That was One-Quick-Body-Switch ....... 2-months old and Boom .... total.

When i bought my 2A i figured it wouldn't have the original body just due to unforseen circumstances like showing-off to the Girlfriend or too much Beer.

or BOTH .......... YIKES ...... steer-clear

Back in the late '50's, my dad would put us 3-kids into a Refridgerator Box as a portable camper to ride in the back of our '53 Willys pickup.
   He would take his pocket-knife and cut window flap holes on the sides.
   Let the good-times Roll.

Today Jan mon. 22, i have not yet turned the engine over.
It's raining, and i have been busy restoring a Ford YT-16 rider mower 1984 model.

I guess i should start a Build-Thread in the Projects Section.

Len
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12